Elvis Costello (third re-issue of 11 albums)

Universal Music Enterprises has acquired 11 albums from Elvis Costello's early catalog, with plans to re-release the artist's material via reissues, deluxe editions, compilations and box sets.

The albums acquired begin with Costello's 1977 debut, "My Aim Is True," and continue through "This Year's Model" (1978), "Armed Forces" (1979), "Get Happy!!" (1980), "Almost Blue" (1981), "Trust" (1981), "Imperial Bedroom" (1982), "Punch the Clock" (1983), "Goodbye Cruel World" (1986), "King of America" (1986) and "Blood and Chocolate" (1986).

Although these albums have already been reissued in expanded form by Rykodisc as well as Rhino, UME promises its new versions will be the "definitive reissues." The company also plans to produce limited edition releases for its Hip-O Select imprint, DVDs of videos and concerts and usher Costello's music into new formats such as ringtones.

"A Pekingese in a tuxedo could sell you 'My Aim Is True,' you know," Costello told Billboard in May 2001, when the Rhino reissue campaign launched. "When you've got a record that maybe didn't reach its audience in its time, you have to use a bit of imagination in the way that you present it, to make it seem as if it might be worth investigating now."

Costello just wrapped a tour with Allen Toussaint in support of their collaborative Verve Forecast album, "The River in Reverse." He will also be heard singing "Little Boxes," the theme song for the Showtime series "Weeds," on its Aug. 14 season premiere. The track will be sung by a different artist during each episode, including Englebert Humperdinck, Death Cab For Cutie, Ozomatli and Regina Spektor.

from billboard.com

This is the lamest thing I have ever seen. When they were reissued the second time, I was upset. I dont know how Elvis allows this to happen.

Dear Elvis/Universal,

I wish you luck with a capital F.

(and I say this as one of the biggest Elvis fans out there...)

Please, yet another reissue of these is silly. But, perhaps those dvds of old videos and concerts will be a treasure trove. Anyone remember when Elvis went on tour with that spinning wheel to select next song to perform? Ages ago....

EC is also fond of scores of greatest hits packages. There's been like 7 or 8 different collections over the years.

Kinda like the Stones. There's Hot Rocks, More Hot Rocks, Sucking in the 70s, the Singles Boxed set, the London Years, Big Hits, Through the Past Darkly, Rewind, Jump Back, 40 Licks, etc. etc. etc.

I really can't imagine how they could possibly improve on the 2-disc reissues that just came out a couple years ago.

They're putting the album + bonus tracks back onto a single disc to annoy the hell out of a new generation of EC fans.

I hate that. Splitting it over two discs was one of the best things about that last round of re-issues. I hate it when they just tack bonus tracks onto there, because if it's an album I've never heard before, it makes it really hard to get a sense of what the real album feels like, and to be able to separate the bonus tracks from the album. Know what I mean? Does that make sense?

I know what you mean - I had (and still have) all these releases on vinyl. I've picked up a few of the rykodisc reissues over the years just so I could have the albums on cd. I guess I don't mind they tack some b-sides and unreleased stuff at the end, but I usually don't listen to the extra stuff more than once (there's a good reason why alot of that stuff was unreleased...). I like the albums just fine as they were originally released.

I know what you mean - I had (and still have) all these releases on vinyl. I've picked up a few of the rykodisc reissues over the years just so I could have the albums on cd. I guess I don't mind they tack some b-sides and unreleased stuff at the end, but I usually don't listen to the extra stuff more than once (there's a good reason why alot of that stuff was unreleased...). I like the albums just fine as they were originally released.
Me too....the vinyl is just fine....

LouieB

I gave up on getting any more EC albums a while back - not that crazy about him, actually. But I have went through this with The Who - Live at Leeds, Tommy, and Who's Next have now gotten the deluxe treatment twice . And the same thing is now going on with the first three Santana albums.

I make do with this double album compilation covering most if not all of that period, I was around when all the originals came out and saw him a couple of times, so it's all sort of in my head anyway.

158382m.jpg

It was on sale here very cheap recently.

It's a complete rip-off; I picked up "Armed Forces" (which is my favourite Costello album) at full price and "My Aim Is True" on the sales as the Ryko disc ones... but this just seems pointless.

How many more different versions are out there? I can take or leave live tracks... sounds like they're trying to get the punters to bend over to me...

i think it's more to do w/ record label merger BS than anything Elvis has to do with

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have to think that while artists have less control over their catalogue than we would like them to have, that Elvis is a big enough name that he could have stood up to the label and said no to this.

There are other ways to issue nonreleased stuff without forcing fans to buy albums they have already bought 3-4 times. I think I have bought 4 different versions of IbMePdErRoIoAoLm.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have to think that while artists have less control over their catalogue than we would like them to have, that Elvis is a big enough name that he could have stood up to the label and said no to this.

I doubt Costello has anything to do with this, though I can't say I know for sure.

There are other ways to issue nonreleased stuff without forcing fans to buy albums they have already bought 3-4 times.

Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything. If you think you're being forced to buy this newest round of reissues, you're exactly the kind of sucker they were hoping to find.

Personally, I so rarely listen to the bonus tracks on the versions I already have (Ryko, mostly) that I can't imagine spending the money for the Rhino or newest versions. The Ryko reissues are perfectly good remasters (vastly superior in sound quality to the original Columbia CD pressings), and I tend to only listen to the original album tracks anyway.

Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything. If you think you're being forced to buy this newest round of reissues, you're exactly the kind of sucker they were hoping to find.

Of course, but that in a nutshell is the problem with these types of re-issues -- the biggest fans are suckers and the record companies know this. Just because I am sucker doesn't mean I am forced to do anything -- and I am not buying this stuff. But its lame to be a fan of an artist and to know that there are (maybe) gems on these re-releases that I wont be able to have in my collection because I dont want to stoop to my 5th version of Imperial bedroom. Its the perfect way to alienate a fanbase.

Yet another lesson from the record companies on Customer Relations.

The Rhino reissues are fabulous. I'm not sure what fan wouldn't want them... the sound is better on both discs, great artwork, extended liner notes by Elvis... they are the way to go. The Bonus Discs are great... most people expect too much out of them. They are not there to top the original album or feature some miraculously "lost" track... they give a better picture of the time period/recording of the album and the process.

Please, yet another reissue of these is silly. But, perhaps those dvds of old videos and concerts will be a treasure trove. Anyone remember when Elvis went on tour with that spinning wheel to select next song to perform? Ages ago....

A good friend of mine got to spin that wheel!!!

Springsteen set the standard with reissues with the Deluxe 30th Anniversary "Born To Run" set. As a matter of fact I can't imagine buying any classic bands reissues without some sort of DVD component, because if it's not included now, you know it will be in five more years when they do 'em again. Glad I've got most all of those Elvis albums on vinyl, and haven't rebought any of them yet.