Glenn Kotche is inhuman

He really is, i'd rate him up there with Kris Myers from Umphrey's McGee (absolutely mindblowing, can play many, many different styles) and Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews Band (manimal is the only word i have to describe him) as the best drummers around right now, not counting my all time favorite drummer, Neil Peart. Glenn owns life. discuss.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would have to throw Michael Shrieve and Bill Buford in that mix.

Glenn is great. Beauford's good too, but listen to Dave Weckl, he blows him away.

Bill Buford is an author, Bill Bruford is a drummer. I have no idea who Beauford is. :monkey

Carter Beauford:

- 9.22.06 Charlottesville, VA Carter's Two Step drum solo and jam with Robert Randolph on pedal steel guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptta9IdVwyA - Say Goodbye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKfA8-zHn2g - Tripping Billies

Kris Myers:

- 12.31.04 Chicago, IL The Crooked One

- Andy's Last Beer

- Miss Tinkle's Overture

- Mulche's Odyssey > Immigrant Song

I would guess no one on this board has really heard of him but there's a guy up here in Toronto who is awesome and similar in style to Kotche. He also rarely stands out but uses the kit and found objects as more of an insturment than a simple rhythm provider. He produces records and now tours with Ron Sexsmith but for a long time he was in a great local band called Rheostatics who recently played a farewell show after 20 years in the biz...

I would guess no one on this board has really heard of him but there's a guy up here in Toronto who is awesome and similar in style to Kotche. He also rarely stands out but uses the kit and found objects as more of an insturment than a simple rhythm provider. He produces records and now tours with Ron Sexsmith but for a long time he was in a great local band called Rheostatics who recently played a farewell show after 20 years in the biz...

do you know his name? sounds very interesting...

Glenn is very gifted at what he does.

Stephen Perkins, from Jane's Addiction, is one of the loudest rockin' drummers I've had the pleasure to watch play several times. His band, Banyan, often features Mike Watt and Nels from time to time.

what other shitty bands do you enjoy?

I'm not sure if he was talking about the bands,just the drummers.I could be wrong.

Kris and Glenn are friends and wen't to school together.

play nice, theshua

Agreed.

*shakes the buzzkill off this thread*

Bill Bruford. Is the man.

I must reply in agreement with this statement as well. I saw him twice in King Crimson touring on Lark's Tongues in Aspic (in 1973!), and I was duly blown away.

I'm not sure if he was talking about the bands,just the drummers.I could be wrong.

Kris and Glenn are friends and wen't to school together.

do you mean high school? because I know Kris Meyers went to Elmhurst College and Kotche went to University of Kentucky.

I saw them both at Elmhurst College's percussion ensemble spring performance, and I think they both had the guy in charge of the program as a teacher, if my memory serves me right.

But seriously, what's the hatred against The Shua? He has some good points most of the time.