Name drop bands you like that

I'll have to check that out. I remember him from King Missile but was completely unaware of his own material.

One of the coolest things I ever caught was King Missile in a tiny bar near VT college in the mid-80s and they encored with "Tuesday's Gone, " (Skynyrd) with John Hall singing while wearing a gas mask.

Listening to Flan right now, which is my favorite.

It is certainly not for everybody. But, if you're a King Missle fan, you may like Dogbowl.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I have another one:

Caesaria Evora - the diva of Cabo Verde, an island off the west coast of Africa. All Portugese-language stuff, with a Carribean and African flavor. She can sing the phone book and I would melt.

• 3 weeks later...

Bobby Fuller, anyone?

All of you know his one big hit ("I Fought the Law" -- the original version), but I have a "Best Of" and it's all pretty wonderful and in that same vein.

The Cash Brothers...Canadian gems, Peter Cash was also in a band called the Skydiggers, and his brother Andrew has some solo stuff out. Fans of AM and the Being There album should appreciate these guys. I had a chance to meet them after a show a couple of years ago and they were really friendly and we chatted for a bit.

i love glen phillips

hamell on trial

hot chip

Glen Phillips is one of the monst underated songwritters of our time! Seen him Solo and with Toad many times. Besides being a great musican/songwritter I think he is one of the nicest people I met in showbusiness. :thumbup

Hammel on Trial is one crazy musician too. He does alot for just a bald guy and a guitar His quotes are histerical too. I saw hime once and I kid you not he said...

" I have a mailing list you can sign up for over there...you are probably saying to yourself why would I let a sweaty bald motherf*cker have my email address?"

Anyhoo :pirate

Fiveway Friday.. Kind of a college rock/indie band from South Carolina. They had moderate success in the late 90's when one of their songs was in a Dawson's Creek episode. One of their former members is actually in the band that I am in. Good, simple, happy, rock tunes.

Treble Patrol. My friend's high school all-Caucasian rap group from 1993 all done througha singalodeon. Recently uncovered are bootleg tapes that have been transferred to cd. I never had that raunchy of a vocab in high school. They even did a rap over a Dr. Mario gameboy track. Hilarious songs about making sandwiches, fruity pebbles, and choosing a briefcase. Not that it really matters for this topic, but I thought I'd share.

• 2 years later...

[

Soundtrack of Our Lives

'Instant Repeater '99' - what a song!

Love Soundtrack! Seeing them live a week from today. Proabably seen them live 10 times! Behind the Music and Origins Volume 1 are on constant rotation for me and I can't get the song Flipside off the new album out of my head! :cheers

Pardon me if I repeat myself here (or anyone else), but this is a long-ass thread, and I just skimmed over the whole thing before posting. So, Let's see if I can do this again:

Barry Adamson

Former bass player for The Bad Seeds and Magazine. A big proponent of the "soundtrack without a film" approach to music. Some really great albums, including Oedipus Schmoedipus and As Above, So Below. Reminds me a bit of Ennio Marcone at times (of course) and Nick Cave at others.

Happy Ashtray

My friend, John Swamy, sounds like a cross between Yo La Tengo, Beck, and Guided By Voices. I'm not just a friend, though, I am a genuine fan. www.happyashtray.com

Jim Ford

"He was Sly Stone's best friend and Nick Lowe's biggest influence." Do you really need to know much more than that?

Brinsley Schwarz

Nick Lowe's first big band. They did the original versions of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding?" and "Cruel To Be Kind" (which they only did live). Just a flat-out amazing "pub rock" band.

Tenpole Tudor

Speaking of pub rock... These guys kinda bridge the gap between that and punk rock. Just one major hook after another, which ain't bad for a band fronted by a guy who can't sing. You may have heard "Wunderbar" or "Throwing My Baby Our With the Bathwater" at some point. And, again, those of you from the UK have a much better chance at knowing these guys than us over here in the US.

Peter Laughner

Founding member of The Dead Boys and Pere Ubu. But it's his bedroom recordings that are the only recorded document of him that have (barely) survived -- Take the Guitar Player For a Ride. If that phrase sounds familiar, it's because Wilco appropriated it for use on a song from Being There. That collection is an amazing collection that sounds as much like a suicide note as anything else ever recorded. Depressing, yes. But also moving as hell and a great bunch of songs.

Brinsley Schwarz

Nick Lowe's first big band. They did the original versions of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding?" and "Cruel To Be Kind" (which they only did live). Just a flat-out amazing "pub rock" band.

nice!

i picked up a brinsley schwarz record in a cut-out bin at the record store i worked at in like 1979 and dug it & started exploring all that pub rock stuff -- i still think "Dancing the Night Away" by the Motors (who i think shared a couple members with Brinsley Schwartz) is one of the greatest unknown songs ever

East River Pipe

Jim Bryson