At a concert have you ever

Haven't walked out ever, but I was seriously contemplating it once. I was going for Jens Lekman, and this "band" called the Honeydrips (just a guy) came out with a laptop. He had a guitar, but he didn't use it, he just kinda lazily put his hands on it. He was like a statue, nothing. The only real interaction was "These lights, they're kinda pretty, aren't they?" My friend and I were like "wtf?" but we stuck it through because we were there for Jens. Turns out, the guitar the guy was 'holding' was Jens's guitar, but Jens was awesome, so the show was saved.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Bob Dylan last week, and I almost left. The sound was really off for the first few songs--the vocals were way too low in the mix, and he was even more of a garbled mess than usual. I'd paid a lot for the ticket and was pretty close to the stage, though, and more than anything I stayed out of respect to him. You don't walk out on Bob Dylan. I'm glad I stuck it out, since they did get better, but it was definitely the worst of the six Dylan shows I've been to over the years.

I loved his band last summer, but this time they just seemed to be going through the motions, in part because it seemed like he wouldn't let any of them solo. It sounded like instrumental filler where there should've been solos. There were also some strange arrangements of songs I love. One of the things I've always loved about Dylan was how he rearranges his songs, but there were a few songs that were so different that I only recognized them by lyrics. They did Masters of War, and I wasn't even positive that was what it was until I checked the set list a few days later. I always used to say he was one of those artists I'd catch every time he came within two hours, but I'm not sure about that anymore.

It wasn't an awful concert--Like A Rolling Stone and All Along the Watchtower was a great encore--but I've seen so many amazing shows this year that I have a feeling this one won't be that memorable in a few months.

I walked out of a Dylan concert in '98 or so, when he was touring with Paul Simon. PS opened that night and was fantastic, but we'd come for Dylan...

But the guy was so drunk (or indifferent, or whatever) that you couldn't even tell what song was being played. Walked out after I realized we were three verses into "Tangled up in Blue."

Took me a couple years to get back into Dylan, honestly... Though his set had started pretty cool, his vocals on "Sound of Silence" were amazing, like a revelation really. A shame his own songs were so pukey and unbearable.

Radiohead - Pablo Honey tour in a little club in Portland Oregon. I was bored silly after about 45 mins.

Aye...I would have loved to see that show! Im not sure how it could be boring? There is some serious shredding on Pablo Honey. What do you recall from that evening?

Jul 08 Portland, OR USA La Luna

I looked on Radioheads Greenplastic web page and they do not have a setlist or any further info. Here is the date in case you were wondering.

The Cure @ The Dean Dome around '93 I think.

Soundman had the keyboardist cranked up to 11. I've never experienced waterboarding, but imagine that single piano note in from the edge of the deep green sea at ear splitting level to be a close approximation. I pulled the ripcord.

Went to see The Pixies open for U2 on '92 arena tour. Bailed on U2, not because I hate them, but because some newb sitting in front of me was bad tripping on his first go. Tripping at a U2 show?

Also, one of my best friends slept through most of Lollapalooza '94, but that was after he had flown over to the show from Hong Kong, after a 6 hour layover in LA. He woke up for the Pumpkins. Poor bastard was pretty disappointed. The band was fighting on stage again, as usual.

Went to see The Pixies open for U2 on '92 arena tour. Bailed on U2, not because I hate them, but because some newb sitting in front of me was bad tripping on his first go. Tripping at a U2 show?

Should've walked out on a Frank Black solo show at a small bar in Des Moines about 6 years ago. He almost did. The sound was horrible and he was clearly not happy to be there. I'm convinced it was that night he decided to reunite the Pixies to cash in.

Haven't walked out ever, but I was seriously contemplating it once. I was going for Jens Lekman, and this "band" called the Honeydrips (just a guy) came out with a laptop. He had a guitar, but he didn't use it, he just kinda lazily put his hands on it. He was like a statue, nothing. The only real interaction was "These lights, they're kinda pretty, aren't they?" My friend and I were like "wtf?" but we stuck it through because we were there for Jens. Turns out, the guitar the guy was 'holding' was Jens's guitar, but Jens was awesome, so the show was saved.

yes, I saw this tour too. At first I couldn't believe that the guy was just going to stand there and sing along to his laptop but thats what he did. After a while I found it pretty funny, he would just stare intensely at the crowd during the instrumental parts of the songs and I kinda liked that.

As for walking out, I don't think I've ever done it at a club show, but at lollapalooza this year I did "walk out" of MGMT. It was way over packed for their set and the sound wasn't loud enough. From where I was they just looked stupid jumping around while making what seemed to me like very little noise. Hoofed it over to Devotchka and I was really glad I did.

I nearly left My Morning Jacket's Saturday show in Dallas because some of the main set was kind of boring ("Touch Me, I'm Going To Sleep"). We decided to see at least one song of the encore, though, and when the first song turned out to be their cover of "Tyrone", I was glad we did. Then Erykah Badu came out and joined them for the second verse. Good times. The encore was worlds better than the main set. No band needs to play for two hours and 45 minutes.

Oh yeah--I almost forgot.

I've walked out of two Wilco shows, I think. One was on the Being There tour (I was 15 or 16 and my girlfriend's dad had been waiting outside the venue for an hour to pick us up) and the other was the last time they rolled through Dallas, when I left early to catch the Bowerbirds at the club upstairs.

I know I walked out of at least one marathon Jayhawks show, too.

I also left an oversold Devendra Banhart show because A) I couldn't hear the band and B) two little indie rock dudes got in a bloody fight and ruined the vibe. It was my freak folk Altamont.

I saw Bob Dylan last week, and I almost left. The sound was really off for the first few songs--the vocals were way too low in the mix, and he was even more of a garbled mess than usual. I'd paid a lot for the ticket and was pretty close to the stage, though, and more than anything I stayed out of respect to him. You don't walk out on Bob Dylan. I'm glad I stuck it out, since they did get better, but it was definitely the worst of the six Dylan shows I've been to over the years.

I loved his band last summer, but this time they just seemed to be going through the motions, in part because it seemed like he wouldn't let any of them solo. It sounded like instrumental filler where there should've been solos. There were also some strange arrangements of songs I love. One of the things I've always loved about Dylan was how he rearranges his songs, but there were a few songs that were so different that I only recognized them by lyrics. They did Masters of War, and I wasn't even positive that was what it was until I checked the set list a few days later. I always used to say he was one of those artists I'd catch every time he came within two hours, but I'm not sure about that anymore.

It wasn't an awful concert--Like A Rolling Stone and All Along the Watchtower was a great encore--but I've seen so many amazing shows this year that I have a feeling this one won't be that memorable in a few months.

Seeing Dylan thursday so this sorta kills my enthusiasm a bit..but it's Dylan. We left Dylan early @ ACL last year because he fell asleep. But I'd pay to see him sit and stare @ a wall.

Can't believe I almost forgot about this one, but then again, I can. Jay Farrar played in a show in Des Moines about 4 years ago. It was a huge snoozer. He had a great accompanist on guitar, but he seemed to be having about as much fun as a mail clerk and showed about as much interest.

Aye...I would have loved to see that show! Im not sure how it could be boring? There is some serious shredding on Pablo Honey. What do you recall from that evening?

Jul 08 Portland, OR USA La Luna

I looked on Radioheads Greenplastic web page and they do not have a setlist or any further info. Here is the date in case you were wondering.

Ah that's right, La Luna. It used to be called the Pine Street Theater. The same place where I saw the infamous "We're Sorry Portland" show by the Replacements in 1987. I'm often amazed I did not walk out of that show...it was a total trainwreck with the climax being their unintelligible version of "Summer of 69" by Bryan Adams.

To be honest, in hindsight, I found it boring because I really didn't know any of their tunes besides "Creep" which was all over the air at the time. I think the show was like $9 or something. They were just starting to transition to the sound that they have established now. At the time, I didn't want to hear experimental stuff, now I wish I would have paid closer attention to it.

Ive actually left an allman brothers show early. The 2007 newport folk fest had a great lineup, and by the time the allman bros came on to close our group was so tired. We were also really sunburnt. There was not a sun in the sky that day, and the heat plus the sunburn was enough for us to call it quits. We saw about 10 songs and during the weight we decided to hang out and tough it out, unless a jam heavy song came up. The next song was mountain jam so we left

Seeing Dylan thursday so this sorta kills my enthusiasm a bit..but it's Dylan. We left Dylan early @ ACL last year because he fell asleep. But I'd pay to see him sit and stare @ a wall.

I think a lot of what you get from a Dylan show has to do with the set list. I checked the set list from the next night, and he played a lot more songs I'm familiar with, and I think I would've had a much better time. Chances are he was just having a bit of an off night. I hold him to a higher standard since I like him so much and have seen him so many times. I was just disappointed that the first time I had a good seat for one of his shows, he wasn't fabulous. I'm sure you'll have a good time--just make sure you don't have rain sticks to tote around :lol

I've been pretty hit or miss with Lucinda Williams for the last few years, too. Car Wheels On A Gravel Road is one of my very favorite albums, but I don't think anything she's done since has been anywhere near as good. She was about 90 minutes from here last summer, and I passed up the chance to see her.

I nearly left My Morning Jacket's Saturday show in Dallas because some of the main set was kind of boring ("Touch Me, I'm Going To Sleep"). We decided to see at least one song of the encore, though, and when the first song turned out to be their cover of "Tyrone", I was glad we did. Then Erykah Badu came out and joined them for the second verse. Good times. The encore was worlds better than the main set. No band needs to play for two hours and 45 minutes.

Nice.

Sounds like you really saw something.