RIP, Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin

With the similarity that they both put themselves in harm's way for showmanship.

My point is simply that Treadwell apparently had some mental issues that drove him to foolishly attempt to survive with creatures he knew nothing about. He was acting moronically. He wasn't educating anybody and he probably did more damage to the bears than good.

Pretty much the opposite of what Irwin's intentions seemed to be.

Anyway, I enjoyed the man's program and his efforts to share intimate knowledge of some of the animals he studied.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long live the Crocodile Hunter.

It's time to hunt down that fucking stingray and kill it.

edit: He probably got about a billion kids into the field of biology. He should be put on Mt. Rushmore, for probably saving our nation's science brains from becoming bankers and politicians.

Edited by poortranslator
Bloody hell. If I had known that a stingray - the most beautiful being I have ever seen - can be lethal, I certainly wouldn't have followed one snorkeling about 50 cm away from it through a bay on the Maldives in January :o

yeah, that's what makes it even more crazy, is that Stingray's aren't considered THAT dangerous, and certainly not deadly.

i know friends personally who have swam with them before too on scuba diving trips... :no

# Festival Director: That's an endangered species at best. What would be the scientific purpose of killing it?

Steve Zissou: Revenge.

# Steve Zissou: Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark (Stingray) that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

# Steve Zissou: I'm going to find it and I'm going to destroy it. Possibly with dynamite.

I couldn't believe this when I heard about it this morning. I was taken back at just how much it affected me. This is truly sad. This world will miss his energy.

RIP Steve.

same sentiments here. celebrity deaths don't hit me usually, but everytime this one crosses my mind it makes me unusually sad. somehow, though in danger all the time, it seemed unexpected to me. i'll miss the joy that doing crocodile hunter impressions brought me in 8th grade, and that it can never be the same without our man steve.

good crocodile hunter memory: one episode where this very old croc they called "grandma" or something was on the last leg of her life, and the whole episode was about how to take care of her,etc. and when she finally died, it showed steve in tears talking about her as truly a great part of his life, and how he loved that croc as much as he loved his wife. it was so sad and moving, but it made me laugh thinking of what his wife would think when she saw it.

Truly a damn shame. One of the first shows I watched with my young kids and though they moved on to Jeff Corwin, always thought Irwin was a special character, though also had a feeling it was a matter of time for him.

RIP.

From the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

Irwin footage shocking, friend says

Steve Irwin's producer and close friend John Stainton has described his distress at viewing film of the iconic Crocodile Hunter's final moments before his death.

The acclaimed naturalist and television star was killed while filming a documentary in the waters off Port Douglas in far north Queensland yesterday.

The 44-year-old was swimming above a stingray when it lashed out, piercing his chest with the barb on its tail.

"It's shocking, it's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die," Mr Stainton said.

"Steve came over the top of the ray and then the tail came up and spiked him. He pulled it out and the next minute he's gone."

Irwin's family is on the Sunshine Coast in the south-east of the state and will not be travelling to far north Queensland.

Police say footage of Irwin's death shows he did not provoke the stingray that killed him.

Far North Superintendent Mike Keating says police have viewed footage of Irwin's death.

"There is no evidence that Mr Irwin was intimidating or threatening the stingray," he said.

"My advice is that he was observing the stingray."

Police say video footage of the moment Irwin was killed by the stingray is central to their investigation into his death.

"We'll be continuing to use that video in our investigation and we look forward to finalising the investigation very quickly," he said.

Police are preparing a report for the coroner.

It's OK. I never watched his show much and always thought the guy was a bit of a tool, harassing wildlife like he did, but I have been impressed with all the love he's been getting.

Even photos of the dying Princess Diana have been released recently, and those were about the last thing I expected to be made public.

Well,I'm with you there,if you don't count the events of the last 5 years or so :no

sorry,whole nother thread there..

This reminds me too much of the Grizzly Man whom followed the bears in Alaska until what do you know, a bear kills him. So sad.
This is sad, but the Grizzley Man was nuts, Steve was simply provocative. It is strange with all the risks he did take, that a stingray killed him, since they rarely kill anyone.

LouieB

I also was surprised at how sad this made me. He was a special person with an absolute unswaying love for all creatures. I kind of thought he wouldn't die of natural causes at the age of 95, but it's so tragic that his life ended while on a "safe" little snorkeling jaunt with a one in a million freak occurance. Stingrays are in every "hands on" pool at every aquarium I've ever been to because of their docile nature. In fact, he was filming the footage for a kids program he was doing with his daughter. I watched a little bit of the Animal Planet tribute and saw an interview he did a couple years ago where he was talking about how he was going to let his daughter date....at the age of 31. It's incredibly sad to see that and realize his kids have lost their father.

I made fun of this guy in a good natured way the other day. Apparently all this bad karma towards others--including mocking the outrageous speech patterns and mannerisms of TV show hosts--is biting me in the ass.

LATEST: The footage of late Australian naturalist STEVE IRWIN being killed by a stingray could be shown on TV. Charismatic Irwin, dubbed the Crocodile Hunter after his internationally acclaimed TV show, died yesterday (04SEP06) while diving on Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Irwin was filming for a new documentary when he lost his life, and his cameraman shot the moment when the stingray's barbed tail stabbed the legendary conservationist through the heart. The tapes are currently being held by Queensland police - but Irwin's family are determined to respect his last wishes and allow the harrowing footage to be broadcast. Irwin once insisted, "My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it's shaky or slightly out of focus, I don't give a rip. "Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me." An insider tells British newspaper the Daily Star, "This is exactly what Steve would have wanted. He knew the dangers and was totally up for the cameras to get everything."