Pieholden Suite

I don't know why I love this song so much. The lyrics are sparse but profoundly sad (at least to my ears--reminiscing about the kiss gets me every time); the music is so un-rock, like Costello or Beatles, or other true musical innovators, with great mood shift after vocals and into instrumental part and on to the end with that trumpet (I guess); and of course Tweedy's vocals and Beach Boyish backing vocals complete the picture.

May be my favorite on Summerteeth.

Pardon me if this has already been threaded and discussed, just listening now and curious if others feel the same way about this track.

:music

The instrumentation on the song is really wonderful, and done lushly without ever sounding grandiose and overbearing on the words. Definitely a beautiful cut off of Summerteeth (though personally I lean towards Via Chicago...).

I really like the clip of it in I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, I think it captures the song perfectly.

It wasn't among my favorites when I first got into Summerteeth, but it's grown on me over time, now it's probably one of my top 5 all time Wilco songs.

It wasn't among my favorites when I first got into Summerteeth, but it's grown on me over time, now it's probably one of my top 5 all time Wilco songs.

Same here. Also, the more I play it on guitar, the more I love it. At first it was the song I skipped over to get to "Loneliness," but now, not so much.

It's a perfect storm for peaking the senses.

The part that does it for me is when he sings, "In the beginning we closed our eyes. Whenever we kissed. We were surprised to. Find so much inside".

This lyric takes to a special time. Innocence. Naivete.

Then the music soars.

Then a funky Beatles-esque horn part.

It's great.

i assume i'm the only person in the cosmos that doesnt like this song?

no,there are others...like me.perhaps my least favorite in the catalog

Love this song. Not too crazy about the Summerteeth mix, after I first watched "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart." Something about that footage and the quietness without the horns just hooked me.

My favorite version is me on our patio after about 7 or 8 beers. You have GOT to get a copy of that one (I suggest starting with the 2006.03.24 recording and move on from there...)

:D

no,there are others...like me.perhaps my least favorite in the catalog

It's not one of my favorites either, and I was really baffled when people were SO THRILLED that the band started playing it live (which was, like, three or four years later). I think it's fairly complex musically compared to many of the other songs from that era, but more complex doesn't necessarily equal more compelling. Wouldn't make my list of top 50 Wilco songs. Lot of people dig it, though. A lot.

If I were going to start a thread like this it would be about Via Chicago...but then the whole forum is named after it, so that would be pretty damn pointless, wouldn't it? :D

I'm sure "But you know how I've been untrue" was inspiring to the couple...

edit: sorry, Edie, didn't see that you'd jumped on that already...

caliber didn't say the entire song lyrics were read

Nice song. I like the rehearsal version from IATBYH.

The studio version is nice too.

The closing instrumental (horns) on the studio version has a little Burt Bachurach sound to it.

I'd like to see it on the next "Best of Dionne Warwick & Burt Bachurach"

Seriously, Pieholden Suite and More Like The Moon are two of Tweedy's finest.

(IMO)

Nice song. I like the rehearsal version from IATBYH.

The studio version is nice too.

The closing instrumental (horns) on the studio version has a little Burt Bachurach sound to it.

I'd like to see it on the next "Best of Dionne Warwick & Burt Bachurach"

Seriously, Pieholden Suite and More Like The Moon are two of Tweedy's finest.

(IMO)

I believe I read somewhere that Jay Bennett wrote/co-wrote a good deal of this song (or at the very least is responsible for the instruments). Much like My Darling, which is a Jay's song.