The Hot Stove League

How someone who is not even the MVP on his own team can win the MVP of the entire American League is beyond me.

Also, the voter who voted Jeter 6th for MVP should have his voting privileges suspended. Unbelievable.

Trivia -- Anyone know when the last time two players from the same team won both the Cy Young and MVP (and name the players)?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BeatDeadHorse.gif

Get over it. Name one fan that does that anymore.

Have a little pity on Chris. The players on his team are paid minimum wage and day-old Cuban sandwiches. Dontrelle Willis actually had to borrow 10 bucks from me once.

Phat props on the .gif, though.

I just looked it up. It was 2002, Tejada and Zito. Before that was Frank Thomas and Jack McDowell in '93.

Jesus, I didn't even see your post. I'm really screwing your over, huh? Sorry about that.

Anyway, I still can't figure out how in the world Morneau.

That guy's getting a pretty good payoff for having one good year after several extremely mediocre ones. I wonder how much he's getting just because of that one catch alone. Everyone thinks he's the greatest fielder around because of that.

He just had by far the best year of his career at the age of 31. I'd have to assume he'll be back to his normal self next year.

The Carlos Lee contract also seems pretty bad. A few of these teams are going to regret this summer when the economy turns south and attendance stops going up.

Someone's going to have to explain to me what the Onion article has to do with people disliking the Cardinals.

carlos lee's contract will not age well, but he may hit 48 hrs next year.

speaking of regrets, I like the angels' "we put a premium on defense" spin on the mathews signing.

and the onion/cards dispute also has me confused.

• 1 month later...

does randy Johnson really have something left ?

this could help the Sox

BOSTON (AP) -- Joel Pineiro reached a preliminary agreement on a $4 million, one-year deal with the Boston Red Sox, who are turning to the former Seattle starter as a contender for their vacant closer's job.

The contract includes $2 million in performance bonuses based on games finished, according to a person familiar with the negotiations, who spoke on condition of anonymity Wednesday because the agreement has not been announced.

I guess it's good to have a lot of pitching depth. Too bad this bit of depth had over a 6.00 era last year.

Yeah, Piniero's been pretty wretched the last three years, actually. I guess, with the market for pitchers and what they've been receiving this off-season, the Sox see it as a pretty low-risk deal (whereas $4 million w/ incentives is relatively "low").

Maybe they see something in his injury history and/or performance/mechanics they believe they can correct to make him a decent closer, too.

Still, I don't see Piniero contributing in any substantial manner, but who knows....

any movement on the jd drew/red sox/physical issue?

Not that I've heard, but that isn't means for concern. The word is Theo Epstein is (as are most baseball people) on vacation for a few days (read: the holidays). If it drags on to next week it'd raise my eyebrow.

Yanks, D'backs reach deal

Trade would send Big Unit to Arizona for four players

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

The Yankees and Diamondbacks have reached an agreement on a trade that would send Randy Johnson to Arizona. All that remains is for the 43-year-old pitcher to finalize a one-year extension with Arizona, SI.com has confirmed.

The Diamondbacks were granted a 72-hour window in which to negotiate a contract extension with Johnson. Arizona would like to agree on an extension for 2008 with Johnson before any deal is final, and that shouldn't be a problem. Newsday reported in Thursday's editions that a one-year, $10 million extension for Johnson already has been agreed to through "back-channel conversations."

The Yankees will receive four players from Arizona -- including major league reliever Luis Vizcaino, pitching prospect Ross Ohlendorf and minor league shortstop Alberto Gonzalez -- and will send $2 million to the D'backs to offset Johnson's $16 million salary in 2007. WFAN reported Thursday the deal also would include Class AA pitcher Steven Jackson.

The Padres offered a package to the Yankees that included reliever Scott Linebrink, but Johnson preferred to go home to Arizona and has a no-trade clause.

Johnson was 17-11 with a 5.00 ERA last season, and the 43-year-old left-hander is coming off back surgery on Oct. 26. Although he has gone 34-19 during the regular season in two years with the Yankees, he is 0-1 with a 6.92 ERA in three postseason appearances.

New York's projected rotation includes Chien-Ming Wang, Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte and Kei Igawa. The Yankees also have oft-injured right-hander Carl Pavano and hope Roger Clemens can be persuaded to follow Pettitte back to New York. Clemens hasn't decided whether to pitch this year. If he does, the 44-year-old right-hander might follow his 2006 schedule and not start his major league season until mid-June.

Arizona has had an otherwise quiet offseason. The only major move was to acquire left-hander Doug Davis from Milwaukee in a six-player deal that sent catcher Johnny Estrada to the Brewers. Right-handers Greg Aquino and Claudio Vargas also went to the Brewers, while the Diamaondbacks obtained a pair of youngsters, left-hander Dana Eveland and outfielder Dave Krynzel.

Johnson, who lives in the Phoenix area, went 103-49 with the Diamondbacks from 1999-2004, leading the NL in ERA three times and victories once. He was 5-1 in the 2001 postseason, including 3-0 in Arizona's seven-game World Series win over the Yankees.