My Morning Jacket- OkOnOkOs

Is hands down album of the year so far. The mix is perfect, the performances are dead on. Don't miss this one.

I saw this on oink awhile ago and purposely resisted the temptation to, um, download it, thinking how fun it will be to walk into a record store with that anticipation I used to have as a kid when a new record came out. Now I just need to find the time to make it to the store. What are the highlights for you so far?

Considering my favorite MMJ album has always been At Dawn, this may finally replace that. I never got into the last two albums, but have always enjoyed the "hits" from those two at the live shows, so yeah, this is perfect. "O is the One that is Real" (from the Songs: Ohia split which I also adore) is probably my fave moment. I can't wait for the DVD, and hope we get a theatre screening here in Chicago.

What are the highlights for you so far?

Dondante, The Way That He Sings, Steam Engine all stand out. The mix is superb. There's a surprisingly ferocious "It Beats 4 U"

The main issue with the album is the lack of crowd interaction--it doesn't have the nice little touches such as "thank you for driving from kansas city. now be quiet!"

I've only been through it once, but "I Will Sing You Songs" and "O is the one That Is Real" were additional highlights for me. Also, I had never heard "Lowdown" live before, and this version has some really cool guitar on the intro that adds so much more to the song. Someone on the MMJ board made the point that this album would be a perfect complement to the '06 Bonnaroo show, if/when it's officially released.

Also, youtube has some awesome clips from an '03 show that were professionally done. "War Begun" is especially good and way bigger than on record. Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...arch_category=0

Is this out now?

I'm just about finished up with Disc One right now and it is damn near perfect. "One Big Holiday" and "Lowdown" are early favorites, but no weak cuts yet. A heads up for those who may not know, the vinyl will have an extra four tracks not available on the cds, mine's on order already. Can't wait for the upcoming tour, I'm gonna try for 3 or 4 shows.

I'm just about finished up with Disc One right now and it is damn near perfect. "One Big Holiday" and "Lowdown" are early favorites, but no weak cuts yet. A heads up for those who may not know, the vinyl will have an extra four tracks not available on the cds, mine's on order already. Can't wait for the upcoming tour, I'm gonna try for 3 or 4 shows.

Where did you order the vinyl from? When does the vinyl version come out?

how the hell do you pronounce the title? "oak-un no-kose"?

That sounds about right. I think it's a swamp monster or something; cousin to sasquatch.

This is really great. It is pretty long though... not a complaint, but just saying its not easy to absorb in one sitting. Though I am not familiar enough with the rest of their albums, so that may be it. As for the comments on the performances, I doubt they would put something out that wasn't their absolute best. Jim's voice sounds great to me, some parts do sound a little strained, but I always thought that was a part of his voice... it makes it sound more heartfelt.

It's a really great double album - I've just come back from holiday and had a chance to play it fully on my iPod... I wasn't sure of the vocals the first time I played it, but they just seem really right.

Not many live albums capture what it must be like to be there, but there nails it nicely - having missed out on the chance to see MMJ twice as they've cancelled, this'll do nicely till I do get a chance... The DVD will be purchased as well I think!