Glenn Kotche is inhuman

But seriously, what's the hatred against The Shua? He has some good points most of the time.

Hatred? What? I was merely agreeing he put a damper on the nice discussion in this thread by insulting a previous poster. Note that he said nothing relating to the thread topic. He posted only to insult.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must reply in agreement with this statement as well. I saw him twice in King Crimson touring on Lark's Tongues in Aspic (in 1973!), and I was duly blown away.

I'm greener than grass right now

Dave Grohl is a pretty damn good drummer. Pity the rest of his band is so shite.

Negative. Think what you will about their songs (I think they range from good to great, especially their early stuff), but they have some pretty talented musicians. That bassists is really great, Taylor's a fine drummer, and Dave is an extremely talented multi-instrumentalist person.

But seriously, what's the hatred against The Shua? He has some good points most of the time.

Because he treats his opinion as fact and has a tendency to say douchebaggy things, such as the thing he said at the top of page 2. ~TheShua

do you know his name? sounds very interesting...

I TOTALLY spaced on that and didn't realize I hadn't typed it.

I meant Don Kerr though Wojewoda is also pretty great (he produced the Barenaked Ladies' first album and some other great Canadian albums too.)

Anyway, apparently Don Kerr has a Myspace page (he plays cello too, for what that is worth).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=83566826

And if I can add my general drummer thoughts quickly - it's all about the right guy for the right band.

Carter Beauford IS amazing (whether you like DMB or not) but he wouldn't fit in Wilco or, say, The Beatles.

Ringo Starr, Charlie Watts and Max Weinberg are all pretty straightforward drummers who are nonethless crucial parts of their bands' sound. Ultimately this is like a high school debate about who rocks more...Kotche is awesome and (obviously) exactly what Wilco needed for what Tweedy was hearing in his head.

I already mentioned Don Kerr who I love and I'll throw in Glenn Milchelm of Blue Rodeo - another Toronto guy but if you like Uncle Tupelo and Wilco you should certainly like Blue Rodeo who were doing "alt country" five years before anyone had a name for it.

That's it for my flag waving.

There aren't too many bands where I stop and especially watch the drummer but Wilco, Blue Rodeo and DMB are three of em. I love Steve Ferronne who has been playing with Tom Petty for the last few years but he's more of a steady guy than a flashy guy. Semi-little-known trivia: Dave Grohl was asked to join the Heartbreakers (he played with them once on SNL) but that whole Foo Fighters thing was taking off....would have been interesting.

Not a bad list we got going here. Here's a few more, keeping in the jazzy/jammy line of thinking, I guess:

Stanton Moore (Galactic/Garage a Trois/solo)

Billy Martin (Medeski Martin & Wood...not the former baseball manager)

Carter Beauford is quite good. I saw DMB a lot in their early days and really enjoyed his playing and thought the band had tremendous potential. Its a shame the way things stagnated once they started becoming more famous.(I'm sure they can still cook live, tho, which is probably why they still have a following) Oh well. I have often thought over the years that The Dave Matthews Band might sound better without Dave Matthews in it, but I guess The Band is already taken. :hmm

edit:

Late addition for Charlie Watts. "Bitch" came on the radio on my way to work this morning and his drumming just kills in that song. He's not flashy, but it works.

Late addition for Charlie Watts. "Bitch" came on the radio on my way to work this morning and his drumming just kills in that song. He's not flashy, but it works.

Yup. It may not be the most inventive stuff, but Charlie grooves like nobody else. Or as Mick sings, "It's only rock and roll, but I LIKE IT, yes I do."

Next, Glenn just kills me. So consistently interesting, innovative, but still rocking and grooving. Wow. One of my quibbles with SBS is definately that Glenn doesn't get to stretch out more. (not that I mean to slag the record - it has really grown on me).

Next, regarding the DMB guy - I find his playing really interesting and enjoyable. I'm not a big DMB fan (really only get into the Listener Supported disc, which I do find pretty interesting) but I will say that I don't think I'd be nearly as interested in DMB if there was a different drummer.

I'm trying to think of who else I really enjoy and blanking. Maybe more later. How do you classify some of the stuff happening with Tom Waits' records?

Ian

Joey Waronker is an amzing drummer. I saw him with Walt Mink years ago. Unbelievable. He was also good with Beck, but I only saw him w/ Beck on tv. I don't know what he's doing now.

Darren Jesse was great in Ben Folds Five. I don't know what he's doing now, either.

Being a drummer myself, most of the drummers that inspired me tend to be '60s/'70s rock guys who grew up playing jazz. Somehow, that's the stuff I listened to in high school in the '80s and '90s. Mitch Mitchell, Clive Bunker (from the first few Jethro Tull records), Michael Giles (original King Crimson line-up), Bill Bruford, Ginger Baker, Micheal Shrieve, anyone who played with Zappa, etc.

Of course, I also like Ringo, Keith Moon, Bonham, Neil Peart, Dino Danelli (the Rascals), etc.

Billy Cobham's work with Mahavishnu Orchestra is amazing.

If you like Mahavishnu, you might want to check out "Emergency" and "Turn it Over" by Tony Williams Lifetime. John McLaughlin is on guitar and Larry Young on organ.

If you like Mahavishnu, you might want to check out "Emergency" and "Turn it Over" by Tony Williams Lifetime. John McLaughlin is on guitar and Larry Young on organ.

thanks, I'll check it out.

thanks, I'll check it out.

:thumbup I think you'll like it. It's sort of the same style as Mahavishnu: High-energy, crazy chops jazz rock. Same guitarist in both bands.

All those Mahavishnu albums with Billy Cobham are great.

He really is, i'd rate him up there with Kris Myers from Umphrey's McGee (absolutely mindblowing, can play many, many different styles)

I agree that Glenn and Myers are two of the best around right now. Kris tends to do a bit too much at times, which is also the nature of Umphrey's McGee's music, so its hard to hold that against him. Glenn definitely plays with "space" in his drumming.

For those of you in Chicago, check out Kris Myers at the Webster Wine Bar on Monday's (When Umphrey's is not touring).

Oh, and Umphrey's is not shitty, if you want proof please download this show from this thread I created a few weeks ago, then get back to me. http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=28615

Danny Carey

Mike Portnoy

Terry Bozzio

Dennis Chambers

and of course, Peart are the top right now...but I'll let you in on a little somethin' somethin'

TONY ROYSTER JR. He's only 21 right now...but will easily be the best ever. Go ahead, YOUTUBE him...watch his solo when he was 12.

haha! Well said my friend. :thumbup !!!!!

Carter and the Umphrey's drummer don't even compare to what's out there today.

are you serious? Have you even watched/listened to either of them play? They are two of the most talented drummers playing right now. Their bands would definitely not be as good without either. Once Umphrey's got Kris, they got much better. They're both incredible. Listening to a live version of Two Step or Tripping Billies by Dave Matthews Band and pretty much any song by Umphrey's and you'll see what I mean.