RIP, Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is immensley sad. Celebrity deaths do not usually hit me so hard, but this guy was so young and so special. He was such a cool guy with real passion for animals and his work. My thoughts are with his wife and daughter.

Uh this may come off as the lamest post from me ever (take your pick!) but seriously...

I was in a really bad place in my life and used to totally escape by watching the Crocodile Hunter. My brief stint in a cubicle was made slightly more enjoyable by the presence of my Steve Irwin action figure reminding me that "Crocs Rule!" and such. I had a pretty emotional evening to begin with and hearing this really broke my heart. It is of course tragic he died but I guess he couldn't have gone out in a more spectacular fashion.

Very sad to hear this news. A lot of people were down on the guy for being hokey, but he was just a guy who really enjoyed his job, and I'm sure his enthusiasm kept a lot of kids interested in learning about science. Not surprising, really, that something like this happened, but "something trite about going out doing what you love."

RIP, Steve.

I would like to add that he was a huge environmentalist. I remember one episode, where I think he was on the western coast of Austrailia, and a bunch of whales had beached themselves. he was there with his wife, both crying and there was nothing they could do. he was always on a quest for a better understanding of the oceans and animal life. he was like the next Jacques Cousteau in a way. he really cared about the animals he worked with, I believe, even the most venemous snake.

He was playing against some odds that were likely to catch up with him eventually. If you put yourself in mortal danger as regularly as he did, your luck will probably run out sometime.

That said, I always enjoyed watching his show, though I was never a regular viewer. His enthusiasm was certainly infectious, and it was obvious how much he cared about wildlife and the environment. Definitely a good guy and a great loss.

He was playing against some odds that were likely to catch up with him eventually. If you put yourself in mortal danger as regularly as he did, your luck will probably run out sometime.

That said, I always enjoyed watching his show, though I was never a regular viewer. His enthusiasm was certainly infectious, and it was obvious how much he cared about wildlife and the environment. Definitely a good guy and a great loss.

This reminds me too much of the Grizzly Man whom followed the bears in Alaska until what do you know, a bear kills him. So sad.

This reminds me too much of the Grizzly Man whom followed the bears in Alaska until what do you know, a bear kills him. So sad.

With the slight exception that Steve Irwin was a professional crocodile handler and Timmy Treadwell was a confused and delusional amateur seeking a name for himself.

My kids & I looked forward to watching Steve on Saturday mornings...his enthusiasm about his job was contagious & he did turn alot of folks onto wildlife.His "hands-on" style was light years different than Marlon Perkins ("Be careful there,Jim!").

Heartfelt condolences to his family..he will be missed

"Look at her...isn't she beeyoootiful! Just one bite from her powerful jaws can rip your arm off!"

With the slight exception that Steve Irwin was a professional crocodile handler and Timmy Treadwell was a confused and delusional amateur seeking a name for himself.

With the similarity that they both put themselves in harm's way for showmanship.

I'm surprised to read the comments in this thread. I never saw his show; any mention of him makes me think of that movie he made and his accent. I had no idea he had such a positive effect on people. So, it took his death, but I guess I learned something about him today. RIP.