Report from D-Man and Crow's night out

I picked D-man up from football practice at 5:00. He was talking a mile a minute (sure sign he was excited). I was excited too, but this ain't my first rodeo. I've been going to shows for well over 30 years. But, this would be my first Wilco show and the first time in a LONG time where I was going to a mid-sized venue with General Admission. With my claustrophobia...well, let's just say I was feeling edgy.

He showered, got ready and told me he was ready to go...at 5:30! I figured we'd go get something to eat and check out the scene around the Palladium.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the area, The Palladium is basically where Gilley's was...hell, Gilley's sign is still there. Gilley's didn't last long down there after being transplanted from Pasadena. And it is in an area that is 'regentrifying': meaning that there are loft condos and mini-highrises next to burnt out warehouses and 'shake joints'. Used to be you could see people shooting up in the alleys in this part of town. Progress ain't always a bad thing.

D-man pulled SBS out of the cd library and wanted to listen to it on the way to Downtown Big D. We ate at the Boston Market by the house and pulled out onto I-20 before 6:00. Listened to our favorite Sports/Guy talk radio station The Ticket and SBS on the way in. Friday traffic is always fun, but we were heading into town, so it was a nice quick ride. We pulled up to the first Palladium general parking lot at about 6:30.

Getting out of the truck, I looked over the crowd. Definitely a mix of ages and lifestyles. There was the girl in her white sun dress and doc marten boots and her boyfriend dressed in black jeans, boots, tshirt and a cross around his neck. Emo? Scene? As a man with a 17-year old daughter and D-man, I am roughly familiar with these 'styles'. The older man (who appeared to be older than me...YAY) dressed in blue polo and Khakis with his wife dressed in a tan short suit looked more suited for a night out at the movies. Yeah...this is a crowd that we wouldn't stick out in.

When we got there, we stood in the line about 150 back next to the Studio Grill. Nice band playing on the loft (John Tyler I think it was). The girls shilling for business for the Studio Grill gave us (and everybody else) a flyer and encouraged us to go in.

"He's not old enough for the bar"

"18 can go in but no drinking"

"He's NOT OLD ENOUGH for ANY Bar."

I always get a kick out of people thinking he's older. D-man is 13, taller than me and has a voice like Barry White. He's 5'10", long hair and was wearing an AC/DC tour t-shirt. He looks OLD. I tell him it will serve him well when he is in College, but he will hate it when he gets to be my age. I was getting carded up until my late 30's.

We kept the lady in front of us amused with my ruminations on life and D-Man's puppy like excitement.:

"I like this T-shirt. AC/DC is broken up, right?

"No. They are still a band."

"I like Thunderstruck and Highway to Hell. What's the name of the singer who died? Bon Scott? They haven't released anything in a while. Do they tour anymore?"

"Well, when bands get to a certain age and level of prosperity, they don't HAVE to do it anymore. Money kills a lot of creativity. Of course there are the Road Warriors like Dylan."

"Yeah, he's been doing it for 40 years."

"Almost 50. But I was talking about his touring...he's been on the road on what he calls the NEVER ENDING TOUR."

We watched some folks get dropped off cursbide (right in front of us) by taxi cab and hotel courtesy SUV's (that's definitely the way to go if you are coming from out of town or plan on getting drunk). I remember one of you said you were staying at Adam's Mark and going to take a ride in...

I told him to look for someone who looked like a poongoogler ( :P should have tried to meet you guys, but on top of the claustorphobia, I have a nice little Social Anxiety Disorder). I watched the crowd to see if my buddy Dancin' Joe was around. Dancin' Joe is a friend from Sportsday and the largest personality I have ever met. Large man with a joie de vie unlike anybody I have ever known. A stone Wilco fan. He scored a copy of YHF before it was streamed on the internet and hooked me up with a copy in early August of 2001 (it was mistitled Yankee Foxtrot Hotel and was rounded out with some live stuff). I was hoping to hook up with him and his lovely bride. No luck.

They announced that people with blue tickets would be let in early. Shit...just my luck. I ordered the tickets three weeks ago. I would have paid extra for a 'blue ticket'.

The opened up the doors somewhere around 7:15 and we proceeded to make the march to the doors. Aforementioned girl in the white sundress and Docs had to take her camera back to her car. Bad planning...should have given the camera for her boyfriend to carry in...they only searched bags...no wanding or emptying of pockets. Besides, I thought Wilco allowed picutres and recording. Must have been the venue's call.

Got inside and bought D-man and myself a couple t-shirts. By the way, what's with the skull on some of the t-shirts? D-man got a kick out of those: "Yeah, they've come a long way. From Alt Country to Death Metal."

I saw Dallas radio icon Redbeard. He is a fixture in the Dallas FM radio market. He did afternoon drive at THE #1 rock station until a format change (by the way...Dallas music radio generally sucks). He is now on the new LONE STAR 92.5. Intersting Station...plays Texana, Alt Country, Roots and Classic Rock. He looks like a reduced version of Billy Gibbons. Small man with long beard. The beard isn't grey anymore...I told D-man to look over and explained who he was.

The Palladium is a pretty nice venue: three Bars, a raised rail for a view a little above the floor. We went to the bar and got a couple of waters ($6.00 for water...nice) and I scoped out where we would stake out a spot.

The crowd at the front of the stage was not too bad at this point...but I didn't want to have an anxiety attack when it got really thick up there. We checked out the rails at the side of the stage...definite possibilty. Good sight lines to the stage, but we came to watch Nels shred and Jeff sing, so out in the floor was where we needed to be.

We ended up at a pillar at stage right with a straight view at Nels and Jeff. There was a big guy next to us who had the same idea. He was there for Nels. He was a big man...I figured he and D-man could keep the crowds away from me.

Claustrophobia isn't fun. It has really impaired my desire to do things like last night. I don't like to explain why I don't want to go to crowded places or get on crowded elevators, so I just don't do those things. I am surprised at how much of my attention is commands: "Is there anybody behind me? Will this pillar keep this side open a bit...?" It really sucks. It's not agoraphobia, I don't mind being around people, I just can't be confined , pushed or crowded. A show with reserved seating would have been no problem whatsoever.

The crowd kept filtering in...nice sized crowd considering that there were a lot of good shows in town Friday: The National and St. Vincent at the Granada; James McMurtry at the Aardvark in Ft. Worth, the Indigo Girls at the Majestic. D-man and I watched the people and listened to the PA music.

"Who's that?"

"The Hollies...Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress"

"That's one of the songs I was wanting to ask you about. They played that in the LONGEST YARD remake. You know, in the obligatory video montage scene."

...Have I ever mentioned that D-man is a pretty smart 13 year old? "Obligatory Video Montage?"

Interesting songs on the PA...The Rapper by the Jaggerz, Little Willy by Sweet, Get Back by the Beatles.

"Who's that? I know I should know it"

"The Beatles...Get Back. Dude..."

We watched as a girl in a Straw Cowboy hat dressed in a designer shorts suit and Neiman Marcus Cowboy boots and her boyfriend in a too small straw pork pie hit pushed their way through the crowd. And of course, there were the obligatory Mid-20's types in button downs, shorts and loafers with no socks.

...I guess I have become a bit of a snob.

"I thought this was the post-irony generation"

"Dad...what do you mean 'post ironic'?"

"Probably just goofy SMU kids and the cocaine and boob job set"

Dallas is really a flavor of the month, band wagon jumping, next big thing town. You know something has hit the big time when the cocaine and boob job set starts making appearances.

7:30...

7:45...

8:00...

It's getting a little close but I have the pillar to keep people off of the top of me.

"I expect Dr. Dog to hit the stage at 8:30. Wilco to hit the stage around 9:45 and play until around midnight"

Bingo...Dr. Dog hits the stage between 8:30 and 8:45. I remember the old days, where your rock performers dressed in glittery clothes, or at least clothes better than you did. In the old days, we wanted our performers to be apart from us.

Those days are LONG gone for Rock bands that are worth anything.

Dr. Dog looked like street people. And yeah...they jumped around a bit and three of them wore sunglasses...stocking hat on the bass player (how retro) and a pork pie hat on one of the guitar players. But they didn't need the schtick. These guys were pretty good. Good Guitar players...Bassist with nice vocals...good, tight three part harmonies. Playing Epiphone Sheratons or Gibson ES 335s. A confident band. We weren't familiar with anything they played, but in our distinctly Crow and D-man fashion, we agreed they definitely didn't suck. I'd check them out again...may but a CD if I ever think about it or come across it (and YES, I do still BUY music). They have fans...there was this 20ish girl next to us doing the jam band/grateful dead stoned hippy chick dance during their set. Kinda got annoying after the first 30 minutes or so. She and her boyfriend either moved or left after their set.

People crowded in on D-man and he gave ground. After the set, a very nice girl/lady told him to stand his ground.

"You've been here a while...that spot is yours. You deserve that spot.'

When her boyfriend/husband came back from the bathroom or getting a beer, she told him not to stand in front of D-man. Cool. Nice. Understanding the special nature of a first show. Thanks whoever you are.

Dr. Dog's set ended and I pointed out to D-man the difference between being the opening act and the headliner: Dr. Dog broke down their own gear (i.e. NO ROADIES).

Things start pointing toward the 'big boys' hitting the stage: Guitar techs check out tunings and set up the guitars, Drum tech check out the skins.

Another sign of being a headliner...LOTS of guitars in the road cases. LOTS.

One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb these days and really bothered D-man was the smoking. Sweet fancy Moses, you'd think that these days people would have common sense if not courtesy. Interestingly when the smell of the oxidizing friendly herb hit the air, I noted it was an old, bald fat guy firing it up. Oldsters...we never change. And so anachornistic. You can't go to a concert and enjoy the vibe with smoking a doobie? How 1970's.

The band hits the stage to the excitement of a crowd anticipating a great night.

Wilco may not be well known, but their fans are passionate and appreciative. And with good reason.

"Shake it off" --- A good opener. Slow, sly opening chords...Nels slamming away at his guitar and the band is as tight as (well, I can't think of a family appropriate metaphor here...but they were tight)

Nels Shreds. Jeff sings. Band cooks. Glen Wails away at his new drum kit. Mike is all grins and hardly moves from his keys. Pat alternating between delivering very solid backing vocals, maracas, keys, guitar and rock star poses.

I know that is stating the obvious, but, Nels is really good. REALLY GOOD. Heavy, melodic, more than technically proficient, passionate, intuitive...the guy is an absolute guitar ninja and I would bet that quite a few up front were there for Nels. Lots of shouts and fists raised as he plays his insane runs and pounds away at his axe. His guitar fills and textures really enhance the new songs and add nuance and color to the older songs. Plus he knows how to be a team player too. He smiles as Jeff takes the lead and visibly enjoys the interplay with this band. A very nice addition to the band and I hope he is in for the long haul. At times I think I sense tension, but that notion is defeated by shared grins shared between the band that continually pop up.

These guys are there to do a job...but damnit, they're gonna have fun doing it.

"Shot in the arm" --- Had us all singing along. "Maybe all i Need is a shot in the arm. Something in my veins BLOODIER THAN BLOOD". Damn

I've always thought the SUMMERTEETH songs work REALLY well live. The contrast between dark lyrics and upbeat music don't seem quite as jarring as the sometimes do on ghe recorded versions.

"Side with the seeds" --- This is Jeff Tweedy soulman at his finest. Nice little interplay between Jeff and the crowd. This is the reason I hope that Wilco will never hit the mega sheds and Arenas as the norm. This band is intimate with its audience and you can feel the affection that these guys have for each other and for us.

D-man is in seventh heaven. I am digging the music and digging the fact that he is having such a great time.

"You are my face" --- Superb harmonies between Jeff and John.

John's bass playing is flawless and Wilco would not be Wilco without his wonderful backing vocals. He and Jeff are Wilco. The others come and go. Jeff has played with John longer than he played with Jay Farrar. I think there is a real bond there.

"I am Trying to Break Your Heart" --- Crowd sings along and Glenn is drumming up a storm...Sweating like all get out and pounding the drums like they owed him money. Rock Gods they are in the old school fashion.

"Pot kettle black" --- One of my favorites from YHF. Nice use of noise.

"Handshake drugs" --- Jeff with the atypical frontman Show banter. Crowd singing to this one again. Cool song with a really nice bass line. As Pat's great guitar fills got lost in the mix. I see the band tensing a little...John Looking over at Pat and Pat checking his guitar pot levels and looking at the sound board. Band skips not one beat. Nels once again shines and Jeff straps on the SG at the end to add to the noise. D-man and I LOVE this song. By the way, just what exactly are 'handshake drugs'?

"Impossible Germany" --- Have I mentioned how tight this band is? The crowd always seems to collectively catch it breath right before Nels starts his bombing runs...you can feel the anticipation. One wants to marvel at Nels guitar work, but when it is all said and done it's THE SONG. Everything is done in service of the SONG. This version of Wilco works better that anybody would have a right to expect. Folksy Rock band joined by Fusion Guitar Ninja and produce sublime works of power pop/rock...who'da thunk.

"Just that simple" --- My jaw hit the floor at the first chords. Wondered what was up here as John strapped on the Acoustic and Jeff grabbed the Jazz bass. I was shocked and was yelling out "OLD SCHOOL!" I don't follow setlists from prior shows, but this one will surely be the talk of the boards. Jeff gives a shout out to John's dad. You guys ought to pay to have John's family follow the tour around...it's definitely a treat to have this one in the mix. I know Autumn Defense is John's outlet for his own compositions, but I would really be interested in what a Jeff/John collaboration would lead to compositionally.

"Misunderstood "--- We all sang and screamed along to Misunderstood...the oddest moment in rock music..."I'd like to thank you all for nothing (x40) at all". He's telling us to fuck off and we love it! The one line that always moves me is 'I know you've got a God shaped hole you're bleeding out your heart full of soul". I scream it out at the top of my lungs. Maybe hits home a little bit.

"Jesus, etc." --- is there an odder crowd sing along moment...or more heartfelt and moving?

"Too far apart" --- ANOTHER ONE FROM AM? Day-um. I was taken aback at first. Too Far Apart? You gotta be shitting me. Nels and Glenn nail the jerky rhythm and the song sounds like it was made for this incarnation of Wilco. Jeff told the crowd we probably didn't know that one. Lots of yells when he asks who knew it. "From AM, the bastard child of the Wilco Catalogue. So true"

"Walken" --- Jeff's falsetto charming the crowd and really nice Piano and Guitar interplay.

"I'm the Man who loves you --- Jeff on that Red SG showing off his chops. This one ratchets the energy up and you can feel things are about to end.

"Poor places/Spiders" --- By the Time "Poor Places/Spiders" came around, D-man was fading...to much excitement, too long a day, 4 hours of standing. Poor Places is really ironic being played in Texas in September at this venue. "When it's hot in the poor places tonight, I'm not going oustide" LOL...maybe just my warped sense of humor. The Krautrock groove of Spiders doesn't quite grind away as much as it does on record: it sound much more organic. live But the noodling by Jeff on this song live is more pointed and structured. I can imagine that Jeff Listened to just a bit of Neu! when he was writing this one (especially Fur Immer).The power chord chorus of Spiders is aleays jarring and euphoric...the dissonance keeps building and the beat grinds harder and groovier then BOOM...The Clash meets Cheap Trick in power chord climax that takes the breath away..the fade at the end with the chorus kicker nailed the ending and made for a perfect show ender.

"Man...that was great"

"Shows not over dude...the show ain't over til the house light come up and the taped music comes over the PA"

The first encore was a golden oldies showcase:

"Redeyed and blue --- "songs we can't afford to play"..."drugs we can't afford not to take". Best Rock Whistle solo since "Dock of the Bay"

"I got you" ---Guitars deluxe and harmonies galore!!! D-man and I still had the energy to pogo on this one. The coda is still one of the most fun musical moments.

"Hesitating beauty" --- Right when you forget these where these guys came from, you get a gem from the Alt country years. Nels finger picking and sharing a grin with Jeff. One of three songs I had to identify for D-man (the others being the AM gems).

Highlight of the evening? Jeff spotting a tired 8 year old in the audience. A night one 8-year old will never forget. Happy birthday sung to him and a Root beer Delivered by Jeff...sceet and genuine. Wilco is family safe. Not to say they are wimprock, but you don't have to worry about profanity in songs or John taking a slug from a bottle of Jack. I guess this band shows that there is a common ground where family men and rock can meet.

"Hate it here" --- Song about domesticty according to Jeff. It takes the somber theme of a breakup and ties in a little domestic humor. He does manage to catch the desperation that follows a breakup and there is no silver lining in the protagonist's cloud.

Interestingly followed by...

"I'm always in love" --- I couldn't hear the classic synth riff, but I didn't miss it. No 'smoke pot' background vocals in the bridge. Not by the numbers at all...a slightly new take that gave new life to this warhorse.

"Outtasite outtamind" --- Guitars deluxe again. Did I mention how TIGHT these guys are? I was really glad to see the love and attention given to the songs from AM and Being There.

Some things NEVER change in Rock and Roll..."Remember...it aint' over till the lights come up and the PA starts playing the canned music."

I sometimes wish bands would play the last number and hit the door to the theater. You know..."ELVIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING". Audiences are getting a little jaded in that they EXPECT two encores.

"Heavy Metal Drummer" --- I saw where KNevitt said the set list had "Box Full of Letters" in this spot. If they had played that D-man would be posting my obituary today. I know a lot of you don't like Drummer, but damnit if it doesn't work live. Glenn and Nels bring a level of musicianship to this band that CANNOT be underestimated.

"Hummingbird" --- Audience singalong and the last 16-bars is a fitting closeout to the guitar slinging for the night

"Goodnight Everybody"

"On and on and on" --- This song gains a lot of poignancy for those of us who have long term relationships and parents passing. Being with my wife for 30 years and having a mother that is in very ill health makes this one hit home.

We left the show with shreded vocal chords and ringing ears...but happy as all get out.

The Circle Remains Unbroken.

Crow, I can't tell you how much it warmed my heart to read this. I am so glad you & the boy had a great time. Not to mention how special that setlist is!

that's really wicked that you managed to share such an amazing experience with your son, especially being claustrophobic. i have an uncle who suffers from schizophrenia and gets really uncomfortable in crowds (i know it's not quite the same as you, but still) and i wish he was well enough to go out and be a part of these experiences. here's to more shows for you and your family in the future! :cheers

thanks for sharing!!

great and beautiful story, i love it, thank you! you put us all there. one of these days i will venture out to my first tweedy or wilco show (yep, claustrophobia here too), and you've given me courage to do it even if i have to go by myself. (don't know anyone around me who knows of wilco, can you believe it?) you're a wonderful writer, by the way; this was a real treat, all of it.

Indeed. Thanks for writing that. Glad to hear you had a good time.

Great read!!! You must have been quite close to where I was. I was wearing my obligatory SF Giants hat. Thanks for sharing. Thats what its all about.

I was wearing the white polo and khaki cargo pants standing next to the large man/child dressed in the wiiloc t shirt and shorts.

Great review, I loved reading it. I wish my dad was that awesome to head to a few shows with me, even at my age.

It's great to see the band playing some older stuff. The last time I saw Wilco live, they played one song from Summerteeth, and absolutely nothing from the previous albums.

I think the term "Handshake Drugs" refers to a drug that is transferred in a relatively public place, where the buyer outstretches his/her hand with the concealed payment within their palm. Likewise, the dealer cups the drugs in his palm, so the deal looks like, to a passerby, an informal greeting between two people, instead of an illegal transfer of drugs.

That's how I've always interpreted it, anyways.