Silver Jews Appreciation Thread

I was driving around and pulled out "American Water" and listened to it - what a record. Berman's a genius, and if you haven't been listening so far, it's never too late to start. A great band, one for the ages.

If you haven't heard of them, download:

"Trains Across the Sea"

"How to Rent a Room"

"Black and Brown Blues"

"Random Rules"

"Like like the the the Death"

"Smith and Jones Forever"

"Slow Education"

"Death of an Heir of Sorrows"

"Punks in the Beerlight"

"Animal Shapes"

...and you'll be hooked.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American Water is one of my favorite albums. :cheers

• 5 months later...

Big Jooos fan myself.

My band's producer does sound for 'em and helped produce Tanglewood Numbers, too.

I'm glad David's found a good place and has the confidence to play some live gigs. He was a really appreciative, genuine cat when I got the chance to meet him.

"People" is the song I'm digging at the moment.

in 27 years, I drunk 50 thousand beers

and they just wash against me

like the see into the pier

has anyone else read his book of poetry?

Probably one of the most underrated bands around due to the fact that they are often dubbed a Pavement side project. But David Berman is one the best lyricists around.

Funny, that technically, Pavement is a Silver Jews side project.

Guest Speed Racer

I've been living in an airport bar

It's like Christmas in a submarine

Wings and brandy on a winter's night

You probably wouldn't call it a scene...

LOVE THEM

Funny story:

the silver jews were scheduled to play webster hall in nyc on 12/30/06. this was the second time they were coming to NYC and i bought tix since i had to miss their first tour with a broken ankle/crutches. A month or so before the show, it was canceled and an open letter to the fans was posted on the Joos website saying that the band needed winterizing. All complaints were to be directed to a PO Box in tennessee.

So as a goof I sent a letter to the band saying how bummed i was. it was totally tongue in cheek -- something about how my winterizing was going to take place at that show and now what would i do?

So anyway, i forgot about it and then a couple of weeks ago, I get this totally bizarre postcard addressed to me with my name misspelled. the postcard is from nashville and has a fireworks display on the front. its basically in chicken scratch and i can barely read who it is signed by. it looks like three initials. J, ?, B. I assume its a dork friend of mine with the intials JB who maybe took a vacation that i didnt know about.

I can barely make out what it says on the card too, but after a couple minutes of scratching my head I realize that its not a JB, its a DB, and the note is a poem. And its basically a note/poem to me:

You can't make cheesecakes out of snow

Don't worry, we will play a New York show

So, now I have my very own personal hand written poem from David Berman. :thumbup

Funny story:

So, now I have my very own personal hand written poem from David Berman. :thumbup

:w00t Priceless!

:lol

Funny story:

the silver jews were scheduled to play webster hall in nyc on 12/30/06. this was the second time they were coming to NYC and i bought tix since i had to miss their first tour with a broken ankle/crutches. A month or so before the show, it was canceled and an open letter to the fans was posted on the Joos website saying that the band needed winterizing. All complaints were to be directed to a PO Box in tennessee.

So as a goof I sent a letter to the band saying how bummed i was. it was totally tongue in cheek -- something about how my winterizing was going to take place at that show and now what would i do?

So anyway, i forgot about it and then a couple of weeks ago, I get this totally bizarre postcard addressed to me with my name misspelled. the postcard is from nashville and has a fireworks display on the front. its basically in chicken scratch and i can barely read who it is signed by. it looks like three initials. J, ?, B. I assume its a dork friend of mine with the intials JB who maybe took a vacation that i didnt know about.

I can barely make out what it says on the card too, but after a couple minutes of scratching my head I realize that its not a JB, its a DB, and the note is a poem. And its basically a note/poem to me:

That is great. Love Bright Flight. Saw them in Ann Arbor last year. An amazing show.

That is great. Love Bright Flight. Saw them in Ann Arbor last year. An amazing show.

I was at that show, it was very good. much better then the 2nd time I saw them, down here at the Double Door.