1 beloved album from your collection

I think all of them are pretty good - but may just need this: Stoned Soul Picnic: Best Of

* 1967 - More Than a New Discovery (later reissued as Laura Nyro, 1969, and as The First Songs, 1973)

* 1968 - Eli and the Thirteenth Confession

* 1969 - New York Tendaberry

* 1970 - Christmas and the Beads of Sweat

* 1971 - Gonna Take a Miracle (with Labelle)

* 1976 - Smile

* 1977 - Season of Lights

* 1978 - Nested

* 1984 - Mother's Spiritual

* 1989 - Laura: Live at the Bottom Line

* 1993 - Walk the Dog and Light the Light

* 2000 - Live at Mountain Stage (recorded 1990)

* 2001 - Angel in the Dark (posthumous album recorded 1994-1995)

* 2002 - Live: The Loom's Desire (recorded 1993-1994)

* 2003 - Live in Japan (recorded 1994)

* 2004 - Spread Your Wings and Fly: Live at the Fillmore East May 30, 1971

Last time I was in a flea market that had a nice record room, I found and bought a whole bunch of her records.

Thanks for posting this. I think the first 5 are some of the greatest records ever done. After that it is pretty spotty, but Mother's Spiritual is pretty good. Spread your wings and fly kicks ass since it is just Laura on piano. Some of the other live stuff (I have not heard it all, but some of it) is marred by bands which sound sort of bored. Laura is one of the greats, a songwriter who wrote hit singles for others and knew how to sing and play.

Great stuff. Christmas and the Beads of Sweat is fantastic. It is so great to get to talk about Laura. Sadly she died of ovarian cancer about 10 years ago. But she wrote one of the great songs about dying on her first album (of which there are three different configurations as Aman points out.)

LouieB

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh look Oil Can, they're even in your sig!

How these guys didn't become the biggest band in the world I'll never know

Yeah, they are definitely one of my all-time favorites.

Years ago when I moved to New York they had just gotten back together for the Good Earth and I was able to see them a whole bunch. They were great live.

Sadly, my first listen to Laura Nyro was on the extras of the monterey pop dvd 3 disc................a week ago.

WTF, I've passed her many times before in stacks of lps. Now i probably won't see one for months.

I'm wanting more and you all have been very helpful.

i think I'll start with these three

1968 - Eli and the Thirteenth Confession

1969 - New York Tendaberry

1970 - Christmas and the Beads of Sweat

Thanks for the tips! :thumbup

Is More Than a New Discovery avail in Mono?

Scrounged around for my Lauras but can't find them. Curse of having way too many records.

I did find this old gem:

d4211228jji.jpg

This would have sold well in Europe but isn't well known here. Francis Cabrel has made some really great music.

This is one I enjoy a bunch and actually haven't listened to in ages, though:

The Nields, Gotta Get Over Greta:

c9672375r29.jpg

Wow, there's someone who doesn't ever get enough props, The Nields.

I used to see them for pennies in CT when I lived there. In fact, I once saw the 2 Nields sisters play a gig in a West Hartford health food store called Cheese & Stuff ... I paid about 3 bucks and was about 3 feet away from them.

Those were good days.

Sadly, my first listen to Laura Nyro was on the extras of the monterey pop dvd 3 disc................a week ago.

WTF, I've passed her many times before in stacks of lps. Now i probably won't see one for months.

I'm wanting more and you all have been very helpful.

i think I'll start with these three

1968 - Eli and the Thirteenth Confession

1969 - New York Tendaberry

1970 - Christmas and the Beads of Sweat

Thanks for the tips! :thumbup

Is More Than a New Discovery avail in Mono?

You can't lose with any of those, but first songs has a ton of songs that went on to become hits by others. I don't know that her first album is in mono. It came out at a time when most recording artists were moving away from mono and the production on her Columbia records demands stereo (not sure why anyone wants this in mono.) I have two copies of the original Verve releases. They are slightly different, but will check to see if either is mono. I think not. Certainly the Columbia reissue won't be.

Actually I have a number of Verve Folkways/Forcast LPs that are among my most beloved.

bp_proj4.jpg This being one of my faves...and one of my copies is mono.

LouieB

What can i say, i'm a fan.

It's a personal preference in some cases, maybe this isn't one of them - just curious :)

Well as I have said before...the best way to listen to everything in mono is hit the mono/stereo button on your receiver and then everything is back to mono. Or maybe you have a new fangled receiver that doesn't have one. I suppose the most irritating thing (which I do understand) is simulated stereo. Thats horrible. Either that or just listen to 78s, they are always mono.

But the engineering and arrangements on Laura's Columbia records is amazing.

LouieB

I can't find a picture of the cover, but I've recently fallen in love with Roy Eldridge's 1965 self titled album (at least I think it's 1965 - I can't find any information about it anywhere). It's a shame the band isn't listed anywhere on the album, I'd like to know who's playing on the amazing version of Blue Moon. And I've only heard Chet Baker's version of Sweet Lorraine, but Eldridge's version is so haunting and beautiful - I must have listened to this album about 20 times in the past 2 days. Any jazz fans here that can help me out with credits?

And I've only heard Chet Baker's version of Sweet Lorraine, but Eldridge's version is so haunting and beautiful - I must have listened to this album about 20 times in the past 2 days. Any jazz fans here that can help me out with credits?

Can't help you with credits, but seek out the Nat Cole trio's version of "Sweet Lorraine", what a lilt it has... and Bill Doggett's version packs a punch. Great, great song. I love Baker's version as well.

Just listened to the Okeh, Curtis Mayfield Chicago CD. Great stuff.

Roy Eldridge lived a very long time. He put out many many albums. Would it have been on Verve? I found Sweet Lorraine here on a Mosiac set of the entire Verve sessions. If this is it, the info is further down on the page. Norman Granz reissued stuff like this many times, as it is still reissued to this day by whomever owns the catalogue.

I once got to shake Roy Eldridge's hand. By then he was very elderly and wasn't really playing any more.

LouieB

Just listened to the Okeh, Curtis Mayfield Chicago CD. Great stuff.

Roy Eldridge lived a very long time. He put out many many albums. Would it have been on Verve? I found Sweet Lorraine here on a Mosiac set of the entire Verve sessions. If this is it, the info is further down on the page. Norman Granz reissued stuff like this many times, as it is still reissued to this day by whomever owns the catalogue.

I once got to shake Roy Eldridge's hand. By then he was very elderly and wasn't really playing any more.

LouieB

Thanks, the one I'm wondering about is on Metro. But I don't know anything about record labels, so it could be a reissue or a collection. I think I'll definately have to track down all these Verve sessions though - I just can't seem to get enough of this guy.