• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And I would agree!
When my son Brennan was 13, we had gone to see 3 Wilco shows on the east coast together. The last was in D.C. so we were flying home from "Ronald Reagan National Airport". This was 2004 and Reagan had just died, so many dignitaries were flying in for the memorial ceremonies. We had decided to visit the World War Two Memorial in order to take some photos for my dad, a WWII vet. As we walked around under an intense summer sun, there was a commotion, and there was Rudy Guiliani with his entourage. A woman nearby had a young son in a wheelchair, and she asked Rudy if he'd take a photo with her boy. Well, MY boy wasn't paying attention and had wandered off, but I saw my opportunity, and as Rudy wrapped up with the handicapped child, I asked meekly if we could get a photo as well. He was all giant teeth and smiles, and I grabbed Brennan and hissed in his ear that we were going to take a picture, JUST DO IT. So with Rudy instructing me on the use of my own camera ("You need to open the lens more") (No Rudy this is as far as it opens), we captured our historically bizarre photograph. Here you go.

EW!!! Ew, ew, ew, I let him touch my boy! He didn't seem quite as dodgey and strange back then!

Brennan doesn't seem too scarred by the incident. After the photo, after Rudy's group had wandered away, Brennan turned to me, squinting in the sun, and said, "Who WAS that?!?" :P Just a twisted little piece of history, son.

IM003700.JPG

That is HILARIOUS and thank you for sharing. I still remember watching him on 9/11 going to ground zero and he seemed so... competent, at least to me as a teenager. My theory is he's always been a weirdo (wasn't his first wife his cousin??) But he's either gotten worse at hiding it as he gets older or he feels comfortable being more publicly creepy with Trump in charge. 

3 hours ago, kidsmoke said:

And I would agree!
When my son Brennan was 13, we had gone to see 3 Wilco shows on the east coast together. The last was in D.C. so we were flying home from "Ronald Reagan National Airport". This was 2004 and Reagan had just died, so many dignitaries were flying in for the memorial ceremonies. We had decided to visit the World War Two Memorial in order to take some photos for my dad, a WWII vet. As we walked around under an intense summer sun, there was a commotion, and there was Rudy Guiliani with his entourage. A woman nearby had a young son in a wheelchair, and she asked Rudy if he'd take a photo with her boy. Well, MY boy wasn't paying attention and had wandered off, but I saw my opportunity, and as Rudy wrapped up with the handicapped child, I asked meekly if we could get a photo as well. He was all giant teeth and smiles, and I grabbed Brennan and hissed in his ear that we were going to take a picture, JUST DO IT. So with Rudy instructing me on the use of my own camera ("You need to open the lens more") (No Rudy this is as far as it opens), we captured our historically bizarre photograph. Here you go.

EW!!! Ew, ew, ew, I let him touch my boy! He didn't seem quite as dodgey and strange back then!

Brennan doesn't seem too scarred by the incident. After the photo, after Rudy's group had wandered away, Brennan turned to me, squinting in the sun, and said, "Who WAS that?!?" :P Just a twisted little piece of history, son.

IM003700.JPG

I can't help it...all I can think about right now is your son making a fist with his left hand and giving Rudy a quick punch to the nuts.

Man, I was feeling low on Wednesday morning. I think it all turned around for me when Biden took the lead in MI later that morning, and all Vegas betting lines started to heavily favor him. (Biden's chances, according to betting lines, fell as low as 25% sometime late Tuesday night, but were up to 90% by noon the next day)

Over the weekend, I read that Biden will end up with 306 electoral votes, assuming he ends up winning PA, AZ, and GA. Which would be more electoral votes than Donald received in 216 (he had 304) - which is great for a number of reasons, but mainly: 1) Trump has always called his 304 electoral vote victory a landslide. So what's a landslide plus 2? 2) This time around he would end up with less electoral votes than Hillary did 4 years ago, which I would have to imagine would piss him off to no end. 

I've seen many many humorous references to STOP THE COUNT - from sports teams sitting atop their division, to birthday celebrations. 

The best tweet over the weekend was Trumps on Saturday morning, where he declared, in all-caps, that HE WON, BY A LOT. 

We cranked Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" to volume 11 Saturday night, and our kids had a blast. 

Nice to feel a bit of relief for once after the past four years. I wish I could actually feel happy about it  - I thought I would be ecstatic about a Biden win, but without the senate it feels like a bit of a hollow victory. Obviously the two GA seats are still a possibility, but even winning one of those would be extremely lucky and we need both for a majority. I suspect Biden will have to issue a ton of executive orders to make any progress at all over the next 2 years minimum. 

1 minute ago, Neuroglue said:

Nice to feel a bit of relief for once after the past four years. I wish I could actually feel happy about it  - I thought I would be ecstatic about a Biden win, but without the senate it feels like a bit of a hollow victory. Obviously the two GA seats are still a possibility, but even winning one of those would be extremely lucky and we need both for a majority. I suspect Biden will have to issue a ton of executive orders to make any progress at all over the next 2 years minimum. 

I think Warnock could win handily, but Ossoff will be tougher. He's been demonized as a pawn of Nancy Pelosi in that race, so he's got an uphill battle. Still, worth fighting for!

7 minutes ago, kidsmoke said:

I think Warnock could win handily, but Ossoff will be tougher. He's been demonized as a pawn of Nancy Pelosi in that race, so he's got an uphill battle. Still, worth fighting for!

Yeah looking at the current percentages, I think you might be right about Warnock, but it's still going to be a tough fight. Loeffler would actually have a plurality right now if it wasn't for Collins splitting the vote. With Collins out of the race I worry his supporters will shift to Loeffler instead. 

In any case, I wouldn't want to live in Georgia the next couple of months. I don't even live in a swing state and I've gotten probably a hundred different political calls and texts in the last couple of weeks, not to mention the political mail. I can't even imagine the bombardment Georgia residents will be under. 

As an aside: Has that ever worked on anyone? The random phone calls and messages from god knows who, who lives god knows where, asking me for my support of some candidate? By the 10th or 15th text I'm ready to vote for the opposition purely out of spite. I hope the dems are brainstorming some GOTV ideas to appeal to younger generations - AOC's recent "Among Us" livestream was a really engaging and unconventional idea and I'd love to see more stuff like that. I think I speak for most millennials/Gen-Z'ers when I say that nobody reads political text messages or picks up phone calls from random numbers. 

If any of you know any 17 year olds (or, more likely, their parents...who am I kidding, we're all pushing 50 here) in Georgia who are turning 18 very soon, please ask them to register to vote.  You can register to vote for this election until December 7, as long as you are 17.5 years old.  And you can vote on January 5 if you have turned 18 by then.  Anyone in Georgia can vote  in this runoff.  Unlike some runoffs, you do not have to have voted in the general election to be eligible to vote.

https://thecivicscenter.org/blog/2020/11/6/young-people-could-decide-the-georgia-runoff-races-for-us-senate

I tend to agree that Warnock has a better shot than Ossoff.  Being the pastor at MLK's church goes a long way in this city.  And, unlike Ossoff, he's running against a rookie who has never been elected (Loeffler was handed her seat by the governor after Johnny Isakson stepped down for health reasons mid-term).  

14 hours ago, jff said:

If any of you know any 17 year olds (or, more likely, their parents...who am I kidding, we're all pushing 50 here) in Georgia who are turning 18 very soon, please ask them to register to vote.  You can register to vote for this election until December 7, as long as you are 17.5 years old.  And you can vote on January 5 if you have turned 18 by then.  Anyone in Georgia can vote  in this runoff.  Unlike some runoffs, you do not have to have voted in the general election to be eligible to vote.

https://thecivicscenter.org/blog/2020/11/6/young-people-could-decide-the-georgia-runoff-races-for-us-senate

I tend to agree that Warnock has a better shot than Ossoff.  Being the pastor at MLK's church goes a long way in this city.  And, unlike Ossoff, he's running against a rookie who has never been elected (Loeffler was handed her seat by the governor after Johnny Isakson stepped down for health reasons mid-term).  

I don't have a lot of funds to spare at the moment, but I made small donations to the campaigns of Warnock and Ossoff. This Mississippi native (who grew up with Stacey Abrams and her sister Leslie, who's a federal judge) is very proud of Georgia.  

On 11/10/2020 at 8:15 PM, Boss_Tweedy said:

I don't have a lot of funds to spare at the moment, but I made small donations to the campaigns of Warnock and Ossoff. This Mississippi native (who grew up with Stacey Abrams and her sister Leslie, who's a federal judge) is very proud of Georgia.  

Every bit helps! I'll be donating to them too. I was already a Warnock supporter, now I'm happy to support both.

On 11/10/2020 at 11:15 PM, Boss_Tweedy said:

Thank you for that!