Jon Papelbon is the best baseball thread ever

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, the clutch hitting thing is something that the sabermatricians have never really reached a concensus on. Bill James's response to the question "Does clutch hitting exist?" has always been "maybe".

From today's Providence Journal, which clearly pulled the same stats as Lammycat's article:

"I'm still not sure exactly how to measure clutch hitting," Mnookin quotes James as saying in a 2005 conversation. "That doesn't mean it doesn't exist."

Mnookin then wrote: "Here James, generally an understated man, paused for a moment."

"Watching Ortiz," James said, "it's hard to think it doesn't."

So I guess that's still a "maybe," but leaning towards "yes."

link

I agree with this overall. I look at it as which player, if I had to choose one, would I most want in the batter's box with the game on the line.

And if your answer is anyone other than Ortiz (& maybe Pujols), you're just crazy.

I think the big problem with proving the existence or non-existence of clutch hitting is that for any given player, the sample size is going to be relatively small, even over the course of an entire career. But if it does exist for anyone, Papi is probably the most obvious case among current players. Some of it could be a self-fulfilling sort of thing though--at least among inexperienced pitchers, Ortiz's reputation as a clutch guy could cause them to make a mistake...also, having Manny Ramirez hitting behind him sure doesn't hurt.

I'm inclined to think that some guys do perform differently in the clutch and some don't.

FWIW, I just finished reading Mnookin's book Feeding The Monster last night. He had all-access to the Red Sox last year and the book details the inner workings of the triad that makes up the ownership team, as well as Theo Epstein and Bill James' impact, and their drive to produce the results of the 2004 season. It's speckled with some pretty decent analysis/coverage of player turmoil (Nomar/Manny/Millar, etc.) preceding and following the championship season. The turmoil both in the clubhouse and FO that came to an exhaustive end last year with Theo resigning and the players pretty much demoralized. It goes into Mnookin's take that a lot of the players became prima donnas following the championship and the aftermath of reaching the peak.

It also has some memorable quotes from players/FO folks.

Two that I find funny that I can currently remember:

David Ortiz upon entering the clubhouse for games, to no one in particular, on a regular basis: "What UP, Bitches!"

Ortiz at the end of typical press intervies following games: "Now gome home and get yourselve's some ass."

Question for bobbob...

Are there Dominican restaurants in Miami open past 2 am???

Apparently Chris "Mad Dog" Russo just feels like pissing Mets' fans off today by saying Duaner Sanchez has no business being out at that time.

Question for bobbob...

Are there Dominican restaurants in Miami open past 2 am???

Apparently Chris "Mad Dog" Russo just feels like pissing Mets' fans off today by saying Duaner Sanchez has no business being out at that time.

I'm all for pissing off Mets fans. I'm sure there are Dominican restaurants open at 2 AM in miami. I don't really know, I don't go down to Miami much.

Die, Red Sox. Woooo!

The Cardinals all suck and shit so the only thing that brings me satisfaction is the Red Sox losing. Maybe ESPN will get off their cocks...

Not tonight, Chiefy.

CryingIndian.jpg

I wasn't watching tonight's box score. I was just referring to them not being in first place anymore.

Well, they are still in first, technically. They're tied, but trail the Yanks by percentage points.

August 03, 2006

Javy to Red Sox?

By Greg Lee, Globe Staff

Channel 4 is reporting that the Red Sox have acquired veteran catcher Javy Lopez from the Baltimore Orioles.

Boston.com will be back shortly to confirm this report.

If true, the move would help offset the loss of team captain Jason Varitek, who had knee surgery on today.

Was he in a Miami taxi too?

August 03, 2006

Javy to Red Sox?

By Greg Lee, Globe Staff

Channel 4 is reporting that the Red Sox have acquired veteran catcher Javy Lopez from the Baltimore Orioles.

Boston.com will be back shortly to confirm this report.

If true, the move would help offset the loss of team captain Jason Varitek, who had knee surgery on today.

He'll have to clear waivers and should be able to join Boston in Tampa Bay by tomorrow. Great score for the Sox as 'Tek is likely out for at least the regular season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2538688

1. Betcha a nickel the Yankees claim him.

2. I was about to write "great pitchers duel tonight between Dontrelle and Pedro," but Jacbos just crushed one.

1. Betcha a nickel the Yankees claim him.

2. I was about to write "great pitchers duel tonight between Dontrelle and Pedro," but Jacbos just crushed one.

Did he ever.

Ugh, and Hermida is supposed to be one of the better outfielders.

Dontrelle has a legitimate beef with that ump.