At a concert have you ever

left a mark kozelek show after about 3 songs. i guess you could call them songs. just meanderings. it's been said before on this board, he makes great records, but is such a damn lazy performer.

i have left several shows because it was late. that begs the question, why play so late at small/bar gigs? was really hoping to catch autumn defense here in atlanta, but when i found out it was on a tuesday night at a bar it was a no-go. luckily i saw them last time around on a weekend night, but even that is pushing it when the band doesn't come on until 11pm!

c

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have left several shows because it was late. that begs the question, why play so late at small/bar gigs? was really hoping to catch autumn defense here in atlanta, but when i found out it was on a tuesday night at a bar it was a no-go. luckily i saw them last time around on a weekend night, but even that is pushing it when the band doesn't come on until 11pm!

I hate the lateness of small-club shows. I hated it even when I was young enough (and underemployed/unemployed enough) to stay up that late on weeknights. I just don't see the point of having a headliner start so damn late ... at the two venues I went to most often when I was younger, the headliners frequently didn't start until after midnight, regardless of the day of the week.

I hate the lateness of small-club shows. I hated it even when I was young enough (and underemployed/unemployed enough) to stay up that late on weeknights. I just don't see the point of having a headliner start so damn late ... at the two venues I went to most often when I was younger, the headliners frequently didn't start until after midnight, regardless of the day of the week.
Oh man..you are so right.....and during the week, what is exactly the point of that?

We have had this convo before, but if clubs and groups want to attract a wider audience, they really should can the musican time and go with human being time. They would get a more diverse audience and maybe fill up the clubs better. I know here in Chicago some clubs have gone to all ages shows because they realize that even steady 20 somethings who usually fill their clubs are going to become 30 something and start having kids and stop going out all the time. Meanwhile the older folks (like me) don't come back when their kids are grown because they no longer have the stamina to stay out late or stand for hours waiting on groups or drink until they drop.

LouieB

this thread would be a lot longer if we counted coming late as to skip lame openers. it'd also have more volume if we counted the times we wanted to leave, but were with people who were waaay into it.

i've walked out on A LOT of shows in the mid-90s (when i went to at least a show a week because there were tons of bands signed to majors for a record and quickly dropped). the only one i remember being sad to go was tilt. the hall was a 350 capacity and there were at least 500 people in there -- and it was a rainy, muggy evening in the summer in cleveland heights. i don't think i walked out as much as i wilted out.

oh, and bad religion in 1992. some cockmonster security goon decided to mace some kid in the pit in a room with little ventilation. my asthmatic brother had a fit. i don't miss the empire concert club for that reason.

and zakk wylde plays a les paul, not an explorer. :P

Coulda sworn it was an explorer that night, dark blue with bullseye circles on it....ah anyways he sucked big time playin with ABB

Oh man..you are so right.....and during the week, what is exactly the point of that?

We have had this convo before, but if clubs and groups want to attract a wider audience, they really should can the musican time and go with human being time. They would get a more diverse audience and maybe fill up the clubs better. I know here in Chicago some clubs have gone to all ages shows because they realize that even steady 20 somethings who usually fill their clubs are going to become 30 something and start having kids and stop going out all the time. Meanwhile the older folks (like me) don't come back when their kids are grown because they no longer have the stamina to stay out late or stand for hours waiting on groups or drink until they drop.

LouieB

ditto

left a mark kozelek show after about 3 songs. i guess you could call them songs. just meanderings. it's been said before on this board, he makes great records, but is such a damn lazy performer.

I saw him on the Ghosts of the Great Highway tour and was really dissapointed. I managed to stick around but won't give him a second chance. Great album worthless show. B)

My most memorable walkout was a George Clinton show at the 930 Club about 3 years ago. He had a stage ensemble of like 20 people, rotating singers and performers. There were whole shift changes between songs, like a hockey team - 6 people would leave the stage and 6 more would come on. George was probably on stage for about half the show. It got to be about 2:00am and the Club turned on all the lights trying to get the band to stop, but HE KEPT PLAYING. At least half the audience had left by then. For some reason, we tried to stick it out, because I'm never in favor of walking out on a show, but it was painful. He really outlasted his entire audience. My friend's sister was able to lie down on the floor and nap for the last 10 minutes. And we didn't even make it to the end. He was still playing when we left.

We walked out after a few songs when REM did a headlining set at the annual Bridge School Benefit show back in 1998. Michael Stipe just seemed so disinterested in being there, in contrast with all the other artists that performed that day. I know that's his stage persona and all, but it really turned me off to a band that I had previously liked (still like their older stuff). But at least we got a head start on beating the parking rush.

I once saw an entire venue walk out at a Smashing Pumpkins show in Santa Barbara around 1993. A lot of people in the crowd were booing the opening act (Shudder to Think) so when the Pumpkins came on for their set, they played about five songs then completely chewed out the crowd for booing their friends. Then they walked off stage and invited the openers to come back up. 95% of the audience (ourselves included) just up and left. Never found out if the Pumpkins came back on again that night.

walked out on Wilco, but only because it was a shitty venue that had been oversold (Recher Theater)

walked out during the 1st encore of GBV because I was worried about missing the metro. it was my first and only GBV show and didn't realize they went three hours or so. when i realized i wouldn't make it, i just walked back in and hung out in the back.

walked out on MMJ because it was getting late and everything was sounding the same at that point

fell asleep during a Disco Biscuits show. apparently i didn't miss much because i realized they were playing the same song the whole set

My most memorable walkout was a George Clinton show at the 930 Club about 3 years ago. He had a stage ensemble of like 20 people, rotating singers and performers. There were whole shift changes between songs, like a hockey team - 6 people would leave the stage and 6 more would come on. George was probably on stage for about half the show. It got to be about 2:00am and the Club turned on all the lights trying to get the band to stop, but HE KEPT PLAYING. At least half the audience had left by then. For some reason, we tried to stick it out, because I'm never in favor of walking out on a show, but it was painful. He really outlasted his entire audience. My friend's sister was able to lie down on the floor and nap for the last 10 minutes. And we didn't even make it to the end. He was still playing when we left.

That just about describes the outcome of every P-Funk show ever.

That just about describes the outcome of every P-Funk show ever.

I saw them at Lollapalooza '94, so they didn't get a chance to pull that. They were OK but not great.

Also saw Smashing Pumpkins later that same day. They pretty much sucked.

The highlight of that day was sandwiched in between: Beastie Boys. And I wasn't even a fan up to that point.

Frank Zappa around '78 or '79. My buddy and I had worked long days outside during an extremely hot spell. We got into the A/C, had a bit to smoke, and it was lights out for both of us. We both fell asleep, awoke after a few songs and drove home. At the time, I was familiar with little of his music. Now I kick myself for not sticking it out. I appreciate him a lot more now.

I fell asleep at an Autumn Defense show when they opened for Tweedy solo. But I was already sleep deprived, and drove for 5 hours in horrible HORRIBLE rain and we were rushed and hassled, and I was terribly fatigued. So once I sat down in my reserved 3rd row seat, I was so relieved to just BE there, and I started to relax, and then their lovely mellowness just lulled me into slumber. :blush

I walked out of a Collective Soul and a Sister Hazel concert. The openers were horrible and long so we left before Sister Hazel came on.

Bands i walked out to due to boyfriend getting board

Lucero and Bob Dylan (i was pissed on both shows).

Fell asleep during Kings of Leon there cowbell couldn't even keep me awake enough to watch them.

It got to be about 2:00am and the Club turned on all the lights trying to get the band to stop, but HE KEPT PLAYING. At least half the audience had left by then.

Maybe they didn't leave, they just got beamed on board the Mothership. You missed out, my friend. :no

I walked out of a Collective Soul and a Sister Hazel concert.

I think I would have questioned walking in to a Collective Soul concert, but kudos for walking out

One show I recall walking out of was the Deads 2nd to last show. Jerry was such a wreck that I split after space....I just couldnt take Jerrys condition.

Slept during a Blues Traveler/WSP show. Actually, I slept thru WSP because I worked all day completely hungover then I smoked up when we got into the Riv. Blammo, I'm sleeping. Woke up to Blues Traveler.........yep, it was an all around nightmare.

I nodded off during Wilco at the Auditorium in Fall 05. Plush seats in the nosebleed section and being kinda old coupled with a lot of Budweiser products that night equal a sleepy Paul....

Someone on this thread mentioned Metallica and the Cult in 1989....and that spurred a memory.......I saw that tour at Poplar Creek......the Cult were opening and the fans were brutal-just booing and giving the finger...not responding well......at one point the lead singer was pleading "C'mon, we're here to make friends"......then they cut their set short. heh.

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Mar 16 2007, 08:42 PM)
I nodded off during Wilco at the Auditorium in Fall 05. Plush seats in the nosebleed section and being kinda old coupled with a lot of Budweiser products that night equal a sleepy Paul....

You might want to think about drinking coffee before the show instead of beer. :coffee That part about sleeping through WSP only to wake up to Blues Traveler does sound horrible. ("What is that horrible ringing in my ears?? Oh, its just a harmonica solo!") :lol

I can't think of too many shows I've walked out of. I mean, probably a bunch of times I've been at a bar where a band I didn't really know too well was playing and I'll leave if I'm not too into it or whatever. But generally, if I went specifically to see a particular band I'm lucky in that I don't think I've ever witnessed such a horrible show that I had to go.

The Blues Traveler mention above reminded me of HORDE festival several years ago when Neil Young was headlining. I remember that was a weird day--early in the day I really enjoyed Soul Coughing, Spiritualized, Ween, Ben Harper (back before he seemed so predictable and lame)......and then I went and took what seemed like the world's longest beer/piss/nap/beer/beer/phonecall/nap/beer break while I waited for Barenaked Ladies, Paula Cole (remember her?), and Blues Traveler to be done so Neil Young could finally come on. :lol

• 1 year later...

I fell asleep at an Elton John concert...I think I was 10 at the time.

At Bonnaroo in 2006 I walked out of MMJ's midnight set after about a half an hour because I was just too exhausted. I got back to my camp and heard them covering the Who's A Quick One and I proceeded to kick myself for leaving.

Another really funny thing that involves a play and sleeping: I was in London with my friend and his parents and we went to see a play (can't remember which one now). As we sit in our seats my friend's dad says to me "England is a lot more cultured than America. Their performances aren't for simple people. You really have to pay attention to the play blah blah blah". I look over after about twenty minutes and he is completely asleep in his seat.