I wonder how Wilco would sound if their next record had no guitars...

The band currently has three good-to-virtuoso guitarists, making some splendiferous sounds together. So...... your scenario seems a bit far fetched.

I agree with Sarchi, although I'm still clinging to my somewhat bizarre theory that the next album may be instrumental (or at least feature several of them). That said, to hear just what you're after, the version of Hummingbird on the Wilco Book CD should suffice (and is excellent, by the way).

Now that's an interesting scenario, badger. Tweedy always has so much to say in his lyrics, but I think most musicians would agree that accomplishing that with just instruments is maybe a "higher plateau" to aim for. (e.g. Coltrane, Beethoven..)

It's gotta be really inspired though.

I just think that Jeff's very comfortable with the current line-up and perhaps wants attention to focus a little bit more on the band as a whole. The musicians are eminently capable of producing innovative instrumental music and Jeff has said several times that he aspires to release more instrumentals (and has done with Loose Fur etc). If an instrumental album did emerge (and it is a slightly strange idea), marketing constraints would probably dictate that it didn't interrupt significantly the release of more conventional band output, ie an "interim" album. It would certainly be a way for Wilco to continue to produce the unexpected! Getting back to the original point, electronica could feature as part of such an album and I'm sure that all 3 guitarists would happily make sounds that don't sound like guitars!

Robert Plant tried this with his Shaken & Stirred album in 1985. Its an embarrassment to his solo career :lol

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that (thankfully!). Didn't Neil Young come up with a similarly grim electronic experiment in the 80s??

I just want a Bigger sound on the next one.

I agree whole heartedly.

I'm thinking that this 6 man lineup has huge potential for more sounds, more textures and more layers. Nels can create create textural sounds with his guitars and all his effects, Mike can do a ton with those keyboards and synths.

I'd just to see something more along those lines. I love SBS, but I would like a change of direction with the next album, which I'm sure we will see, like we always do.

whats wrong with artists trying things that are new?

radiohead tried to get our of the boring britpop guitar music and they did quite well with their ideas.

i think wilco are creative enough, set with limitations, to succeed.

they have nels, a guy who can do anything!

It sounds like something that would not be in my record collection.

I'd love to hear a completely stripped down album. Mostly acoustic with banjo's, piano, mandolins, all sorts of weird nels and pat instruments and glenn playing some crazy perc. Sort of folk/honky tonk sounding.

I don't think they've even scratced the surface of what they can do with their current instrumentation, so I'd be surprised if they abandoned the guitars.

I'd prefer to see Glen anandon the drumset and just play percussion. Not to take anything away from his excellent drumming, I just think that'd be an experiment that I'd enjoy hearing more than a no guitar experiment.

The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table is a 1975 progressive rock concept album by Rick Wakeman of Yes fame. The album tells the legend of King Arthur. The tour in support of the album was a theatrical performance on ice, an expensive project which caused Wakeman to go bankrupt