First day of Seattle shut down. Just had to go out & get some blood drawn. It was spooky out there. Very few people or cars. Looked like original Day the Earth Stood Still. At least it didn't look like a Living Dead sequel like NYC. Feel bad for those folks.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For anyone in the US who is interested here is the link to order 4 free home test kits from the US government:   https://www.covidtests.gov/

I got my 2nd booster shot yesterday. I don't feel out of it this time. But there is a big knot on my arm again. I think last time it was sore for over a week.

I did a test this morning & it came back negative, yay. Still pretty weak but at least that hurdle is cleared.

First day of Seattle shut down. Just had to go out & get some blood drawn. It was spooky out there. Very few people or cars. Looked like original Day the Earth Stood Still. At least it didn't look like a Living Dead sequel like NYC. Feel bad for those folks.

Glad you’re ok. Negative is good!
The US army is turning the events/convention center attached to the football stadium where the Stones played last summer into a large field hospital in Seattle. It will be use for non COVID-19 patients to take some pressure off the local hospitals. 

I've been watching the daily briefing of the US task force with the president. It's quite a spectacle. I watched on CNN & as the president was throwing NY governor Cuomo under the bus there was screen crawl where Cuomo directly called the president a liar about ventilators being stored in a warehouse in NJ. There also seemed to be some discrepancies involving statements being made about General Motors. 

The president seems to especially dislike my governor Inslee of Washington & mentioned him in a less than positive light several times. He said he won't call Inslee. Recently Inslee has taken a lot of proactive action to try & slow the spread of the virus. He has also taken the initiative to open negotiations directly with China to get much needed supplies & equipment. 

Apparently the vice president is keeping communications open to everyone regardless of politics & rhetoric. I'm not a huge fan of vice president Pence but applaud his efforts to see the bigger picture & take action. The whole situation seems extremely dysfunctional on all sides. I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone. 

I think there is room for all parties to improve in the interest of actually working to slow the spread of the virus & save some lives. Now is not the time for partisan politics by anyone regardless of affiliation. I hope all aspects of all governments can work together for the common good of the entire world. Hopefully this can lead to a better world for everyone in the aftermath of the virus. 

This was basically an editorial by myself based on observations after much reading & viewing of news. I hope I haven't offended anyone as it was not my aim to accuse anyone of anything. Benjamin Franklin, 1 of the founding fathers of the US, had an excellent quote that is as appropriate for these times as it was over 200 years ago: "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." 

Again I want to thank everyone who was concerned about my well being while I was trying to get a test & eventually getting the test that showed I don't have the virus. I still have some serious health issues but now am able to work on getting them solved. These days not knowing whilst having some symptoms is almost akin to being a leper & rightly so. I hope everyone is safe & well. Take care, Chuck

My test came back negative. Still need to be careful but at least don't have to do full quarantine.

Excellent news! I’ve been a diabetic since April 2018 & I actually feel a lot better from dietary changes and more exercise, so I feel a bit indestructible, but I’ve noticed that when I’ve gotten sick it’s taken a bit more time to heal.

Sports notes: (this should really be in the Silver Linings thread, but I’ll put it here since folks mentioned not being able to watch sports.) If you haven’t cut the cord, then you should be enjoying lots of old classic games from all 4 major sports.

Today you can catch Game 7 of the 2016 World Series between the Cubs & Indians on your local FOX affiliate. It’s on at 3pm EST. Tomorrow you can catch the Patriots/Falcons OT Super Bowl on your local FOX affiliate. It’s on at 3pm EST.

NFL Network has been airing old Super Bowls dating back to 2001. I finally got to watch 3 Super Bowls that I missed: Giants/Ravens in 2001, Buccaneers/Raiders in 2003, & Steelers/Seahawks in 2006. I think I was better off not watching them. Really bad games. No wonder NFL Network barely airs those 3.

NESN has been airing the 2011 Stanley Cup Championship run of the Boston Bruins. Warts & all. NESN has been airing the 2013 Boston Red World Series title run, but only the games that they won. I finally got to watch Game 2 of the ALDS against the Tampa Bay Rays. I was at Bill Maher that night. I also missed ALCS Games 3 & 4 where I was at Pearl Jam.

NBC Sports aired the best OT Stanley Cup playoff games last Monday. And they’ve sprinkled in other playoff games throughout the weeknights.

MLB Network has been also airing classic MLB games from different eras.

I even saw Wrestlemania listed on ESPN last Sunday night. Strange times indeed.

I’m sure lots of these classic games can also be found on YouTube. Or I’d imagine that your local sports team’s channel is throwing back to classic games during this time period.

^^^ Yep.   Just finished watching a replay of the Greatest NCAA Tournement Game Of All Time -- Illinois 90 Arizona 89 (OT) in the 2005 Midwest Regional Finals. My spirits have been lifted (for now).

^^^ Yep.   Just finished watching a replay of the Greatest NCAA Tournement Game Of All Time -- Illinois 90 Arizona 89 (OT) in the 2005 Midwest Regional Finals. My spirits have been lifted (for now).

That was a great game -- I have always watched the Ilini play since I was a kid and was really happy when Weber got the coaching gig, since I was a SIU grad - even though Weber started coaching SIU after I graduated. 

That was a great game -- I have always watched the Ilini play since I was a kid and was really happy when Weber got the coaching gig, since I was a SIU grad - even though Weber started coaching SIU after I graduated. 

Illinois was the best team in the county in 2004-2005. It's too bad they couldn't win that final game against NC.  Thankfully, the 2005 White Sox came along . . .

Anyway, sorry for the hijack. Back to COVID-19

Not good. Apparently John is in critical condition and has been intubated.

Just read an post from John’s wife Fiona saying that he is now stable. So I’m gonna allow myself to be a little hopeful?

Please please get better John!

Fiona had the virus and is recovered.

Damn it now Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne is in a coma from Covid-19 he’s been on a respirator for 2 weeks

IVY (@IvyFanPage) Tweeted:

Sad news friends,

Adam Schlesinger who is 52 year old from Ivy and the Fountains of Wayne has been on a ventilator for 2 weeks (and is in a medical induced coma) because of COVID-19.

We send our prayers to him, his family and doctors. https://t.co/j1zImgzWKk

definitely prayers up for him

Damn it now Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne is in a coma from Covid-19 he’s been on a respirator for 2 weeks

IVY (@IvyFanPage) Tweeted:

Sad news friends,

Adam Schlesinger who is 52 year old from Ivy and the Fountains of Wayne has been on a ventilator for 2 weeks (and is in a medical induced coma) because of COVID-19.

We send our prayers to him, his family and doctors. https://t.co/j1zImgzWKk

His lawyer, Josh Grier (who I think is/was Wilco's lawyer as well), says he is not in a medically-induced coma: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/fountains-of-wayne-adam-schlesinger-hospital-coronavirus-975653/

In 2003 Fountains of Wayne was on before Wilco on the same stage at Summerfest. Fifteen year old me was out of my mind happy.

I was there, too! That's still one of my favorite concert-going memories, seeing two of my favorite bands at the time back-to-back. (I was almost 30, but felt giddy as a 15-year-old.) 

As for the news about Adam, I'm still reeling. (Just last week I was watching an old FoW DVD, a concert film called "No Better Place: Live in Chicago.")

I was there, too! That's still one of my favorite concert-going memories, seeing two of my favorite bands at the time back-to-back. (I was almost 30, but felt giddy as a 15-year-old.) 

As for the news about Adam, I'm still reeling. (Just last week I was watching an old FoW DVD, a concert film called "No Better Place: Live in Chicago.")

My earliest memory of Fountains of Wayne with the perfect song for the times then and now.

That Fountain of Wayne's cover of Better Things is fantastic. I love the song, and had never heard their version. I have heard of the band, but never paid attention to them. Now I will dig into their catalogue.

I kinda freaked out when I read about Adam Schlesinger's death from COVID-19. We are the same age, and I was smack in the middle of fighting it off.

First symptoms appeared two weeks ago today - fatigue, body aches, and an odd sensation - like a cross between vertigo and being hooked up to a low-level electrical charge. Instead of light-headed, it felt like I was light-bodied. And this light-bodiedness came from inside my torso, and I felt it throughout my body. Never, never felt anything like it. Like something foreign had invaded my body. That lasted four days. Then, after that, four days of being a little more tired than usual. I thought I was through it.

I woke up Sunday with difficulty breathing. It got worse as the day went on, and I did a tele-health visit with a doctor (who happens to be a parent at the school where I work). Plan was to check in the next day, unless it got worse, in which case I would go to the ER. No sleep that night - every time I drifted off, I snapped awake because my regular breathing couldn't give me enough oxygen. Like sucking air through a straw, or having a good chunk of your lungs cut out.

I went to a COVID clinic on Monday. It was like a sci-fi movie set. Dr. visit in a parking lot, under a tent. The doctor went off to confer with other doctors about testing me. Because I am not over 60, I could not identify someone who I had come in contact with who has been diagnosed with COVID-19, and I am usually in good health, I did not qualify, but he was certain I have it. When he came back to talk with me, the look in his eyes (and I could only see his eyes) was clear: this is a shit-show, we should clearly test you, but we cannot because we have to ration the tests. I never knew the eyes could tell so much. I had a chest x-ray. Then he consulted with other doctors about admitting me to the hospital. They decided not to, which turned out to be a good decision. My symptoms improved that evening, and I have gotten a little better each day since. I am self-quarantined in my house. My wife or kids drop off my meals outside my bedroom door, I facetime people who are in my own house, etc.

So what did I take away from this? That I was lucky it wasn't worse. That our health care folks really are heroes (I thanked every one of them effusively). That this virus is powerful. That our health care system is a crapshow, the doctors and nurses I interacted with know it, and they feel badly about it. That there are not nearly enough tests available. That this means our count is way under-reported (for instance, I am not counted in the statistics because I did not get tested, not to mention the people who have symptoms, but they do not rise to the level of needing to see a doctor). I learned that, yes, the toll on our economy is brutal, but the virus is way more brutal.

Stay at home if you can. Stay safe.