Name drop bands you like that

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spenceracuff (north carolina. kinda guster-ish)

this is me smiling (chicago. kinda ben folds-ish)

augie march (australia. don't have a comparison. good stuff if a little dark and brooding.)

Jerry Joseph. Often playing with his entire band Jerry Joseph and the Jack Mormons, Jerry's been around for awhile. His band from the 80s/90s, Little Women, were reaggae-rock and pretty popular on the jam scene. He's also collaborated with Widespread Panic quite a bit (wrote "Climb To Safety") and shows up to join Steve Kimock and the ilk on occasion.

He's amazing. Really good lyrics and catchy tunes. Also check out Stockholm Syndrome which is him playing with some bad ass motherfuckers.

> augie march (australia. don't have a comparison. good stuff if a little dark and brooding.)

first i'd heard of them when he supported wilco in april... some nice tunes, but glenn solo nearly put me asleep at times. i think that harmonica player in the group did doze off at times!

Also check out Stockholm Syndrome which is him playing with some bad ass motherfuckers.

Yes. Wally Ingram on drums (he of David Lindley notoriety) Dave Schools (bassist for WSP) Eric McFadden (incredible guitarist who has his own band) and a keyboard player (I forget his deal). I've seen them once or twice 'round these parts. Good stuff.

I also caught Jerry Joseph playing/singing withZero a few months back: comprised of Greg Anton (drums), Donna Godchaux (vocals), Steve Kimmock (guitar), Melvin Seals (keys), Martin Fierro (sax) and Kimmock's kid, John, also on drums.

Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons...

I have a CD from when they were called Breathing Machine that is great.

Seek them out, they are all over the midwest.

They did a show in Fon Du Lac (or Oshkosh, somewhere up there) where Rick Nielsen and Bun E. Carlos sat in as special guests.

4klt4bd.jpg

Spiral Beach - If you're a fan of the Unicorns or the Hidden Cameras definately check out these guys. Saw them at Mariposa last year, they're only 18 I think but tons of fun. Check it out.

I haven't any of his stuff beyond one particular album, but I bought that album without knowing who he was and on the basis of really great songs-Todd Snider. The album-Near Truths & Hotel Rooms. He is in the vein of Robert Earl Keen & Jerry Jeff Walker. He writes some funny songs, sad songs, and just beautiful songs. He also tells some funny stories. favorite tracks-Beer Run, The Story of the Ballad of the Devil's Backbone (or something pretty close to that; the story is actually funnier than the song); Long Year, Talking Seattle Grunge Rock Blues (silence; the alternative to alternative)

I haven't any of his stuff beyond one particular album, but I bought that album without knowing who he was and on the basis of really great songs-Todd Snider. The album-Near Truths & Hotel Rooms. He is in the vein of Robert Earl Keen & Jerry Jeff Walker. He writes some funny songs, sad songs, and just beautiful songs. He also tells some funny stories. favorite tracks-Beer Run, The Story of the Ballad of the Devil's Backbone (or something pretty close to that; the story is actually funnier than the song); Long Year, Talking Seattle Grunge Rock Blues (silence; the alternative to alternative)

Just caught him live again last night. I'd recommend Happy To Be Here, East Nashville Skyline, and the latest, The Devil You Know (in this order) if you're interested in his studio stuff. His other stuff is very good, too, but these three stand out.

Buffalo Tom are excellent. I still pull out Let Me Come Over all the time, and the self titled album, too, though less so. Interesting coincidence seeing Buffalo Tom making a new record at the same time as Dino Jr's, given that J mixed their debut (as well as contributing a little guitar). I never did hear Birdbrain or the other stuff - anyone know if its any good?

BT are my favorite band of all time so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I personally think their best album is Big Red Letter Day, the follow-up to Let Me Come Over. I know LMCO gets all of the love and is lauded by most people as being their best album I disagree. There is not a poor song at all on BRLD and every song is filled with incredibile hooks and great lyrics.

Sleepy Eyed and Smitten are both very good as well. I would rank the BT albums like this:

Big Red Letter Day > Let Me Come Over > Sleepy Eyed > Three Easy Pieces (new album) > Smitten > self titled > Bird Brain

• 6 months later...

resurrecting this old thread to probably post old news. I recently joined e-music, and have been exposed to a bunch of stuff i had never heard, or rarely heard:

the weepies

the avett brothers (i want to marry these guys)

the volebeats (i had heard them before, maybe on someone's mix cd, but never in depth)

the scotland yard gospel choir

Second Clem Snide, Eleventh Dream Day (Freakwater is an offshoot, right?) and the Go-Betweens.

Do these have to be current bands?

Vulgar Boatmen

Green on Red

Long Ryders

Silos

Blue Rodeo

If you like Neko Case, how about Jolie Holland?

I caught Ekoostik Hookah last night for the first time in a long time. These guys are amazing. Yes, it's "jam band" material but they're very innovative. I like their style. They can turn on a dime in the middle of a tune.

Oakley Hall - ranging from almost pure country to straight out rock stuff.

Grant Lee Phillips - I know I have mentioned him but I don't know if anybody actually pays attention to anything I post so I'll mention him again.

Tilt - one of the best punk bands of all time.

Some nice picks here that I have heard and many that I've heard of, but need to go hear, and several more that I've not heard of that intrigue me. Nice thread.

I'll add my 2

Tilt - one of the best punk bands of all time.

Saw these guys (and gal) in concert in Tampa back in 1993 or 94. Great show by a great band. They gave me a hard time for buying a Play Cell cassette from them instead of vinyl. I also bought a t-shirt from them. "Crying Jag" is still one of my favorite punk song ever. I still love a lot of those old Lookout! bands from the late 80sarly 90s, especially Crimpshrine. That stuff has aged well in my opinion.

Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - The only comedy music that I can listen to over and over. They were the house band on the BBC show that later evolved into Monty Python's Flying Circus, if that tells you anything. (Oh, and if you've seen the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour movie, they're the band perfoming at the end of the film.)

They're pretty well known in the UK - perhaps mainly for I'm The Urban Spaceman, and obviously their association with Monty Python and The Beatles. People should also know that Death Cab For Cutie are named after a Bonzo Dog Band song (the one you mentioned from Magical Mystery Tour in fact!)

My personal favourite of theirs is Look Out, There's A Monster Coming oh and Keynsham. Both of which, I've just found are on Youtube! Very good stuff -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLdA4zKp-00 (if you're offended by white people blacking themselves up, and wearing a deluxe mersey beat wig a size too big, then don't watch this one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z39eriQc7dc

crikey there's loads of bonzo dog stuff on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omc9lkSjYjc...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNnfQZKoYG8...feature=related

and my favourite - Neil Innes and George Harrison on Rutland Weekend Television (not a real channel, by the way): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIjlUMV6Is

They're pretty well known in the UK - perhaps mainly for I'm The Urban Spaceman, and obviously their association with Monty Python and The Beatles. People should also know that Death Cab For Cutie are named after a Bonzo Dog Band song (the one you mentioned from Magical Mystery Tour in fact!)

My personal favourite of theirs is Look Out, There's A Monster Coming oh and Keynsham. Both of which, I've just found are on Youtube! Very good stuff -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLdA4zKp-00 (if you're offended by white people blacking themselves up, and wearing a deluxe mersey beat wig a size too big, then don't watch this one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z39eriQc7dc

crikey there's loads of bonzo dog stuff on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omc9lkSjYjc...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNnfQZKoYG8...feature=related

and my favourite - Neil Innes and George Harrison on Rutland Weekend Television (not a real channel, by the way): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIjlUMV6Is

I didn't consider the UK contingency, of course. (Sorry.)

Which reminds me that there's another band that UK posters will know, but US folk probably won't:

The Move - they later morphed into ELO, but the early stuff (before Jeff Lynne joined the band) is still my favorite. And their leader in those days, Roy Wood released several solo albums that are the epitome of the sublime within the ridiculous. Love that man.

You UK folks, of course, know all that stuff, but this is for the benefit of the US folks who don't.

EDIT: And you and I pretty much share the same favorite Bonzo moments, joss. But I gotta add "The Big Shot"!

The Move playing Fire Brigade on Top Of The Pops is one of my favourite music moments. There's a show called Top Of The Pops 2 (or there was, anyway) which used to show old clips and seeing Roy Wood looking like a Cavalier from the neck up, but wearing Medieval clothes, whilst singing a 1960s song was one of the weirder moments that always stuck in my mind. Blackberry Way and Flowers In The Rain were big hits too. Another weird tv moment I was too young to watch the first time round, but saw at some point, and thought was odd was Steeleye Span on the kids tv show Crackerjack singing

Not a great song, but if kids shows had music acts anywhere near as good as this on today, the world would be a better place.