Ask Caliber why he's so anal.

Dear Caliber,

I've had a pretty serious toothache for about 3 weeks now. Considering I have no dental insurance, should I just try to use an ice skate to remove it, a la Tom Hanks in Castaway?

Thanks,

ES

{{{{{vibes}}}}}

(I know how much this sucks. Hope it's nothing too serious and/or expensive, ES.)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding your second question, I have a question of my own: Why do you hate Simon Wiesenthal?

Experts are agreed that heroin is a recreational drug that is safe and should have little to no impact on your job and finances, not to mention your relationships with others. Set a goal to get hooked by 3:00 p.m. Eastern.

seal.gif

(Retroactive to the 15th.)

C66,

Why is the term 'wanker' and it's derivatives not embraced more by the American people?

It has so many good uses, for example "Ction is such a wanker today" or "John Mayer, what guitar wankery, christ".

- just wondering

Dear Bag of Hammers,

What was your thought process when you voted on the all the match ups this weekend?

Donna

I got my game right.

The shoulder pads have been safely extracted and the lining resown as if it had never been breached. No construction was damaged in the process, and it looks better than ever. :thumbup

Unless you replanted the lining out in that garden of yours, the word you're looking for is "resewn." And that is not a question. I will interject, though, that I was kind of hoping you'd rock the Grace Jones look.

Thank you for doing your part to prevent '80s "fashion" from making a comeback.

That is also not a question, but thanks for playing.

Dear Caliber,

I've had a pretty serious toothache for about 3 weeks now. Considering I have no dental insurance, should I just try to use an ice skate to remove it, a la Tom Hanks in Castaway?

Thanks,

ES

I was in a similar situation a couple weeks ago, except that it only lasted a few days and I have dental insurance, but it's shitty and I've never used it, and I have no idea what my policy number is or how to go about getting reimbursed, etc. I would advise against using an ice skate to remove it, but a good pair of needlenose pliers would probably do the trick. Then rinse with some warm salt water and you should be good to go.

Unless you replanted the lining out in that garden of yours, the word you're looking for is "resewn." And that is not a question. I will interject, though, that I was kind of hoping you'd rock the Grace Jones look.

Oh! Nice snag! Freudian slip, I guess.

When I was checking my look, Grace Jones did cross my mind.

I lived with an artist during the 80s, and my look was well photographed. I'm fairly certain of a Halloween photo that was all Catherine Deneuve in the Hunger.

Mmm hmm:

IMG_1436.jpg

Yeah, I lived through the 80s by wearing 40s and 50s vintage. :lol

C66,

Why is the term 'wanker' and it's derivatives not embraced more by the American people?

It has so many good uses, for example "Ction is such a wanker today" or "John Mayer, what guitar wankery, christ".

- just wondering

Look, kid. If you want me to keep answering your questions, I'm going to have to ask that you go pick up a copy of Strunk and White's Elements of Style and educate yourself on the proper use of apostrophes (pay special attention to application of the possessive case to the third person singular neuter personal pronoun) and semicolons.

I don't have an answer to your question, regardless of your grammatical shortcomings. Perhaps with the rise of Ali G and his irreverent brand of British street slang, plus his popularity with the youth of America (save them), we'll be seeing a gradual infiltration of such terminology into our daily language.

Calibalized-

I say wanker/wank all the time especially when referring to messing around on a guitar, does that make me British?

Sincerely.

Wanking, but not in that way

No, it makes you yet another of Jude's aliases. Nice try. The run-on sentence was a dead giveaway. :rolleyes

Look, kid. If you want me to keep answering your questions, I'm going to have to ask that you go pick up a copy of Strunk and White's Elements of Style and educate yourself on the proper use of apostrophes (pay special attention to application of the possessive case to the third person singular neuter personal pronoun) and semicolons.

Preach on brother Caliber! (you know just how to reach a former English major's heart)

Dear Caliber,

What is the best way to appear busy at work while corresponding with others on one's favorite band's message board site?

Sincerely,

Neil

Preach on brother Caliber! (you know just how to reach a former English major's heart)

Dear Caliber,

What is the best way to appear busy at work while corresponding with others on one's favorite band's message board site?

Sincerely,

Neil

Depends on how your workspace is set up. If people approaching your desk see the back of your monitor, just keep something work-related open, make a face like you're concentrating (or constipated) and type away. Try not to laugh too much, but if you do, just play it off as a coughing fit.

If people approaching your desk can look over your shoulder, just be vigilant and switch to Outlook if you ever hear anyone coming up behind you. Good luck.

I lived with an artist during the 80s, and my look was well photographed. I'm fairly certain of a Halloween photo that was all Catherine Deneuve in the Hunger.

Mmm hmm:

IMG_1436.jpg

Yeah, I lived through the 80s by wearing 40s and 50s vintage. :lol

Mercy. I missed this the first time. Not a question, but I'll let this one go. :lol

IMG_1436.jpg

:wub

If not for this picture being posted, I'd have deleted this thread due to the proper English wankery that has recently erupted. :realmad

deer caliben,

why won't people in my office shut up and get to work? why is this bothering me?

thx,

office bitch

Hey, look at it this way: at least you still have coffee at work. Some poor slobs can't even say that. Count your blessings.

IMG_1436.jpg

:wub

If not for this picture being posted, I'd have deleted this thread due to the proper English wankery that has recently erupted. :realmad

Nice job on the sentence, buddy. Perfect grammar, though I wouldn't have used the passive voice in the main clause, but that's beside the point. B+

Did you forget to ask a question or what?

Dear c66 -

Did you know M Christine was Thora Birch?

Sincerely,

Sir Stevens

I did not know that.

C-sixtey-six,

Feudal Japan or Feudal England?

I just picked up Tai-Pan over the weekend. I'm going to start it when I finish rereading the Kot book.

Sorry Caliber I was just remembering wearing those dreaded shoulder pads in the 80's so I guess I will ask you if this is a normal feeling?

Mostly.