1 beloved album from your collection

The Semantics - Powerbill

Will Owsley and Millard Powers share songwriting and lead vocal duties, with Zak Starkey on drums. A hook-drenched power-pop masterpiece.

if you ever find the means to hook me up with a copy of that, i'd forever be grateful. i've been looking for that forever. i'll have to think about the original question.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I've never been able to track those 2 down. I believe they're out-of-print sadly. I'm hoping they get re-released someday.

You can find used copies of Please Panic through Amazon. If you want a burned copy of that and/or the other one, PM me. Might take me a little while but I'll get around to it.

You can find used copies of Please Panic through Amazon. If you want a burned copy of that and/or the other one, PM me. Might take me a little while but I'll get around to it.

Thanks for the kind offer cryptique. I'll check out Amazon first, if no luck there I may take you up on your offer.

41TRQTFYGNL._AA240_.jpg

self titled debut album. great music and a great story

Ha. I smoked a j with him during one of the 2000 Prez debates at his house in Saginaw. A buddy of mine had been recording with him and he asked me if I wanted to hang out with Robert one night. I'd seen RBBS open up for someone else back in 96 and loved the 1st record. so I jumped at the chance. We get to his house and altough blind he was recording the debate between Bush and Gore on tv. He told me he taped it because he wanted to listen to it later before he voted. Anyway we smoked a bit, and he played the piano for awhile and sang some of his at the time newer songs. Good times

Here are some more...

c954407p7y6.jpg

This probably my favorite Smog album. Dark lyrics, excellent arrangements and nice use of the Hurdy-Gurdy (courtesy of Jim O'Rourke who produced the album) and French Horn.

review_id-238.jpg

Plush: Fed. If you've seen High Fidelity, you've seen Liam Hayes (Plush) singing Soaring and Boaring from his first (and equally underrated album) More You Becomes You. Fed is his masterpiece, which he spent years trying to perfect and then released in Japan only in 2002 (he couldn't get an American indie to pick it up, because it cost so much to make). This is a really good album in the vein of early Rundgren, Nilsson, The Beatles and Jon Brion. Also worth checking out is Underfed (Fed is basically impossible to find cheaply in the States, unless of course you google it, find it and download it for free), which came out on Drag City. It's the demos of Fed and stands it's own as a pretty good album.

B000068QZJ.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Laura Nyro: Eli and The Thirteenth Confession. How the hell did I not hear about this album for 21 years? Don't make the same mistake I did. This is amazing.

--Mike

Laura Nyro: Eli and The Thirteenth Confession. How the hell did I not hear about this album for 21 years? Don't make the same mistake I did. This is amazing.

--Mike

Thanks for the reminder. I think I have at least 5 of her LP's in the basement, and I'm ashamed to say I've never listened to any of them. Must. Rectify.

Waiting_for_herb.jpg

well, a good amount of people know about The Pogues, but not so many give Shane-less Pogues a fair shake. i love this album, completely outside of their element, they seem to reach new creative heights. "Tuesday Morning" by Stacy and "Once Upon A Time" by Finer are unheralded classics.

--Mike

Thanks for the reminder. I think I have at least 5 of her LP's in the basement, and I'm ashamed to say I've never listened to any of them. Must. Rectify.

Kids today....

Her first five albums are some of the greatest stuff ever recorded and some of the best songs ever written. Some of her later stuff ain't bad either. I highly recommend the live at the Filmore CD that came out a few years back.

LouieB

Kids today....

Her first five albums are some of the greatest stuff ever recorded and some of the best songs ever written. Some of her later stuff ain't bad either. I highly recommend the live at the Filmore CD that came out a few years back.

LouieB

I picked up this one for my gal after hearing Jenny Lewis talking about in an interview, and we both love it. It's all Oldies covers and Patty Labelle and her sisters sing back up, some powerful singing. One of our favorite, it's saturday and time for a drink records. I'll have to check out some of here original work.

11404028.jpg

Kids today....

LouieB

I'll check those out, Eli is the first record of hers I've heard. Anything with the LouieB stamp of approval is worth looking into. :thumbup

--Mike

I'll check those out, Eli is the first record of hers I've heard. Anything with the LouieB stamp of approval is worth looking into. :thumbup

--Mike

I think all of them are pretty good - but may just need this: Stoned Soul Picnic: Best Of

* 1967 - More Than a New Discovery (later reissued as Laura Nyro, 1969, and as The First Songs, 1973)

* 1968 - Eli and the Thirteenth Confession

* 1969 - New York Tendaberry

* 1970 - Christmas and the Beads of Sweat

* 1971 - Gonna Take a Miracle (with Labelle)

* 1976 - Smile

* 1977 - Season of Lights

* 1978 - Nested

* 1984 - Mother's Spiritual

* 1989 - Laura: Live at the Bottom Line

* 1993 - Walk the Dog and Light the Light

* 2000 - Live at Mountain Stage (recorded 1990)

* 2001 - Angel in the Dark (posthumous album recorded 1994-1995)

* 2002 - Live: The Loom's Desire (recorded 1993-1994)

* 2003 - Live in Japan (recorded 1994)

* 2004 - Spread Your Wings and Fly: Live at the Fillmore East May 30, 1971

Last time I was in a flea market that had a nice record room, I found and bought a whole bunch of her records.