6/28/06 -- Calgary, Alberta

Wow, where to begin?

Well, first off, Jeff came on stage wearing a seersucker suit...and a big black moon boot over his lower right leg! He proceeded to hobble around most of the night. Poor guy. :no There was this white chair on stage all night behind Nels that had a cool-looking Wilco design on it (apparently drawn or painted by one of the band's techs) and Jeff apparently had doctor's orders to sit down for the show. Instead he toughed it out like a hockey player, though it couldn't have been easy to negotiate all of his pedals with that boot on. Obviously there wasn't much of a Hummingbird dance, either. As Jeff eventually explained to the crowd, he has stress fractures from too much running. He seemed to suggest that he has them in both legs, but apparently the right one is significantly worse. He also said that his wife had instructed him to tell the audience that she said he was "a dumbass." :P

On top of all that, the band debuted a song. According to the setlist, it's called Impossible Germany. I would describe it as another fairly straightforward mid-tempo tune, but with some nifty lyrics, most of which I barely caught. I hesitate to even mention any lyrics, for fear of getting them wrong, but I think part of the chorus goes something like, "This is still new to me/It's not what I planned/Impossible Germany/A lack of Japan." For me, the highlight of the song was a solo by Nels that started out sort of lilting a la Ashes of American Flags, but then gradually built and built in intensity for several minutes until he was really shredding by the end. I'm anxious to hear it again to pick up more of what I missed. Since it came so early in the set, it kind of caught me off guard...

Another highlight for me was the first encore. There was a nifty little segue from Misunderstood right into Wishful Thinking that I don't think I had heard before. And then another segue right into Spiders.

The first show of the tour, so I think everybody was a bit rusty. It wasn't the technically best show, not by a long shot, but unless you've really seen them a lot or are a good musician, you could barely tell that there was some shaking off of the cobwebs to be done as the tour kicked off.

Here's the setlist:

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany*

IATTBYH

Muzzle of Bees

A Shot in the Arm

At Least That's What You Said

Jesus, etc.

Walken

Airline to Heaven

Forget the Flowers

Hummingbird

Theologians

War on War

Kingpin

I'm The Man Who Loves You

-------------------------------

Misunderstood>

Wishful Thinking>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats>

Monday

"This is still new to me/It's not what I planned/Impossible Germany/A lack of Japan."

perhaps something to do with the Axis losing WW2?

EDIT: also, how many posts til someone bitches about the setlist?

Edited by aricandover
Wow, where to begin?

Well, first off, Jeff came on stage wearing a seersucker suit...and a big black moon boot over his lower right leg! He proceeded to hobble around most of the night. Poor guy. :no There was this white chair on stage all night behind Nels that had a cool-looking Wilco design on it (apparently drawn or painted by one of the band's techs) and Jeff apparently had doctor's orders to sit down for the show. Instead he toughed it out like a hockey player, though it couldn't have been easy to negotiate all of his pedals with that boot on. Obviously there wasn't much of a Hummingbird dance, either. As Jeff eventually explained to the crowd, he has stress fractures from too much running. He seemed to suggest that he has them in both legs, but apparently the right one is significantly worse. He also said that his wife had instructed him to tell the audience that she said he was "a dumbass." :P

On top of all that, the band debuted a song. According to the setlist, it's called Impossible Germany. I would describe it as another fairly straightforward mid-tempo tune, but with some nifty lyrics, most of which I barely caught. I hesitate to even mention any lyrics, for fear of getting them wrong, but I think part of the chorus goes something like, "This is still new to me/It's not what I planned/Impossible Germany/A lack of Japan." For me, the highlight of the song was a solo by Nels that started out sort of lilting a la Ashes of American Flags, but then gradually built and built in intensity for several minutes until he was really shredding by the end. I'm anxious to hear it again to pick up more of what I missed. Since it came so early in the set, it kind of caught me off guard...

Another highlight for me was the first encore. There was a nifty little segue from Misunderstood right into Wishful Thinking that I don't think I had heard before. And then another segue right into Spiders.

The first show of the tour, so I think everybody was a bit rusty. It wasn't the technically best show, not by a long shot, but unless you've really seen them a lot or are a good musician, you could barely tell that there was some shaking off of the cobwebs to be done as the tour kicked off.

Here's the setlist:

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany*

IATTBYH

Muzzle of Bees

A Shot in the Arm

Jesus, etc.

Walken

Airline to Heaven

Forget the Flowers

Hummingbird

Theologians

War on War

Kingpin

Misunderstood>

Wishful Thinking>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats>

Monday

*—first time played

thanks for the report, paul. it's killing me that i'm going to miss them this time around! waiting until lolla (which i'm only mildly excited for) and then lansing might be the end of me!

my question is, with a title like "impossible germany", are lyrics more abstract?...i don't know how you could be super straightforward lyrically, based on the direction the chorus seems to be going.

regardless, thanks for the update, and, to you all, keep those setlists coming in the next few weeks...i want to live vicariously through all of you! :cheers

perhaps something to do with the Axis losing WW2?

EDIT: also, how many posts til someone bitches about the setlist?

at least two. :blush

can the new tune be compared to anything else in their back catalogue?

oh, and thanks for the setlist!

As for comparisons, I dunno. It's hard for me to compare songs other than tempo. It's definitely not a rave-up rocker like Dreamer In My Dreams or a punky number like Outtasite or I'm A Wheel. I guess I want to say Ashes of American Flags, but probably only because of the Nels solo. I'd have to get another listen to it to make any sort of decent comparison comment, though.

Not that I like to compare songs anyway, but actually my first thought was that it sounded almost like a Loose Fur song. But I'm so bad at describing songs, so who knows?

Oh, and Jen, I meant straightforward as in tempo not necessarily the lyrics...:)

He proceeded to hobble around most of the night.

How very Sooz of him!

Thanks for the info, especially about the new song. Anything that provokes a comparison to Nels' Ashes solos is something I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing.

actually my first thought was that it sounded almost like a Loose Fur song.

First or second album?

I have not seen Wilco for about two years (this was my eighth time). I thought the show was great. The entire band was in the best mood that I have ever seen them. Joking around and laughing at each other during and inbetween songs.

Jeff talked more than I remember, crafting some great stories. Escpecially about his foot. He was at his best, and seemed comforatble in a "i'm in a cast" kind of way. He talked about how this is a "pain-killer" free recovery. His suit was cool (he wore it at soundcheck too). But it made him look heavier.

Glen was on fire... it is worth the price alone to watch him drum. And I love watching John groove. Nels really makes the band osund better.

Impossible Germany (second song) was like something that could have been on YHF.

I went by around 4:00 to pick up tickets and they were doing soundcheck. I heard them do another new song that wasn't played. I also heard handshakes drugs before I left, but they were still going.

I agree with some of the previous posts that they had some interesting transitions between songs. New combos, etc. I liked the setlist, enough songs, spanning 10 years of music.

We are going to see them in edmonton tonight, so I will post again later today. Also, have some photos and video, but won't get to post these until I get home this weekend.

One other thing that I forgot to add above is that many of the songs were played at a slower tempo than on Kicking TV or some of the bootloegs i'v heard from last year. Handshake drugs, Spiders, Shot in the Arm, War on War come to mind.

Wow, where to begin?

Here's the setlist:

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany*

IATTBYH

Muzzle of Bees

A Shot in the Arm

Jesus, etc.

Walken

Airline to Heaven

Forget the Flowers

Hummingbird

Theologians

War on War

Kingpin

Misunderstood>

Wishful Thinking>

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Heavy Metal Drummer

The Late Greats>

Monday

How very Sooz of him!

Thanks for the info, especially about the new song. Anything that provokes a comparison to Nels' Ashes solos is something I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing.

First or second album?

I told him that he and Sooz would make quite a pair! :)

And second album, but after a night's sleep I'm not sure how confident I am in my LF comparison-it was just one of the first thoughts that popped into my head.

I'm anxious to hear it again to pick up more of what I missed. Since it came so early in the set, it kind of caught me off guard...

Now this is one wish that probably has a good chance of being fulfilled. :) Thanks for the reviews. It's been too long since our last bbop missive. Bummer about Jeff's injuries, and they must be frustrating. Seersucker suit and moon boots, though ... could be a new fashion trend. I'm looking forward to Summerfest, and hearing whatever they decide to play. Maybe they'll debut a new song about Mars Cheese Castle there!

Well, first off, Jeff came on stage wearing a seersucker suit...and a big black moon boot over his lower right leg! He proceeded to hobble around most of the night. ... As Jeff eventually explained to the crowd, he has stress fractures from too much running. He seemed to suggest that he has them in both legs, but apparently the right one is significantly worse.

:o Ouch! Maybe Jeff can take up nordic walking instead. Apparently, the sport hasn't taken off in North America because there isn't a celebrity like Oprah to endorse it (yet). The dork factor is kinda high, but it's a good way to stay fit as you recover from an injury like that. I just bought a pair of OS2 trekker poles and it's actually a pretty good workout.

Chimo, Paul! I hope the travel guide to Canada is serving you well in my absence. Just sprinkle a few "inuksuks," "ookpiks," and "chinooks" into the conversation and you'll fit right in. :P Have fun in Edmonton tonight.

I wonder if they'll bust out some Guess Who covers in Winnipeg on Canada Day? Should be crazy!

And second album, but after a night's sleep I'm not sure how confident I am in my LF comparison-it was just one of the first thoughts that popped into my head.

That's the best we can ask for -- it's difficult for anyone to describe non-genre songs (excepting Uyen, who seems to have a freakish knack for describing strange music).

That's the best we can ask for -- it's difficult for anyone to describe non-genre songs (excepting Uyen, who seems to have a freakish knack for describing strange music).

She does seem to have a freakish knack that way, doesn't she? :D

I had stress fractures in both legs from running too much my senior year of high school. It's not really that fun. Not worse than driving in one of those little European cars and hitting a tree or anything, but it's semi-painful.

Man.... What a grat show last night. The new song right at the start caught me a bit off guard too, I'd love to have another listen. Looks like it was recorded so hopefully I'll be able to track it down later.

Not much I can add that hasn't been said already. The solo in Impossible Germany was incredible. Seemed to me that the guys were all pretty tight last night, but it's only the 3rd time I've seen them so maybe I'm not the best judge of that. Either way, they put on a fantastic show despite Jeffs legs. I loved Kingpin and the jam and audience interaction... It was all great.

The crowd around me was all great as well, everyone was really into it and singing along all night. Plenty of goose bump, hair raising moments. I wish I could do it all over again tonight, but it's just not in the cards.