This is the kind of thing that knocks me off my axis.....

Astronomers say Pluto is not a planet

By WILLIAM J. KOLE, Associated Press Writer

Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight.

After a tumultuous week of clashing over the essence of the cosmos, the International Astronomical Union stripped Pluto of the planetary status it has held since its discovery in 1930. The new definition of what is

Does this mean that every science teacher in America will need to remove Pluto from its solar system model immediately or face paid administrative leave? (see Colorado teacher thread)

I think they'll be safe as long as they rotate it with Planet X every couple of weeks.

Does this mean that every science teacher in America will need to remove Pluto from its solar system model immediately or face paid administrative leave? (see Colorado teacher thread)

I imagine that's only if there's a Federal law prohibiting the display of Pluto unless it directly pertains to the current curriculum. Otherwise, probably not. ;)

I imagine that's only if there's a Federal law prohibiting the display of Pluto unless it directly pertains to the current curriculum. Otherwise, probably not. ;)

You know, your use of logic directly infringes upon my outrage entitlement. I'm calling the ACLU or the NAACP or something.

You know, your use of logic directly infringes upon my outrage entitlement. I'm calling the ACLU or the NAACP or something.

Of course, to be reinstated, a teacher suspended for keeping Pluto in his Solar System model will have to agree to rotate Pluto out in favor of Charon or Ceres every six weeks. It's only fair.

Europe, 1493: "What?!!?!?!? The world is round? But the kids have all been taught the world is flat! What about the mobiles???"

You know what? Pluto was wrongly classified as a planet back then because of our still-incomplete knowledge of what's in the solar system. Kids will adapt. It's not like we're trying to change from inches to centimeters or something like that.

Man, fuck Pluto. When was the last time it ever did anything for me?

Did one of your students tell you that? :D I think I overheard something similar at my school!