At a concert have you ever

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walked out on The Raconteurs in September '06. Cummon, they had Dr. Dog opening, and they kicked major ass. After the greatness of Dr. Dog, who were probably playing their asses off for gas money, The Raconteurs went up and put on what I would call a less-than-inspired performance of sub-par lame rock. Seriously, Jack: get someone crappy to open your shows so you can look good, because that wasn't a smart move.

connor oberst. he was the headliner playing after the guys i'd come to see: m. ward and jim james.

hadn't heard his music before that night, but went in with an open mind. after one line about being "born in a rain drop" i excused myself to the lobby to drink gin.

^ I blame you for being there in the first place

I left a Ryan Adams show in Philadelphia a few years ago. He was drunk and arguing with the crowd, and I was sick of waiting around for him to play the next song. Apparently he was booed and heckled so much that he stormed off the stage not long after I left. I seriously doubt I'll ever go see him again because of that show.

Opening acts that blew away headliners.

Dr. Dog opening for Black Keys................

Mason Jennings opening for Guster............

Edie walked out on a Wilco show, but for damn good reason's!

connor oberst. he was the headliner playing after the guys i'd come to see: m. ward and jim james.

hadn't heard his music before that night, but went in with an open mind. after one line about being "born in a rain drop" i excused myself to the lobby to drink gin.

:thumbup

I did walk out on Wilco once at the Roseland in NYC. We got there late and the place was incredibly crowded. We were stuck standing in the back, and in the middle of around 50 people who apparently paid the cover charge to yell to each other.

ian moore, years ago.

Me too!

Sheryl Crow. Wilco opened and we left at the break. Didn't even see her face. We were 3rd row center. As we walked out we gave our tickets to four people in the last row. B)

Very, very cool.

:cheers

On my 18th B-Day, my cool sister-in-law who worked for RCA was coming to Dallas to help sign the group Alabama to their label. Plan was to see the show and take me out for my first "drink". I met the band and several RCA execs. They started playing and by the 2nd song, I was begging to leave. We did.

I left halfway through the Hole set at a Lollapooloza show due to the heat and my own drunkenness. I ended up in the parking lot lying in the back seat of my car listening to the muffled sounds of Hole, then Sonic Youth, waiting for my friends to show up and rescue me... ah, good times, good times.

I did walk out on Wilco once at the Roseland in NYC. We got there late and the place was incredibly crowded. We were stuck standing in the back, and in the middle of around 50 people who apparently paid the cover charge to yell to each other.

:lol

I have walked out on the Red Hot Chili Peppers 3 times in a two year span. I went to see their opening acts (one being Lollapallooza that they headlined) and left as they took the stage. I hope to get the chance to walk out on them in the future. :hmm

I've stop keeping track at this point but recently Yonder Mountain String Band and Greyboy Allstars. I like them both but both times I was really wasted and Yonder I got into for free. I have one friend that I used to go to lots of shows with and he never finished a show. Usually had to do with getting in a fight or drugs or police though

Back in '86 or '87 (I forget exactly but it was before the days of bottled water), I left a Grateful Dead/Bob Dylan/Tom Petty show at RFK stadium in D.C.

I don't know the exact temperature that day but it was ridiculously hot - in the 90's. It started in the afternoon when the sun was the hottest. Anyway, I left about 30 minutes after the Dead hit the stage.

For walking out? No. For being there?

The rest of the day was great music! I don't like them, but I thought I'd give them a chance live anyway since I was already there. They got about 30 seconds in to their first song and I bolted for the gate. They were positively horrible.

Back in '86 or '87 (I forget exactly but it was before the days of bottled water), I left a Grateful Dead/Bob Dylan/Tom Petty show at RFK stadium in D.C.

I don't know the exact temperature that day but it was ridiculously hot - in the 90's. It started in the afternoon when the sun was the hottest. Anyway, I left about 30 minutes after the Dead hit the stage.

I was at these (July 4th weekend of '86) and they were brutally hot.

Regardless, Dylan was wearing leather pants, boots, long sleeved shirt, and leather vest. He also sounded pretty cocked for much of his set(s) and his stuff with the GD. These were the last shows before Garcia's coma. They were good enough shows but they were hard to fully appreciate when all one could do was focus on trying to remain hydrated/cool. It was absolutely brutal heat.

Sheryl Crow. Wilco opened and we left at the break. Didn't even see her face. We were 3rd row center. As we walked out we gave our tickets to four people in the last row. B)

I saw that tour in Tampa. I don't know if it happened at your show but seeing the combined bands cover Badfinger as the final encore and Wilco owning was worth sitting through Sheryl Crow.

I have never walked out of a show. Wait... I just remembered that I have! When a friend and I roadtripped to Asheville to see Wilco in Oct. 2005, The NC legislature had recently allowed the sale of high ABV beer. We are both serious real beer men and were in heaven because all of the pubs had several big beers on from local brewers. We eventually settled down at Barley somethings, a great bar that I have returned to on subsequent sojourns. We got into darts and pints and had to hightail it to the Thomas Wolfe. We noticed that the venue sold good beer as we ran to our seats as the lights went down. Rose Hill Drive came out and literally had played one chord when Rommie pulls me away from our seats saying, "Fuck these long hairs. I'm buying" We returned just in time for Wilco. The next day I was mad because I had been looking forward to seeing them.

Widespread Panic. I hated it. We ran into some people we knew outside the venue, gave them our ticket stubs and they got in.

I've seen them twice since then and still hated it. Drugs didn't help either.

• 3 months later...

i know i am late to this thread, but what the hell. excellent topic.

the most recent show i walked out of on purpose was Mark Kozelek. Started late, really late, and just dicked around on stage.

i pretty much leave everything early these days. at least during the encore, unless it's like some cosmic show. which basically only happens once a year for me, if i am lucky. i guess it's because i am getting old. the last couple shows where time stopped was Black Mountain and Gillian Welch. was thinking about going to DBT with Hold Steady buy i know i would be miserable. maybe ben kweller in october will be good. and i am def. sneaking into metallica.

c