While this space continues to be an uncommonly civil place on the web for political discourse, we got awfully slow last year probably from exhaustion and burnout. The Trump years have taken their toll.

The ongoing barn storm of this presidential term may render anyone to be understandably disinterested in analyzing every flaming turd of political news flying at us daily, but it does not change the sheer academic curiosity that is the impeachment proceedings. This is an experiment in American civics that threatens to test the very notion of checks and balances. 

In other news we have potential war with Iran.....

That's all I've got. Talk amongst yourselves.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just try to get through the daily grind, and take solace in the happiness and peace of mind I get when I'm home with my family.

I have no confidence in the impeachment proceedings - I think they'll only make Trump's base stronger and more resolute. I think there's no possible positive outcome from the Iran situation, and I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for a Trump re-election, whether legitimate or not. 

I'm wondering if Bolton's willingness to testify is a result of his calculation that the situation in the Senate is so in the GOP's pocket that he'll never have to.

Schiff should invite him to testify to house intel, now that he’s had this change of heart.

I think the Democrats are making a huge miscalculation if they expect the likes of Bolton and Mulvaney to help them make their case.  Be careful what you wish for.

Bolton has been one of the most batshit warhawks to ever enter politics in this country in my lifetime since Wallace tapped Curtis LeMay for his VP in '68. If Democrats think he will help their case it shows how things desperate things can get when there is total obstruction from the Executive Branch (documents, testimony, etc.). To even entertain the idea that Bolton was a voice of reason in the room when he was in the WH reveals how beyond the pale we are at this point. 

Bolton has been one of the most batshit warhawks to ever enter politics in this country in my lifetime since Wallace tapped Curtis LeMay for his VP in '68. If Democrats think he will help their case it shows how things desperate things can get when there is total obstruction from the Executive Branch (documents, testimony, etc.). To even entertain the idea that Bolton was a voice of reason in the room when he was in the WH reveals how beyond the pale we are at this point. 

I agree, and disagree. Most anything in Bolton's spidery attic of neocon policies is abhorrent to me. Yet within that worldview is a form of patriotism (perhaps even nationalism) that however violent, still operates with a certain code of ethics. Bolton may celebrate the bombing of civilians to exert force on the world, but he wouldn't celebrate a U.S. politician pressuring a foreign government to investigate an American. By all accounts he was strongly against it. On top of that he has personal beef with Trump now. All of this coupled with the fact that he may be at the end of his career could give him great satisfaction in throwing Trump under the bus (see John McCain's thumbs down while voting on Trump's crap health care bill).

Then again, this could all be wrong. It's hard to find patterns in a system so chaotic.

I agree with lost highway -- Trump and the R's do not want Bolton to testify -- out in the press there has been the whole narrative of Bolton stating: “I am not part of whatever drug deal Sondland and Mulvaney are cooking up,”

It's hard to find patterns in a system so chaotic.

That really jumps out at me. As woefully incompetent as most of this administration is they seem to grasp the value of obfuscation and the blurring of reality. It seems to be the whole point for them.

That really jumps out at me. As woefully incompetent as most of this administration is they seem to grasp the value of obfuscation and the blurring of reality. It seems to be the whole point for them.

Yep, create so much chaos nobody can stay on the trail of any single misdeed. 

Do one thing, and if there's serious pushback, do a few other things, most of which go unnoticed or underreported.  Maybe one will get seriously called out, but you've accomplished five other nefarious things in the meantime.   Then when one starts getting attention, do something bigger, and everyone will forget about the first one.

How many times during this administration have people said "we're in a constitutional crisis"?   And how many of those things can people even remember at this point?

They're very good at getting things that would blow up in anyone else's faces, and derail entire presidencies to NOT blow up in their own faces, and be seen as just more of the same.

They're very good at getting things that would blow up in anyone else's faces, and derail entire presidencies to NOT blow up in their own faces, and be seen as just more of the same.

Remember when misspelling potato pretty much derailed not only the political career of one man, but an entire administration?  

This kind of speaks to recent points you guys are making:

It's interesting to me that the scramble to support the assassination of Soleimani has only gotten messier and they haven't really put up anything to back their decision..... annnnd it seems like the media and the public has all but moved on in a week.

This kind of speaks to recent points you guys are making:

It's interesting to me that the scramble to support the assassination of Soleimani has only gotten messier and they haven't really put up anything to back their decision..... annnnd it seems like the media and the public has all but moved on in a week.

Can a President be impeached multiple times?  Asking for a friend.  

None of the three contestants on Jeopardy! last night could identify a picture of Adam Schiff.  I understand last night's episode was taped two months ago.  At that time, the impeachment hearing was underway and Schiff was one of the highest profile members of our government.

It's scary to think smart people have taken their eye off the ball. 

I've been hearing about things that are "really damaging to Trump" since before the 2016 election. I think it's time to face the facts that there isn't such a thing as "really damaging to Trump."

Yeah - people on Fifth Avenue better watch out....

Hopefully, history will fix all this within 10 years or so. My hope is by the 2032 Presidential election, all this will have pass. 

Many polls show Americans want to hear from witnesses in the impeachment trial.  Please consider calling your senators 202-225-3121.  

also, this from yesterday...https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/22/davos-2020-cnbcs-full-interview-with-president-trump.html

JOE KERNEN: Do I dare-- one last question.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Go ahead.

JOE KERNEN: Entitlements ever be on your plate?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: At some point they will be. We have tremendous growth. We’re going to have tremendous growth. This next year I-- it’ll be toward the end of the year. The growth is going to be incredible. And at the right time, we will take a look at that. You know, that’s actually the easiest of all things, if you look, cause it’s such a--