Jon Papelbon is the best baseball thread ever

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Betcha a nickel the Yankees claim him.

Even if they wanted to they'd be second in line to the Red Sox in a waiver claim as they are ahead of the Sox in winning percentage.

Josh Beckett is going to become the first pitcher with 20 wins and an era over 5 since the 40's if he keeps this up.

Probably. He's either terrible or pitches a gem. There's no middle ground with Beckett this season. He seems to snowball quickly in games where he gives up a few runs early. It's frustrating going into a game to watch him pitch because it's a coin-toss as to which way he'll fare. I'd be tempted to assign partial blame to Huckaby catching him tonight, but it's not infrequent for Beckett to shit the bed early in a game without being able to pull out of it.

Probably. He's either terrible or pitches a gem. There's no middle ground with Beckett this season. He seems to snowball quickly in games where he gives up a few runs early. It's frustrating going into a game to watch him pitch because it's a coin-toss as to which way he'll fare. I'd be tempted to assign partial blame to Huckaby catching him tonight, but it's not infrequent for Beckett to shit the bed early in a game without being able to pull out of it.

That was always what kept him from being an ace down here.

Though if he pitches in the postseason (assuming you make it) like he did in 2003, that deal will be totally worth it. His performance in game 5 of the Cubs series was probably even more impressive than the clincher in Yankee Stadium, as it basically took all of the momentum out of the Cubs and put it in the Marlins hands.

Anyway, yeah, Maddux was out of the game when it resumed. The reliever gave up a hit to the very first batter he faced. The weather might have robbed Maddux of finally getting his no hitter to cap off his career.

Sad stuff. I would have liked to see him get it.

In other news, the Cardinals are absolutely horrible. Jesus. Seven in a row now and they can't hit, ptich, or field. All year I've been thinking they could pull it together and some point and start to dominate again, especially considering how weak the NL is, but apparently that isn't going to happen.

That was always what kept him from being an ace down here.

Though if he pitches in the postseason (assuming you make it) like he did in 2003, that deal will be totally worth it. His performance in game 5 of the Cubs series was probably even more impressive than the clincher in Yankee Stadium, as it basically took all of the momentum out of the Cubs and put it in the Marlins hands.

Except that shutout was at home, and it was still the Cubs. Yankee Stadium is a whole different animal, and that was the best big-game pitching performance I've seen there in my adult life. Actually, both starts were pretty incredible.

That being said, he should be due for a nice blister one of these days.

Except that shutout was at home, and it was still the Cubs. Yankee Stadium is a whole different animal, and that was the best big-game pitching performance I've seen there in my adult life. Actually, both starts were pretty incredible.

That being said, he should be due for a nice blister one of these days.

I actually think getting out of the humidity in South Florida is taking care of the blister problems.

I just remember that game against the Cubs he was flat out unhittable. I'm surprised that isn't talked about as one of the greatest post season pitching performances ever. I can think of very few that were better. The biggest thing that sticks out in my mind from that game was throwing three straight fastballs to Sammy Sosa, including one that backed him completely off the plate, and then striking him out with 2 100 MPH fastballs. Dominating.

What a beautiful baseball day!!!

Yanks are rolling, Sox are struggling, and the Jays are done.

Great job by the Marlins, too. :thumbup For all the Mets hoopla here in NY, the Yankees now have a better record playing a much tougher schedule. And the Marlins have the best record in baseball since their awful start.

Javy Lopez is one of my uncle's best friends. They grew up together in Peurto Rico and everytime the Braves or Orioles would come down here we'd go to a game to see him. Maybe if the Red Sox make the Playoffs they'll have the chance to play the Marlins in the World Series (they've got as good a shot as anyone in the NL with that rotation).

Another reason why Dontrelle is my favorite player in the league. This is in reference to Dontrelle having a few words for the ump after 2 very questionable non strike calls:

Willis insisted he wasn't trying to made Reilly look bad.

"I just said, 'Hey, we're working too hard.' That's all I said," Willis noted. "You can ask him. I didn't swear at him. I just said, 'We're working too hard.' By the time I looked up, Olivo was in my face and I'm not getting around Olivo. I wasn't disrespecting him. The only thing is I shouldn't have gone up to him, because I feel like that's not my place.

"But that shouldn't happen. If I see him, I'm going to apologize."

"This team is working too hard for you to take it away from us like this, those were two strikes"

Javy Lopez is one of my uncle's best friends. They grew up together in Peurto Rico and everytime the Braves or Orioles would come down here we'd go to a game to see him. Maybe if the Red Sox make the Playoffs they'll have the chance to play the Marlins in the World Series (they've got as good a shot as anyone in the NL with that rotation).

Another reason why Dontrelle is my favorite player in the league. This is in reference to Dontrelle having a few words for the ump after 2 very questionable non strike calls:

Willis insisted he wasn't trying to made Reilly look bad.

"I just said, 'Hey, we're working too hard.' That's all I said," Willis noted. "You can ask him. I didn't swear at him. I just said, 'We're working too hard.' By the time I looked up, Olivo was in my face and I'm not getting around Olivo. I wasn't disrespecting him. The only thing is I shouldn't have gone up to him, because I feel like that's not my place.

"But that shouldn't happen. If I see him, I'm going to apologize."

"This team is working too hard for you to take it away from us like this, those were two strikes"

Marlins are dangerous creatures.....this is from a London Newspaper

When he saw a companion on his boat hook a giant fish during a sea angling contest, Ian Card was delighted.

Next second, the scene of triumph turned to horror - as the 14ft blue marlin leapt out of the water across the vessel and speared Mr Card through the chest with its spiked bill.

The impact of the 800lb fish knocked him overboard into the Atlantic off Bermuda.

Then, with a thrash of its tail and with the 32-year-old still impaled and bleeding profusely, it dragged him underwater.

Terribly injured, he somehow stayed conscious as he struggled to pull himself free of the marlin's 3ft razor-sharp spike before he drowned.

Finally, he wrenched himself away and was rescued by his companions on the boat - who included his 58-year-old father Alan.

Yesterday, he told how his son surfaced with blood pumping from his wound. 'He put his hand up to his chest and his fingers disappeared,' he said. 'He had a wound about as big as your fist.' Mr Card was rushed to hospital, where sur- geons carried out an emergency operation and yesterday he was in a stable condition.