The Hot Stove League

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mark derosa. i am so glad cubs.com felt the need to email me the news as it happened

Proud to say I struck him out in Legion ball in the summer of '93. He went 0-3. Do the Cubbies need a washed up, never-has-been lefty? Oh, thats right, they signed Ted Lilly.

ESPN's Peter Gammons reported today that former Red Sox right fielder Trot Nixon has agreed to a one-year contract with the Cleveland Indians for $3 million. The Red Sox had elected not to offer salary arbitration to Nixon, a Type B free agent, who was paid $6.5 million last season. Nixon hit .278 in his 10 seasons with the Red Sox and hit 133 home runs while driving in 523 runs.

ESPN's Peter Gammons reported today that former Red Sox right fielder Trot Nixon has agreed to a one-year contract with the Cleveland Indians for $3 million. The Red Sox had elected not to offer salary arbitration to Nixon, a Type B free agent, who was paid $6.5 million last season. Nixon hit .278 in his 10 seasons with the Red Sox and hit 133 home runs while driving in 523 runs.

I always liked Trot, probably more than I should have.

Proud to say I struck him out in Legion ball in the summer of '93. He went 0-3. Do the Cubbies need a washed up, never-has-been lefty? Oh, thats right, they signed Ted Lilly.

At one point Dusty said they were having trouble agains left-handers because they couldn't find a southpaw to throw BP. Maybe you should give Lou a ring.

I always liked Trot, probably more than I should have.

Trot's been a favorite for awhile, but really, he's been injured a lot the last 4-5 years. There's really not a place for him this year with Pena, and assuming the Drew thing eventually materializes.

He got a decent deal with Cleveland but I'm assuming he'll be platooning there, which is pretty much what he's done in Boston the last few years with all the injuries.

Horrible news for anybody who gets MLB Extra Innings and doesn't have DirecTV:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/20/sports/b...amp;oref=slogin

I don't have satellite and like my current digital service. I've also been an EI subscriber for the past 5 years.

I've really, really enjoyed being able to watch roughly 140-50 Red Sox games per year and listening to the home-team announcers all while living a few thousand miles away.

I've been getting increasingly fed up with MLB over the years (most recently with the Saturday black outs due to Fox) and this could very well be the icing on the cake. I will not switch over to a dish to appease the greed-hounds (though this is my reasoning now, a good 2+ months away from Opening Day).

The only person happy about this in my house is my wife.

Anybody else in a similar boat?

Why the hell would the White Sox need Darin Erstad?

4th outfielder/backup first baseman. They traded Ross Gload, after all. If he's healthy, I'm sure that he'll be better than Mackowiak as a backup centerfielder (not sure how much they're planning on playing him there). Neither of them has any kind of speed, but Erstad probably has some idea of how to play the position.

If Uribe is unavailable then Cintron will be playing SS fulltime. If that's the case, then they'll need Mackowiak to play more infield (where he's more experienced than the OF, where he played most of last year).

Podsednik underwent surgery in the Dallas area and is expected to be sidelined for at least six weeks.

The left-handed hitting Erstad missed most of last season because of a right ankle injury that resulted in surgery Oct. 6. He can play all three outfield positions and first base but is expected to play center while Anderson and Ryan Sweeney also compete for playing time, along with Fields and Jerry Owens in left as Podsednik recuperates.

I can't see them having all of those guys on the roster on opening day. Too many outfielders.

I don't have satellite and like my current digital service. I've also been an EI subscriber for the past 5 years.

I've really, really enjoyed being able to watch roughly 140-50 Red Sox games per year and listening to the home-team announcers all while living a few thousand miles away.

I've been getting increasingly fed up with MLB over the years (most recently with the Saturday black outs due to Fox) and this could very well be the icing on the cake. I will not switch over to a dish to appease the greed-hounds (though this is my reasoning now, a good 2+ months away from Opening Day).

not anymore (we can watch the Braves on TBS and the redsox have their own channel) but, if we lived anywhere else we'd have to move back to New England. That just SUCKS. Sorry Dude.

Fuck.

Although I guess now I can just use the money I was going to spend on another season of EI on a DVR.

So, I see the Cubs signed Cliff Floyd.

That could be kind of a scary lineup this year. I still don't think they have enough decent pitching, though.

What's their batting order going to be? Something like this?

1. Alfonso Soriano CF

2. Mark DeRosa 2B

3. Derrek Lee 1B

4. Aramis Ramirez 3B

5. Cliff Floyd LF

6. Michael Barrett C

7. Jacque Jones RF

8. Ronny Cede

So, I see the Cubs signed Cliff Floyd.

That could be kind of a scary lineup this year. I still don't think they have enough decent pitching, though.

What's their batting order going to be? Something like this?

1. Alfonso Soriano CF

2. Mark DeRosa 2B

3. Derrek Lee 1B

4. Aramis Ramirez 3B

5. Cliff Floyd LF

6. Michael Barrett C

7. Jacque Jones RF

8. Ronny Cede