Name drop bands you like that

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw world party in a club circa Goodbye Jumbo and not only were they incredible, i was blown away by what a great guitarist Karl Wallinger is

He's one of those great at everything guys... World Party CD's were often Wallinger tracking on top of himself, many times. Great writer, great vocalist, great multi-instrumentalist, great arranger, great writer, great writer (yep, I repeat myself when it bares repeating repeatedly). I was lucky enough to be at a sound check a few years ago in Long Island for the tour after his rehabilition from the stroke/aneurism.. Watched him making fret marks on the side of his guitar neck with a sharpie because he lost quite a bit of his eyesight. And the show ROCKED!!! Why he's not a legend will always mystify me.

He's one of those great at everything guys... World Party CD's were often Wallinger tracking on top of himself, many times. Great writer, great vocalist, great multi-instrumentalist, great arranger, great writer, great writer (yep, I repeat myself when it bares repeating repeatedly). I was lucky enough to be at a sound check a few years ago in Long Island for the tour after his rehabilition from the stroke/aneurism.. Watched him making fret marks on the side of his guitar neck with a sharpie because he lost quite a bit of his eyesight. And the show ROCKED!!! Why he's not a legend will always mystify me.

agree

hell of a nice guy, too

i'm very happy he's healthy again after such a scary stretch there

i get chills thinking about them doing "love street" at that gig. unfuckingbelievably great

The Tragically Hip. I know Wilco toured with them back in the day.. that would have been incredible to see.

Their new stuff is really "dad rocky" but the older stuff never lets me down. They are also still some of the best performers out there.

no one cares about Grubbs.

Although Grubbs was part of two bands that I really like:

Squirrel Bait - 1980s melodic hardcore band from Louisville who put out two great albums

Wingdale Community Singers - folky group that he started with the author Rick Moody and vocalist Hannah Marcus

yeah, the 2 Squirrel Bait records slay. see if you can find the Motorolla Cloudburst 7", which was put out by The Pope, a mag run by Tim Adams before he started Ajax. it was SB in disguise.

I've got that single; it's a good one. I actually wrote Grubbs (or really Squirrel Bait as a whole) a fan letter in about 1987 and he wrote me a nice letter back, telling me what all of the SB band members were up to. And he also told me to track down the Motorola Cloudburst single.

Ah, the Pope. That was a great mag.

Apollo Sunshine

Boston psych/pop/prog band that sounds like some bastard hybrid of early Pink Floyd, The Olivia Tremor Control, and (on some tunes) Velvet Underground. Outstanding musicianship and great songs with lots of hooks.

© (a.k.a. "Circle C")

Vancouver band that is a band after my own heart. Genre-hopping all over the place, and doing it with style. I have a hard time describing these guys, but I know that they are made up of former members of a band called Slow (whoever they were). For fans of lots of stuff.

Relatively Clean Rivers

Imagine if CSN hadn't been quite so overexposed and had been a bit more like the Grateful Dead. Yeah, like that. (But, of course, not quite as brilliant, either.) Yeah, kinda like that.

Raphael Saadiq

In my eyes, the savior of old school soul. The Way I See It is a record that just makes me feel good. Kinda like a lost Smokey Robinson album, at times. But then, there are the modern touches (and occasional overt sexual references) that remind you that this was an album that was made in 2008, not 1968.

Sixto Rodriguez

A Chicano Dylan? That's how he was being promoted back when his album first came out in the late 60's. He had a minor hit in one of the South American countries (I forget which one), and then disappeared. That album was just reissued a couple of years ago, and I gotta say that it's pretty damn good. Yeah, there's the Dylan influence, but also a lot of organ and psych touches, too. At times, it sounds a bit like Manchester, England in the late 80's/early 90's. But not too much.

The Millennium

Pure studio orchestral pop from the studio studs that helped create the album sounds of the early Byrds records and The Association. Multiple harmonies abound, as to a dizzying variety of strings and keyboard instruments. Wonderful bass playing. For fans of The Association, 70's-era Hollies, and stuff like that.

The Format

If you thought that it would be impossible to create an entire album full of nothing but hooks and perfect pop songs that still resonate, emotionally... think again. Dog Problems is it. Written in the wake of two breakups both with a girlfriend and a record label this is pretty much a perfect record. With singalong choruses that have lines like: "I love love/I love being in love/I don't care what it does to me...", this is one of the best of the '00s.

Bloque

Columbian rock band that infuses their music with elements of hip-hop, punk, and whatever else they feel like throwing into the mix. (Of course, that includes some traditional Columbian music, as well.) Their self-titled album sold basically nil for David Byrne's Luaka Bop label, but that just makes is an underappreciated/underrated great. I wouldn't call it a "classic", but it is a whole lot of fun.

The Tragically Hip. I know Wilco toured with them back in the day.. that would have been incredible to see.

Their new stuff is really "dad rocky" but the older stuff never lets me down. They are also still some of the best performers out there.

Tragically Hip are great...fun concerts too. I actually like their new stuff but I really am a fan of Music at Work and Phantom Power...

Frankie Miller

1970's British/Scottish Pub Rock/R&B singer whose voice bears more than a passing resemblance to Rod Stewart's. The music, itself is also reminiscent of Rod's early 70's stuff, with an acoustic take on hard R&B. The only album that I know of his is Once In a Blue Moon, which features Brinsley Schwarz as his backing band. So, you know, it is pretty excellent.

Noah can vouch for these (if he's old enough to remember them)

Ten Hands

Three on a Hill

Tablet

Spot

Sorta

REO Speedealer

The Swinging Steaks from my Hometown of Needham MA

I mentioned to my friend in the Band a couple of yrs back that I'm really liking this band called Wilco..

He said that in (I think 96?) They were on a cover of Billboard w/ Wilco we both laughed He of course likes them as well

I invite you to check out there late 90's appearance on Conan here www.swingingsteaks.com

Others

going way back The Barbarians local am Band MADE IT TO TAMMY SHOW woo hooo

out of New York hard working R & B funk band Milo Z see em live

out of Martha's Vineyard Entrain lots of fun Live backed up BO Diddley thankfully got a chance to hang out w/ him and what fun stories

"ain't nobody today writing like Muddy" fun night

Merrick Section

"Merrick Section's music is a roomy brand of Americana rock, easygoing but polished. It's got pop hooks, but an expansive musical sense..."

www.myspace.com/merricksection

> augie march (australia. don't have a comparison. good stuff if a little dark and brooding.)

I just discovered Augie March through my penchant for buying $.01 CDs on Amazon. I picked up a copy of Moo, You Bloody Choir and listened to it in its entirety on my home stereo, something I don't get to do that much anymore (I usually just road test my "new" used CDs in the car to make sure there are no skips and then burn them onto my iMac and iPod). Anyway, this is quite a band. I'd say that Moo is one of the better CDs from newer bands I've heard in the last decade. I'll be delving into the rest of their little catalogue for sure.