Name drop bands you like that

Oh, and for you Wilco fans (all of you, I presume):

Dolly Varden - another Chicago alt-country band that has expanded the bounderies of the genre. Great husband/wife lead vocals, moody, atmospheric synth and organ sounds, and just flat-out great songwriting.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wiyos - Vaudevillian Ragtime Blues, Hillbilly Swing and Old Time Country

I saw these guys at a small music shop up in LA and fell in love with them. My roommate caught them at a The Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival in Winfield, KS and dragged me up to this show. Go see them if they come around your parts.

http://truthfacerecordings.com/wiyos/

Another UK artist:

Tony Hazzard - Tony Hazzard Sings Tony Hazzard

i43629v9y9f.jpg

RIYL: The Hollies, Dave Clark Five, and that ilk. (This album has the original version of "Fox On the Run".)

(click photo for more-lengthy description)

Saw these guys (and gal) in concert in Tampa back in 1993 or 94. Great show by a great band. They gave me a hard time for buying a Play Cell cassette from them instead of vinyl. I also bought a t-shirt from them. "Crying Jag" is still one of my favorite punk song ever. I still love a lot of those old Lookout! bands from the late 80sarly 90s, especially Crimpshrine. That stuff has aged well in my opinion.

I saw them in 94 or 95 in Pensacola Florida. I was the only one of my friends who had actually heard of them and I could only get one of my friends to go. After the show my friend bought a CD and went over and had the singer, Cinder Block, sign it. I didn't do it because I was trying to act all cool because I had a huge crush on the singer and didn't want her to think I was a dork by asking for her autograph. Anyway, after the show my friend, James, showed me the CD and Cinder wrote on it that she thought that he was cute. I was so pissed and jealous. To top it off, about a year or so ago I ended up getting Cinder's e-mail address somehow and I emailed her about a show that her new band, Retching Red, was putting on. In the e-mail I relayed to her the story I just mentioned and her exact response was "Aw, that's sweet. I'm sure I thought that you were cute too". There's nothing like getting delayed pity for something that happened 12 years ago.

I saw them in 94 or 95 in Pensacola Florida. I was the only one of my friends who had actually heard of them and I could only get one of my friends to go. After the show my friend bought a CD and went over and had the singer, Cinder Block, sign it. I didn't do it because I was trying to act all cool because I had a huge crush on the singer and didn't want her to think I was a dork by asking for her autograph. Anyway, after the show my friend, James, showed me the CD and Cinder wrote on it that she thought that he was cute. I was so pissed and jealous. To top it off, about a year or so ago I ended up getting Cinder's e-mail address somehow and I emailed her about a show that her new band, Retching Red, was putting on. In the e-mail I relayed to her the story I just mentioned and her exact response was "Aw, that's sweet. I'm sure I thought that you were cute too". There's nothing like getting delayed pity for something that happened 12 years ago.

You do know that Cinder Block's husband was the guitarist for Tilt, right?

Does anybody remember Scherzo? Now there's a long-lost, criminally-underrated Lookout! band!!! They had a heavy Fugazi/Ignition/Soul Side influence, but they definitely fit in with that goofy Berkeley, Gilman Street scene too. I had both of their albums on cassette back in the day. Goddam, I miss that band.

Pete Krebs - Portland singer-songwriter who toured with Elliott Smith. "Western Electric" was produced by Elliott Smith, and that's how I discovered Krebs, a great find for those who like singer-songwriters. Can also find his albums under "Pete Krebs & the Gossamer Wings".

SRC. A great, relatively unheralded psych-pop band out of Detroit from the golden age of psychedelica ('68-'72). They were fairly popular in the Midwest I guess.

Lead by the brothers Quackenbush (Gary - lead guitar and Glenn - keyboards) these guys went into fairly progressive territory. Their LP "Milestones" is a psych masterpiece imo. Gary's heavily sustained, melodic guitar is beautiful - especially on the first side closer "In the Hall of the Mountain King > Beck's Bolero". The second side closes with the truly hippie-dippie (and heavily Donovan "Atlantis"- inspired) "The Angel Song".

It may be hard to locate but check it out if you can find it.

That Pisapia solo album is probably my favorite release of the new millenium.

Yeah, I hear ya. It is a terrific album. He said he plans on doing another sometime....but with his work with guster, who knows...

I know I've mentioned these guys before, but everyone should give Southeast Engine a listen. They always draw comparisons to Being There era Wilco. Their MySpace, which doesn't have their best songs on it, but still good.

I caught Ekoostik Hookah last night for the first time in a long time. These guys are amazing. Yes, it's "jam band" material but they're very innovative. I like their style. They can turn on a dime in the middle of a tune.

Wow. I used to be into these guys in the mid-90s. Really great live band. Do they still have that killer guitar player?

Wow. I used to be into these guys in the mid-90s. Really great live band. Do they still have that killer guitar player?

I'm not sure who to compare him to, but the guitar player was pretty fantastic. They were very good musicians, but their style in crafting a tune is what stands out to me. Non-repetitive, fresh, and innovative.

I'd also like to drop the names of:

Tony Futado (eclectic multi-stringed instrumentalist/singer/song-writer)

Dexter Grove/ Charlie Orlando (Folk-Rock)

The Motet (Dave Watts) (jazzy improv-ish Funk)

Hot Rize (straight up Bluegrass vein)

Elizabeth Cotton (North Carolina Appalachian Mountain Americana/Folk-ster)

and 40s jump-blues honker Bull Moose Jackson (no relation to Walter).

holy shit! there's a name I enevr thought I'd see around here. he put out some albums with the Flashcats back in the 80's. my mom's boyfriend at the time, was a studio musician on one or two of them, he also played with them live when they'd do their big band style shows.

Dogbowl

It's a guy, not a band. He used to be in King Missile, before going solo.

www.dogbowl.com

I'll have to check that out. I remember him from King Missile but was completely unaware of his own material.

One of the coolest things I ever caught was King Missile in a tiny bar near VT college in the mid-80s and they encored with "Tuesday's Gone, " (Skynyrd) with John Hall singing while wearing a gas mask.