PSA: Sopranos on tonight

With all due respect, Jess, it boggles my mind that you could have found that boring.

well, then you can just be boggled then. yeah, the cat was interesting and cute, it was good to see Phil's head get run over... but that's it. I was bored. totally.

you're not watching it right, you need to watch it again. it's a grower.

yeah, I'm probably not watching it right. :rolleyes

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've mentioned this before to people who seem to moan about the ambiguity and open-endedness of shows like The Sopranos and Lost- perhps Law & Order is more up your alley.

Anyone used to the Sopranos M.O. should know that the both the mundane tribulations of family life and the specter of imminent demise are always haunting the scene. The biggest weight on Tony's shoulders was relieved when Phil took some lead and American union-made steel to the dome- but as Tony's suspicious glares around Holston's will affirm, the weight is never truly removed in his line of work. Tony may have witnessed some of what lay in store during his poignant visit with Junior- "it's all a big nothing", right? There is always a fall from power. Paulie, too looks like a tired and numbed man by the end, content to soak up the sun outside Satriale's, remembering the good times as best he can.

I loved the selections on the jukebox. David Chase almost certainly made sure to linger on "My Way". I'm glad he avoided the temptation of an out-of-character spectacle to close out the series.

OK I need to watch this again...Am I crazy or was Tony seeing himself in that diner as he was looking in the window before he entered? Did I see Adriana in there as well? What about that guy (Finnerty?) that he busted out his store and he got AJ's SUV from did I see him in there as well?

The minute it ended and went to black I was kind of pissed, but then I started laughing. I think Chase ended this perfectly. Like Tony always says It's all a big nothing.

whether you love or hate the ending, I sure wouldn't want to be Chase for the next couple of weeks. No matter what he did he would have drawn criticism I think.

I'm veering wildly back and forth between these two viewpoints.

Instead of taking Tony down out of karmic retribution, Chase got his karmic revenge on us for caring too much about this "jack-off fantasy on TV" in the first place.

And yet... is it possible that we're witnessing Tony's last moment alive? What did Bobby say to him on the boat, in the first episode of this last run? "You probably don't even hear it when it happens, right?" Maybe the abrupt ending is Tony getting shot, without even realizing it?

I think I'm leaning toward the latter scenario -- our window into the Sopranos' world disappears when Tony's consciousness ends, kind of like the way Season 6A's early episodes were dominated by Tony's comatose hallucinations.

My best friend and fellow Soprano-fan had a long conversation last night after the "finale." We both agree the sixth season was a total disgrace to the wonderful legacy of the show, though I didn't hate last night's episode as much as many seem to. My friend and myself came to a realization about the last season: there were no characters introduced that you really cared about. Think about the powderkegs in the previous seasons: Mikey Palimisi in Season 1, Richie Aprile in Season 2, Ralph Cifaretto in Season 3, Tony Blundetto in Season 5, Phil Leotardo in Season 5. These guys came in and really shook things up and made the show very interesting. This last season? There were new guys in Satriales every episode. Think about the bald fat guy that was Tony's driver. He was in the entire season yet I couldn't even tell you his name.

I could go on. I have many qualms about the lack of wit and creativity in the writing overall in the last season. They should have ended it with Season 5.

Basically, here it is in a nutshell - What would you rather listen to: Music From Big Pink or Islands?

cut to black, focus on the good times.

No one at the water cooler today is focused on the good times. I love it. Chase is amazing. The more I think about it, the more I love last night's episode.

I have many qualms about the lack of wit and creativity in the writing overall in the last season. They should have ended it with Season 5.

The writing in season 6 was perhaps the best in the whole series.

I wish I could see it that way, but I can't. I look at the whole Vito thing as prime evidence of a lack of original or even good ideas. It could have been resolved in 1 or 2 episodes, but they milked it to death, then even after the guy is whacked we have to deal with his son, then constant references to Vito all the way until the end, when it wasn't that great of a plot twist to begin with. I know its foolish to say such things, but long gone was the powerful and emotional writing of the third and fourth seasons. In the earlier days, the writers had plenty of ammo to keep my interest wholeheartedly. I just see the last season as an example of what happens when something good wears out its welcome.

It's been downhill ever since that that stupid Christopher Columbus Episode back in Season 4. I don't think people pay 15 more a month for HBO to "create your own ending". Unreal.

:lol

THEY SHOULD HAVE ENDED THE SEASON LAST WEEK WITH EVERYONE GETTING KILLED, THEN ADDED PHIL GETTING KILLED THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER ENDING THAN THAT BULLSHIT LAST NIGHT.
I wish I could see it that way, but I can't. I look at the whole Vito thing as prime evidence of a lack of original or even good ideas. It could have been resolved in 1 or 2 episodes, but they milked it to death, then even after the guy is whacked we have to deal with his son, then constant references to Vito all the way until the end, when it wasn't that great of a plot twist to begin with. I know its foolish to say such things, but long gone was the powerful and emotional writing of the third and fourth seasons. In the earlier days, the writers had plenty of ammo to keep my interest wholeheartedly. I just see the last season as an example of what happens when something good wears out its welcome.

I agree with your, Chase ran out of gas theory.

this season seemed more about getting closure for each character.

I liked the ending. I wouldn't say I loved it as the final scene was definitely a little manipulative. But whatever - we're suckers for allowing ourselves to be manipulated so easily.

And Tony DID tell Carmella "families can't be touched". So maybe it's true - and maybe the Sopranos will live on in movies / books / videogames / spinoffs / action figures / lunchboxes...