Jon Papelbon is the best baseball thread ever

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hence the firesales every few years. He is a fan of mediocrity.

:P

Do you even know anything about baseball, or do you just watch Baseball Tonight and listen to everything John Kruk says? I mean, really I love it when ignorant baseball fans say flat out untrue things about the Marlins.

It's kind of funny how managers and coaches wear uniforms in baseball. You don't see football coaches suiting up, or soccer coaches, or basketball or hockey or lacrosse coaches dolling up in the team unis. And come to think of it, how come the base coaches rarely stand in the boxes alotted them. And the on-deck guy never stands in the on-deck circle.

Do you even know anything about baseball, or do you just watch Baseball Tonight and listen to everything John Kruk says? I mean, really I love it when ignorant baseball fans say flat out untrue things about the Marlins.

I believe the :P infers a joke was being made.

But, actually....what part of his statement was untrue?

I have no idea if Loria is a baseball fan or not, but he doesn't have a great track record as a "baseball guy." His abandonment of the Expos was questionable (along with Selig's blessing) and he's been looking to shop the Marlins elsewhere as early as the end of last season. He's been regarded as a greedy owner by not a few in the media.

Today, I met Roger Kahn, author of The Boys of Summer and numerous other baseball books. Nice guy.

Today, I met Roger Kahn, author of The Boys of Summer and numerous other baseball books. Nice guy.

Sweet. Excellent writer and a baseball afficionado. Was this in the Hudson Valley area? I want to pick up his new book detailing his freindships with famous folks inside and outside of baseball. I forget the name of it but it's recent.

Yeah, he lives in the nice part of Ulster County and is pals with the Woodstock Times editor.

It's kind of funny how managers and coaches wear uniforms in baseball. You don't see football coaches suiting up, or soccer coaches, or basketball or hockey or lacrosse coaches dolling up in the team unis. And come to think of it, how come the base coaches rarely stand in the boxes alotted them. And the on-deck guy never stands in the on-deck circle.

Probably goes back to the days when many managers were player/managers...

Implies.

But, actually....what part of his statement was untrue?

The "fan of mediocrity" part. He's not a rich man by baseball owner's standards, so he can't afford to take a hit like a Ted Turner. But he's willing to put the money into it to a point before it gets out of hand.

And since 2002, what about the Marlins has been mediocre? They've been average or above average every season except 2002.

Average = mediocre.

Why is it that he has a $15 million payroll when teams make ~$30-60 million without selling a single ticket?

To make money. A lot of it. Still, they have won the World Series twice in their about 15 years of existence; a pretty good success rate.

Dear mr rain --

Sorry you couldn't make it to "sox-fest 06" at K&Gs last night. We are thinking of doing it again during another sox/kitties series.... Stay tuned for details....

Average = mediocre.

Why is it that he has a $15 million payroll when teams make ~$30-60 million without selling a single ticket?

Because the past 3 years he has lost 15 million a year. Trying to make some of it up.

Dear mr rain --

Sorry you couldn't make it to "sox-fest 06" at K&Gs last night. We are thinking of doing it again during another sox/kitties series.... Stay tuned for details....

Yes, I'm sorry to have missed it as well, but familial duty called, as it was my dad's first visit to Chicago since I moved here. Next time I will be there for sure though. And hopefully my team will play a little better.

Justin Verlander took the loss for the Tigers at Chicago. Verlander is 0-3 with a 9.88 ERA in three starts against the White Sox this season. He's 14-2 with a 2.20 ERA in 19 starts against all other major league teams this year.

Yeah, the Sox seem to have his number. He actually didn't even seem to be pitching all that badly on Friday night--his pitches were hitting their marks. But the Sox (especially that Thome homer--that hurt) were managing to connect on some bad pitches. A performance like that would have shut down most teams but the White Sox seem to have him figured out.

Saturday's game was much more heartbreaking though. Kenny Rogers was great, they got on the board first...but the defense was just absolutely horrible. Brandon Inge doesn't usually make throws like that. Guillen upset me even more with his error. What a mess.

The offense has looked bad all around in the last two games too (although in that game yesterday it would have been enough if not for the defensive blunders). Lately the Tigers have been completely unable to lay off the first pitch, or any after that. Don Slaught needs to crack down and get those guys taking some walks. Horrible.

Edited by MrRain422
The "fan of mediocrity" part. He's not a rich man by baseball owner's standards, so he can't afford to take a hit like a Ted Turner. But he's willing to put the money into it to a point before it gets out of hand.

And since 2002, what about the Marlins has been mediocre? They've been average or above average every season except 2002.

Damn bro. The :P in my initial post (I thought) implied/inferred that a joke was being made.

But in fairness, maybe part of the reason he has lost money the last few years is because its hard to build a loyal fanbase when you build mercenary teams to win a world series and then ship them out? Or when you develop future stars like Josh Beckett and then get rid of them? I know I wouldnt want to be a fan of a team like that. Of course, since I am a Mets fan, I dont have to be -- whenever they go to play the Marlins you can hear the Lets Go Mets chants in the stands. Its pretty great actually. I hope Lauria (sp?) keeps it up.

Edited by MattZ