Nothing new either...all key of G barroom rock. Which has it's place, I admit, just not in my CD player.

It's fine you're not a Jay fan but that ^ is just plain out wrong. Evidentally you missed the songs in open tunings on his last few records.

What I don't get is why his personality makes him any less of a musician or detracts from his work. Either you like his music or you don't. Until I hear that he beats his wife and kids, or some other REAL bad behavior, I couldn't care less if he wasn't smiling during some after show autograph signing. He's a musician not a motivational speaker.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fine you're not a Jay fan but that ^ is just plain out wrong. Evidentally you missed the songs in open tunings on his last few records.

What I don't get is why his personality makes him any less of a musician or detracts from his work. Either you like his music or you don't. Until I hear that he beats his wife and kids, or some other REAL bad behavior, I couldn't care less if he wasn't smiling during some after show autograph signing. He's a musician not a motivational speaker.

Word. It's all about the music. If you want smiles and accessability go read Hello magazine.

• 1 month later...

I personally do not care to meet musicians. I like to enjoy the music for what it is. I don't want some preconcieved notion that so and so is a cool guy, only to be put off when it is a bad night and the musician dont want to be bothered. I have just always enjoyed keeping my distance and enjoying the music rather that getting up close.

Any idea what part of St. Louis he lives in? I lived in St. Charles for a couple years.

I'm in the county,where ya from?

Has anyone been to a show? We are going Tuesday night and I was looking for some feedback about how the tour is so far...Thanks!

i'll be going to the first night w/ Isbell on Mon, so i'll be sure to let you know :)

I saw SV on Monday...I enjoyed the show, but I think I am done with Jay for good. The guy said nearly nothing, except that he liked being in Chicago, and so many of the songs sounded alike. Finally at the end he played some stuff from Trace and the crowd woke up. Chicamunga was good too. The new record is getting universally luke warm reviews........

LouieB

I have decided I rather like the new one - I am still pissed off about the last album not playing on my computer though. Your post made me think of the live album he put out - boring as hell.

I saw SV on Monday...I enjoyed the show, but I think I am done with Jay for good. The guy said nearly nothing, except that he liked being in Chicago, and so many of the songs sounded alike. Finally at the end he played some stuff from Trace and the crowd woke up. Chicamunga was good too. The new record is getting universally luke warm reviews........

LouieB

Hmmm..to each his own, I guess. I thought they sounded great. I, for one, have never gone for the "I wish he'd talk more" complaint. Granted, he doesn't, but my understanding is that this has long been the case. To me it's like going to see a lecturer/speaker and complaining afterwards that the lecturer should've played more songs. If I go to a Son Volt show, I want to hear Son Volt songs, not hear witty banter. But that's me. This seems to be an eternal debate on the Farrar board.

I thought they sounded great as well...just a touch repetetive...

And actually for Jay he was fairly chatty the other night. I just wish he had a bit more to say, not a lecture, just something....

LouieB

*when I used the c-word, it was a reference to the quote about Jeff Tweedy in the Learning How to Die book...sorry.

also, I dunno. Uncle Tupelo was his thing I think. After a few albums with Son Volt, all his melodies began sounding really, really similar. Nothing new either...all key of G barroom rock. Which has it's place, I admit, just not in my CD player.

actually his songs are not key of G bar band rock. his songs are consistently complicated with random tunings and quite original melodies compared to any music these days. i think a lot of his music 'sounds the same' the way Cash or Dylan's music sounds the same. he's definitely an old soul.

I think the dude is fouled up in some way - and yes, this is a WILCO board - so from time to time I may get upset at those who talk about Jeff in a music magazine interview that reads like a National Inquirer type deal.

To make you even more upset - I think Jay pushed this new SV album so that he could get it out before the next Wilco album.

I met the dude - and he acted like fucking Howard Hughes - so I am just not that fond of him these days.

I am not a FANBOY of anyone - living. I have met Jeff many times - he actually knows me by name.

wow, you're so cool. :worship

David Allen Coe? :lol

you get around don't you

I met Mr. Farrar once and it is not like meeting Jeff. I have met Jeff 4 times now (I think) - the dude calls me by name.

Jay totally did not want to be bothered. Maybe it was a bad night or something - others may be able to say different.

i've talked to jay a couple of times. the first was after straightaways came out. he seemed genuinely disinterested in talking with anybody around him, fans, bandmates, the wall, etc. the boquist brothers and mike heidorn were great, even excited that we knew some of the same pawn shops that they looked for gear in other cities. i've met quite of the musicians i admire and listen to. most seem genuinely appreciative that people care to come to the shows and sing their lyrics. this includes jeff who was extremely humble and very talkative when we gave him and ken coomer a ride back to the hotel after a "being there"-era show in 97. jay farrar still ranks as one of my all time favorite lyricists and i would put "trace" against any other album of the last 20 years. however, it's pretty disappointing when you lay down $20 to go see a band whose music you've lived with in the car and on the stereo (and now ipod) and have them act like they could give two shits about playing for you. i've never been disappointed at a wilco show and i started out a much bigger uncle tupelo/jay farrar fan. not anymore.

LouieB

Metacritic's biased interpretations of non-point awarded reviews doesn't constitute "univeral luke warm reviews".

Metacritic's biased interpretations of non-point awarded reviews doesn't constitute "univeral luke warm reviews".
I didn't look at Metacritic. I checked out blurbs about the show in various Chicago publications and that was my own biased metacritical conclusion....

LouieB