Down With Wilco is one of my all time favorite albums. It's no Doolittle or London Calling but it's chock full of catchy tunes and witty lyrics and Jeff sings The Family Gardener. The LP even has some bonus tracks. Don't spend another second of your life without it.

Down With Wilco is one of my all time favorite albums. It's no Doolittle or London Calling but it's chock full of catchy tunes and witty lyrics and Jeff sings The Family Gardener. The LP even has some bonus tracks. Don't spend another second of your life without it.

:wub

There is also a song he sings a little part of. Can't remember the name right off hand. 'tis good!

The first time I saw Wilco live The Minus 5 opened. I hated them with a passion and since then haven't yet been able to convince myself that I should give them another chance. I found them annoying, especially the lead singer guy. I was also severely distracted by their keyboard player - I spent most of my time trying to figure out whether or not he's the guy from the original Alexander Hamilton "got milk?" ad. Is he?

Down With Wilco is one of my all time favorite albums.

I figured I'd take some heat for this. I'm not saying it's a "great" album, just that it's one of my favorites. Other Just-Strike-A-Chord-With-Me discs include Plastic Letters by Blondie and Crown of Creation by Jefferson Airplane. Not necessarily their best, but still my favorites.

Good Stuff!

The Family Gardener, The Old Plantation

The Way You Won > I'm Not Bitter.

Dear Employer (is it an anthem yet?)

Good Music!

This disc can get stuck playing in the car

for days on end.

Get it!

I really like the album, but I must admit I saw the "lead singer guy" Scott McCaughey open for Tweedy on his last solo tour (in Dallas) and he was pretty bad. He's the kind of guy who needs to play in a band, not solo. He played a lot of songs alone with an electric guitar. It wreaked a little too much of "college roommate got a new electric guitar and spent all night playing it in the living room" for me. Most of the audience seemed to agree.

But I really do like that album. I don't know if I'd really be interested in any other Minus 5 stuff or not, but down with Wilco is worth owning. And, as mentioned above, it is likely to get stuck in your car's CD player for days, if not weeks.

i had the same sort of issue w/ this album.. bought it for the 'wilco' aspect, was frightened by scott, and put it on the shelf. revisited it recently and once i really started to listen, i could not stop. just one amazing song after another, and once i accepted that it wasn't a 'wilco record' (ie: jeff on lead vocals), it became one of my favorite albums of recent rediscovery.

"the gun album", the minus 5's self-titled release from last year, is also phenomenal, possibly better than 'down w. wilco'.

Another interesting thing about this album is that it was recorded so soon after YHF, and it has a sort of half YHF/ half Summerteeth vibe to it. It's like Summerteeth, except sloppy, and with a different singer.

I never really liked the Minus 5 before this record, but this particular one is awesome. Even though Scott M. wrote all the songs, there is definitely a Tweedy influence on the writing, and I believe Wilco (and particularly Tweedy & John Stirrat) played a large role in the arrangements.

--nt--

It's a good record with several catchy tunes. Oddly, it was the first "Wilco" record I bought--I got it because I liked R.E.M. and the Minus 5 is a Ken Stringfellow/Peter Buck side project. I got into Wilco after they opened for R.E.M. on their 2003 tour.

If you like Down With Wilco, I would also recommend the Minus 5's latest, self-titled, album (aka the "Gun Album"). Good stuff in there too.

Down with Wilco is the best random purchase I ever bought!! I found it in a record store, browsing the vinyl with no intention of buying, had absolutely no CLUE what it was, and I couldn't imagine life or my vinyl collection without it! I absolutely love it. Scott is the king of poprock to me. He's totally in love with Jeff and I totally dig that!! There are some really fantastic songs on this album... I would tell you the "good" ones but honestly I can't leave any of them out. Scott's lyrics + Wilco's music = WOW. Scott can be pretty out there and the vocals take some getting used to...

"With The Minus 5, I

Magnet:What were the Down With Wilco (2003) sessions like? How do you think the record turned out?

Scott:We started recording it on Sept. 10, 2001, so obviously the sessions got a little tainted the next day. It was really fucked up, but somehow we managed to produce some good music.

Magnet:So you ended up working on 9/11?

Scott:Yeah. We weren

I never really liked the Minus 5 before this record, but this particular one is awesome. Even though Scott M. wrote all the songs, there is definitely a Tweedy influence on the writing, and I believe Wilco (and particularly Tweedy & John Stirrat) played a large role in the arrangements.

--nt--

Tweedy wrote The Family Gardener.