Wilco Bassist Stirratt

November 20, 2006, 10:45 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Wilco bassist John Stirratt has a lot to be thankful for, but for the first time in ages, his commitments to the acclaimed Chicago band are getting in the way of an important milestone.

That's because Stirratt and his wife are expecting their first child, who is now two weeks overdue. Doctors will induce labor tomorrow (Nov. 21), but Wilco is scheduled to play the next night in Madison, Wis. "It's insane," Stirratt tells Billboard.com with a resigned laugh. "But it looks like it is going to work out. Madison is close. Still, it's 45 hours into my child's life and I will be gone for five hours. It's pathetic."

The good news is that Stirratt is also about to deliver two new albums: first with his long-running side band, the Autumn Defense, and then in late spring with Wilco. The Autumn Defense's self-titled affair will arrive Jan. 9 via Broadmoor and be followed by a North American tour in February and March.

Stirratt is flanked by Wilco multi-instrumentalist Pat Sansone in the Autumn Defense, which indulges the pair's love of '70s soft rock and soul ("We love being able to take it out of the folk/rock idiom," Stirratt says). Songs were hashed out during random patches of free time and recorded at Wilco's Chicago loft earlier this year, "when there wasn't really much going on with the band at all."

"I just kind of used everything I had," Stirratt admits. "But sometimes, in the back of your mind, it's like, 'Well, this would be a beautiful thing to show Jeff [Tweedy] and have Wilco play."

The Autumn Defense will be joined on tour by drummer Greg Wiz, guitarist/keyboardist Mike Kruse and a different bassist for each leg: first, a Nashville session man known professionally as Hags; then, Stirratt pal Brad Jones. Fans can expect the occasional cover, potentially including Love's "Alone Again Or," Tim Hardin's "Misty Roses" or Big Star's "You Can't Have Me."

As for Wilco, the band is "getting close to being done with all the basics and overdubs" on the follow-up to 2004's "A Ghost Is Born." Stirratt says he is "99% sure" longtime collaborator Jim O'Rourke will be back to mix the as-yet-untitled album. "I think people may have an idea in their head about what it will sound like, but it's going to be different than that," he adds with a chuckle.

Stirratt confirms the song "Walken," which has been a fixture in Wilco's live sets of late, will make the cut. "Jeff had a lot of creative fire," he says. "And also, the way we recorded was so cool because a lot of the arrangements just grew right there with everybody sitting around. I'm over the moon about it. I think it will be a really beautiful record. It's a great time to be in Wilco."

from billboard.com

Thanks for that article, A-man.

Now that's a dedicated man ... be there for the wife and baby, and then be there for Wilco and us fans! Who says you can't do it all?

Here's hoping everything goes smoothly, although I really do hope someone else drives him to the show so he can get some rest. :thumbup

I think if they start inducing on the 21st, the baby probably won't be born until the next day... which means she or he will share a birthday with me! :lol

Sorry for all you people who are going to be at the show, but I think John should take the night off on Wednesday. :monkey Maybe Laurie could fill in for him. :rock

All three of my sister's kids were at least ten days late, and induced. And they are perfect (just like Brianne). So there you go.

:monkey :monkey :monkey

Actually, the middle one was the latest; she was due December 17, I think, so my mom had gone out and bought a bunch of "baby's first christmas" stuff. And then she didn't arrive until the 31st. :yay

Here's to a safe delivery and a healthy baby and mother.

And c'mon, give John a vacation day. How many shows has he played in his life - the birth of one's children are milestones.

I believe the article said he'd be present for the birth. He'll be working while mom and baby are resting/recouping. Probably not his ideal situation, but it's not like he's missing the birth.....Plus, he'll be gone for 5 hrs?

It seems the first lesson a baby will teach you is that your plans are totally meaningless - bwahahaha! I was hoping that my daughter would be born a bit late because we were running behind schedule with our home renovations, but instead she arrived 9 days early. Take that Mom and Dad! Now, almost 2 months later, most of our furniture is still stacked in the living room like it was on the day she was born. D'oh!

Best wishes to the Stirratts.