Your Top 3 Stone Songs and Why..?

Something fun, perhaps swap some song / stories around them.

1) Midnight Rambler - Being from Boston and just a kid of 12 when it came out I started to like it, and purchased My first Stones Album; Get Yer Yah Yahs Out
2) Brown Sugar after completing Walk For Hunger walk at 13, I  arrived on the Boston Common to hear opening chords of Brown Sugar was being played live by a local band .
It stuck with me.
3) Honky Tonk Women - Always a fun one when The Stones do it live. It was the first song I sang with my buddies cover band.

What's Some of Yours and Why..?

I enjoy the Stones I would call myself a casual fan only have a few albums seen them live 3 times my favorites are:

Singer Not the Song-just really enjoy the guitar in this song gets me every time

19th Nervous Breakdown- Fun song was lucky to hear it live first time I saw them

Love is Strong- I was 14 when this came out and I remember the video being played all the time.

I had the same discussion with a friend of mine last week.  My top 3 are:

Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Monkey Man

Sympathy For The Devil

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Monkey Man

Sympathy For The Devil

I was thinking Monkey Man and Sympathy are in mine too. 

Monkey Man because I discovered late in my life. My brother put it on a mix tape for me when I was nearly 30. Not sure how such a rocking song didn't make it on the radio more.

Sympathy because it's Sympathy, right? Also, the history major in me appreciates it.

My third might be Waiting on a Friend. Weird choice? I was a product of the MTV age and liked that video much more than Start Me Up. Also, I became a big jazz fan in my 20s and had the chance to see Sonny Rollins live, so when I learned that he played the sax solo on that song, it propelled my love for it.

• 3 months later...

Winter (This song doesn't have any Keith on it and it almost sounds like a Van Morrison track, but I love the mood and feeling of it. Used to play this song in one of my old bands.)

Rocks Off (One of the greatest album openers ever. Pure, exuberant Rock and Roll.)

Dead Flowers (A friend and I played guitars and sang this one so many times one late drunken night, we actually had a neighbor yell at us to play another song.)

Bonus:

Gimme Shelter (Merry Clayton's vocals on this just kill me.)

Sympathy for the Devil (Always loved this song, and that guitar solo at the end always gets me too)

On 6/23/2021 at 10:28 AM, Chez said:

Monkey Man

Sympathy For The Devil

Re :Can't You Hear Me Knocking\

Heard Warren Haynes do a nice cover of this in Boston 2 weeks ago.

Jason Isbel. Covered it in an Encore last week as well.

Nice homage to Charlie Watts. 

The song does have a great groove,

• 1 month later...

Tumbling Dice - so gloriously behind the beat with the Exile sound!

Bitch - it rocks perhaps the hardest with the best horn part in a Stones song

Honky Tonk Women - quintessential Stones with that cowbell opener, just can't beat it.  It could sum up the Stones in just one song for someone who knew nothing about them.

For me best Stones is '69 -''72 but I don't disagree with any of the songs others chose

1 hour ago, Analogman said:

Tumbling Dice - I love that live version from the 72 tour. You can see Keith telling Mick "to stop playing" the riff. 

Are you talking about the Ladies and Gentlemen's release? 

12 hours ago, roadhse ma said:

Saw that as an early teen mid 70s in a theatre it was decent 

Have not seen it since/ maybe time to revisit. 

The Stones re-released it in the theaters in 2010 - it was cool to see on the big screen.

Re-watched during  DVD binge, after Charlie passed away. 

On 11/17/2021 at 12:11 PM, Analogman said:

Tumbling Dice - I love that live version from the 72 tour. You can see Keith telling Mick "to stop playing" the riff. 

It looks like Mick Taylor started to solo a bit and Keith did not like that --- he just wanted to vamp the riff while Jagger sang the "got to roll" bit.