Name drop bands you like that

and if you dig Modey Lemon, you should check out Midnite Snake, it's another band that ML's drummer, Paul Quattrone is in. heavy instrumental music. they have a couple albums on iTunes.

Cool, I will definately check them out. Thanks for the rec.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've mentioned them here before, but I'll say it again...the Avett Brothers. While they're mostly known for their high energy shows (using guitar, banjo, upright bass, and kickdrum no less), they also have songs with really pretty melodies. I'd love to see these guys open for Wilco one of these days.

I'll second these cats. An article from the most recent jambase.com:

http://www.jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=10641

A couple of acts I always like to catch when they come into town:

Charlie Orlando. Formerly of a duo called Dexter Grove. Now a one-man show or often with his own band now. Folky-Rock thet's good for the head and soul.

Polytoxic. The keyboardist, CR Gruver, used to live in Denver until recently and now lives in New Orleans and plays in a funky rock band called Outformationhad. Polytoxic (drums, keys, and guitar) although they had some originals, were best known for covering entire albums. A hippie band at heart, they covered the Last Waltz in it's entirety the past two years at Thanksgiving time. They've also covered Europe '72, GnR's Appetitie for Destruction, and Exile on Main St., among many other.

David Zollo. A keyboardist from Idaho who has had several incarnations of bands over the years (The Body Electric, High and Lonesome, etc.). A raspy southerny voice and some amazing song-writing/playing makes him a favorite "unknown."

Jerry Joseph. Often playing with his entire band Jerry Joseph and the Jack Mormons, Jerry's been around for awhile. His band from the 80s/90s, Little Women, were reaggae-rock and pretty popular on the jam scene. He's also collaborated with Widespread Panic quite a bit (wrote "Climb To Safety") and shows up to join Steve Kimock and the ilk on occasion.

Eleventh Dream Day (underrated Midwestern indie-rock pioneers)
One of my personal favorites...was listening to Beet the other day. A touch or two of Wilco in them I think.

LouieB

I never tire of mentioning Eef Barzelay. His disbanded group, Clem Snide, is marginally well-known. He's awesome. The Clem Snide stuff is all good, but I recommend his solo, "Ballad of Bitter Honey" album the most. Eef is my second favorite artist, nipping at the heels of Jeff in first place.

ozark mountain daredevils

One of my college instructors lives in their old house near Yellville, Arkansas. I'm practically famous.

Buffalo Tom (I am sure many of the oldsters around here have heard of them)

The Scrimshanders (great alt-country rock band that sound like a jacked up Uncle Tupelo)

The National Lights (one of the best beautiful yet dark sounding singer-songwriter albums ever created . . . and it came out this year!!!)

If we are dragging out the oldies, I could name a ton of crazy stuff no one really wants to hear. (I threatened to do that a few years ago...)

LouieB

Do it! Do it! Do it! :thumbup Go man, go!

I just mentioned them in another thread, but I'll do it again: Circuit Riders

Let's see ... how about Missing Persons? Nobody ever mentions them on here.

I was gonna mention Endrick Brothers but someone got there first, still well worth a listen though.

Thea Gilmore, Big Ditch Road, Ed Harcourt.

patty hurst shifter (fans of early wilco might like em)

dead confederate (led zeppelin meats mmj)

cartridge family (sound like when new wave was cool)

the bleeding hearts (party rockers ripping off riffs from everyone from kiss to neil geraldo)

a decent animal (local shoegazer types with a lot of heart and talent)

explorers club (yeh they get written up in mojo and on pitchfork but good luck buying anything from them unless you're in england, poppy garge rock with great harmonies)

carry ann hearst (5' tall alt country dynamo)

and as usual, they all are probably on myspace.

Buffalo Tom are excellent. I still pull out Let Me Come Over all the time, and the self titled album, too, though less so. Interesting coincidence seeing Buffalo Tom making a new record at the same time as Dino Jr's, given that J mixed their debut (as well as contributing a little guitar). I never did hear Birdbrain or the other stuff - anyone know if its any good?

And yeah, intodeep, Mastodon are awesome. ;)