Glenn Kotche is inhuman

do you mean high school? because I know Kris Meyers went to Elmhurst College and Kotche went to University of Kentucky.

I swore they did,but I guess I'm wrong.Where was the conection from then?I know they are buddies,right?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who ever said Dave Matthews Band was any good?

I did, they're wicked talented. Carter Beauford is a god on drums, Stefan Lessard is a very good bass player, LeRoi Moore is an awesome sax player, Boyd Tinsley is ok on violin, Butch Taylor is a pretty good keyboardist, Rashawn Ross is an amazing trumpet player, and Dave Matthews is a really good rhythm guitar player and one of the best songwriters of the 90's. Before These Crowded Streets is one of the top 5 albums of the nineties, and Under The Table And Dreaming and Crash are both fantastic records.

I did, they're wicked talented. Carter Beauford is a god on drums, Stefan Lessard is a very good bass player, LeRoi Moore is an awesome sax player, Boyd Tinsley is ok on violin, Butch Taylor is a pretty good keyboardist, Rashawn Ross is an amazing trumpet player, and Dave Matthews is a really good rhythm guitar player and one of the best songwriters of the 90's. Before These Crowded Streets is one of the top 5 albums of the nineties, and Under The Table And Dreaming and Crash are both fantastic records.

I agree completely. I love DMB and I don't care what anybody else says. It won't change the fact that I thoroughly enjoy their music!!

Who ever said Dave Matthews Band was any good?

Psst. Didn't you get the memo that we're supposed to check our elitism at the door once the VW ad started airing?

I'm not really here to defend or condemn the DMB. I liked em for a while in the early days but grew away from them...but I'll still give them their due as musicians. Like the music or not (or, more likely, in this case--like the fans or not) its hard to argue that they can play. Whether that's your thing or whether you think it is "wanky" is another matter. But what's the point in criticizing people for their tastes?

are you serious? Have you even watched/listened to either of them play? They are two of the most talented drummers playing right now. Their bands would definitely not be as good without either. Once Umphrey's got Kris, they got much better. They're both incredible. Listening to a live version of Two Step or Tripping Billies by Dave Matthews Band and pretty much any song by Umphrey's and you'll see what I mean.

I followed dave matthews back in high school (just like everyone else in the world) and have seen them live plenty of times. I've seen UM a good bit live too. I know all about them. They are talented, but not even close man...sorry. This is coming from someone who works in music, has seen hundreds of shows, and a musician as well. Plenty of better drummers out there than these two.

I'll tell you one band, and drummer, that make DMB and carter look like a child is that DREAM THEATER group. All of those guys are musicians on steroids. Not to mention, Mike Portnoy is always in the top 3 drummers on every list i've seen, and it shows. Not a big fan of their music, but man, they are ridiculous.

Before These Crowded Streets is one of the top 5 albums of the nineties, and Under The Table And Dreaming and Crash are both fantastic records.

Top 5 albums in the nineties...., that's a pretty steep comment. :ermm

I'm no drummer, but I always thought that Ringo was underrated.

Ringo was the perfect drummer for the Beatles. Anyone who thinks Ringo is a bad drummer has not watched the full length version of the Beatles Anthology. Ringo tears it up on those European TV appearances. He was not a technically skilled drummer in a "blazing chops" type of way, but he was amazing at navigating a lot of complicated song structures and did it while maintaining an instantly recognizable sound and feel. Nobody can copy him convincingly, and many have tried.

hahah exactly!

A long thread on drummers and no one even mentions the name CONVERTINO? I thought you people were music fans, fgs.

And Pence. Matt Pence.

These two guys are as good as anyone going. JonCon may be as good as anyone ever.

Definitely rate a mention. Rate a listen even more.

You guys who are into jam-bands should check out Jeff Sipe aka "Apt. Q 258". That guy is an amazing drummer. I used to see him with Col. Bruce Hampton & the Aquarium Rescue Unit years ago. I'm sure he's still great, but I dropped out of the jam band scene after HORDE 2.

George Hurley was a monster drummer back in the Minutemen and fIREHOSE days.

Stupid question here---

What is the proper way to pronounce Glenn's last name?

Is Kotch like former NY Mayor Ed Kotch or...

Kotch-ee

or is it KOatch with a long "O" sound...

or a combination of any of the above. This question has kept me up nights. :stunned

Stupid question here---

What is the proper way to pronounce Glenn's last name?

Is Kotch like former NY Mayor Ed Kotch or...

Kotch-ee

or is it KOatch with a long "O" sound...

or a combination of any of the above. This question has kept me up nights. :stunned

Co as in 'cold' and che as in 'cheese'. Co-che!

I'm no drummer, but I always thought that Ringo was underrated.

It's not just you.

Listen to TICKET TO RIDE.

Listen to A DAY IN THE LIFE or GOOD MORNING.

Listen to COME TOGETHER.

I could go on. Ringo was the perfect drummer for The Beatles and no one needs to apologize for his perceived lack of ability. John Bonham might be able to "outduel" him but since I have no desire to listen to either play a 10 minute solo that hardly matters to me...