Live versus recorded versions of Wilco songs

I think there's lots of agreement that many of the Wilco songs we love dearly are just a whole lot better when performed live. Think of Spiders or ALTWYS.

So I guess my question to the board is this: are there any songs that don't "work" as well for you when played live so you prefer listening to the original recorded version?

For me, it's Jesus, etc. The album version has so many layers and is so intricate, it always comes across as a little flat when played live. When thumbing through my iPod, I generally go to the record version first.

I don't believe You Are My Face and Hate It Here have hit their strides yet, but they've only been played live full band on the European leg so far. The AOL sessions version of You Are My Face is easily the best I have heard though. All the songs they play live work because they usually shun the ones that don't.

For me, it's Jesus, etc. The album version has so many layers and is so intricate, it always comes across as a little flat when played live. When thumbing through my iPod, I generally go to the record version first.

That's a good call. Of course, it's pretty easy to say that of a lot of YHF songs since there really were so many overdubs. Heavy metal drummer is one that I find pretty "flat" live, generally speaking.

I think there's lots of agreement that many of the Wilco songs we love dearly are just a whole lot better when performed live. Think of Spiders or ALTWYS.

So I guess my question to the board is this: are there any songs that don't "work" as well for you when played live so you prefer listening to the original recorded version?

I disagree about Jesus, Etc. if you listen to the KT version closely, I think you'll find it to actually be really layered and have a lot of subtelly beautiful moments for a live performance. Nels on the lap steel makes this version as good if not better than the studio version. Plus, I love live performances of this song where Jeff has the audience sing the "our love" part.

The only song that loses any value in the live setting for me is "I'm The Man Who Loves You." The tempo gets all sped up and its way too mechanical and electric in a live setting. Whereas on the record it has a nice mid-tempo pace and it feels very laid back all around, especially with the acoustic guitar.

there was just a thread like this, and the general rule of thumb is: anything off ghost is worse live, anything off YHF or Summerteeth is better live. ;)

I disagree. Most tunes sound better to me live than on an album. Spiders, Handshake Drugs, Muzzle of Bees, and I'm a Wheel in particular off of AGIB.

There's something about having the "moment" in a live setting and expecting/experiencing a variance (no matter how slight) in a tune that makes going to a show rewarding to me. I like having the album versions set in my head and then experiencing the differences in how it's played live. I'd take a live version of almost all tunes over a studio version just about every time.

ed. I think I misread the initial query, though. There are some tunes that come off different live (as I'd hope they would) than on the album. I wouldn't necessarily call them "flat" though, I guess. Just varied.

there was just a thread like this, and the general rule of thumb is: anything off ghost is worse live, anything off YHF or Summerteeth is better live. ;)

I will also have to disagree with this, as i much prefer the studio versions of reservations, war on war, and jesus etc.

see, i can't tell if this is sarcasm.

it better be...

The only song that loses any value in the live setting for me is "I'm The Man Who Loves You." The tempo gets all sped up and its way too mechanical and electric in a live setting. Whereas on the record it has a nice mid-tempo pace and it feels very laid back all around, especially with the acoustic guitar.

Thank you.

This couldn't be anymore wrong.

see, i can't tell if this is sarcasm.

it better be...

1. actually you cant be wrong, its fucking music. i mean, i guess you could say that if you like boring guitar solos, drowsy noise, annoying, uninspired guitar work and lyrics. I.E, the majority of Ghost.

2. no its not sarcasm. every single track off YHF or Summerteeth has much more depth and feel, therefore..its better..studio versions and live.

god i hate the fact that people worship ghost as innovative and experimental when its a joke compared to theyre other work.

1. actually you cant be wrong, its fucking music.

You're good right there. I like A Ghost is Born a lot, though it's not my favorite Wilco album--I think the songs stand up very well live and on record.

I think Wilco puts on a really spectacular live show, and none of their songs are too "flat" to me in a live setting--generally speaking I prefer studio versions of stuff from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, just because that has so much depth as it is. Live those songs are good, they just feel better together as a holistic part of an album. But like I said, nothing in the Wilco catalog that I've heard live hasn't worked.

I agree that the KT version of Jesus, etc. has alot of layers. Just not the ones (mainly the strings) that

are in the studio version which make the song for me. Maybe flat is the wrong word.

It's one of my all-time favorite Wilco songs, and I would be miserable if they didn't play it live; I guess like someone was saying about IATTBYH, it's pretty much impossible to create some of the textures found in the studio version during a live show. I have some versions where they brought a strings player, but it's still not as good.

In thinking more about this since I first posted, Theologians is another song where I don't think the live version

is an improvement.

1. actually you cant be wrong, its fucking music.

No. Richard Marx, Phil Collins, and Tone Loc are fucking music artists.

Seriously though, slow down. You are going to have a grabber one day.

Here are some songs that I prefer the studio version vs. live:

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Wishful Thinking

Company In My Back

The Late Greats (I use to like it better live, but now I appreciate the studio version better)

I reserve judgment on the Sky Blue Sky tracks until they have been played more in a live setting.