1 beloved album from your collection

Wow, that's so great that you guys got the disc as quick as you did... "Nevertheless I Love You" by Billy Butler & the Enchanters is one of my all-time favorite recordings, just love the way it sounds! And "Funny (Not Much)" by Walter Jackson is just so sublimely beautiful. Hope you guys enjoy that disc 1/3 as much as I do, cause that'll be an awful lot! :)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's so great that you guys got the disc as quick as you did

I love Amazon's "used or new" feature. I've bought a lot of stuff that way, and have also discovered many retailers who I've gone on to buy more stuff from.

"Nevertheless I Love You" by Billy Butler & the Enchanters is one of my all-time favorite recordings, just love the way it sounds! And "Funny (Not Much)" by Walter Jackson is just so sublimely beautiful. Hope you guys enjoy that disc 1/3 as much as I do, cause that'll be an awful lot! :)

The good people at Motown definitely could have learned a thing or two from Mr. Mayfield. What strikes me about these recordings (aside from them just being all-around great) is how fantastic the arrangements are: there aren't many of those cheesy string sections that mar so many of the Motown singles (and the few times they do appear, they're sufficiently down in the mix that they don't dominate). Maybe OKeh didn't have the money to hire the musicians very often, or maybe it was a conscious choice, but the result is that these recordings have aged a lot better than their Motown counterparts.

The stereo mixing isn't the best (way too much separation), but that's forgivable. Thanks for the heads-up on this set, it's great! :thumbup

I'm listening to it right now. :music

I threw it on the old player immediately. EVen with the piles of LPs and CDs I have bought and not listened to, this went to the head of the list.

Wow, that's so great that you guys got the disc as quick as you did... "Nevertheless I Love You" by Billy Butler & the Enchanters is one of my all-time favorite recordings, just love the way it sounds! And "Funny (Not Much)" by Walter Jackson is just so sublimely beautiful. Hope you guys enjoy that disc 1/3 as much as I do, cause that'll be an awful lot! :)

I am sure it will get additional plays. The production of the songs is excellent. If you purchase any of the Numero Group, they will sound amaturish by comparision, because those labels were much less slick. Curtis and company knew what they were doing.

I love Amazon's "used or new" feature. I've bought a lot of stuff that way, and have also discovered many retailers who I've gone on to buy more stuff from.
Me too. I use it way too much. I have found Caiman to be particularly good and cheap. In fact when I thought I had lost a disk in the mail from them, they sent a second at no charge. Two disks did show up (the one took weeks), which I suppose I should return, but may just give to someone else.

I have rarely had any problem with this feature and stuff comes fast and generally in good shape.

As for Roy Eldridge, I would go back a few years to his work with Gene Krupa (I think, it is early and I may not remember correctly) and some of the other big band era material. Little Jazz (his nickname) was a pivotal figure who came after the great traditional players like Louis Armstrong, but pre-dated the great bop and hard bop figures like Dizzy, Fats Navarro, and Clifford Brown (and certainly Miles Davis.) There are gobs of records the guy appeared on. A number like Sweet Lorraine is a standard and could have been recorded by him any number of times to good effect. I would not sweat out the name of the label. Verve (and Clef before it) was one of the mainstream labels of the post WWII era and Roy also appeared on many of the Jazz at the Philarmonic events that were staged by Granz and then put out on those labels. He also appeared on Granz label Pablo into the 70s. I have several of those LPs and they are all excellent too. Like I said, he had a very long and productive career from the 30s until the late 70s.

As far as credits go, I am sure there is a complete discography of Roy's career out there somewhere. Nearly every significant jazz musician has had someone do this kind of research on them. If you live in a big city, visit your local main library. Again these guys turned out sides by the truckload. Someone like Duke Ellington may have cut the same song dozens of times in his career.

LouieB

Or indeed anything by 16 Horsepower.

I've seen them a few times over the years in Denver and in various incarnations. Pretty talented group of musicians and I like the Folk-y aspect of some of their stuff but a lot of it is just a little too moody for me, I think. They definitely had (are they still together?) a unique twist to them.

I certainly think this a good reason NOT to do drugs......back in the day we simply called it "blows". I was never happy about the demise of the Airplane....

speaking of the airplane, after bathing at baxters is pretty good itself, and i havnt heard blows to the empire, but after bathing at baxters has its crazy moments too, and its got jorma and jack, which gives it extra points

jefferson_airplane.jpg

I've seen them a few times over the years in Denver and in various incarnations. Pretty talented group of musicians and I like the Folk-y aspect of some of their stuff but a lot of it is just a little too moody for me, I think. They definitely had (are they still together?) a unique twist to them.

No, not together anymore sadly. David is gone off doing his Woven Hand stuff and I am not sure what the others are doing. It is a little bit moody as you say but you can't be happy all the time.

bp_proj4.jpg This being one of my faves...and one of my copies is mono.

LouieB

Thanks for posting this one Lou. I wore a copy completely out. Excellent stuff, I must get an upgrade of this record.

The Microphones- The Glow, Part 2

The album is like a force of nature...I don't even know how to describe it. It's one of the best breakup albums I've heard; not in the coffee shop sense of the word "breakup" album, but in the sense of the emotional holocaust you go through, the loneliness... at the same time, I can put it on and just be swept up in it's majesty. It's so amazing, I can't even describe it. Lots of noisey elements, but used in contrast with stark acoustic guitar, silence, and pulsing low piano. It's calming, cathartic, theraputic...and just down right good.

Definitely a top 5 record of the decade imo.

Well as I have said before...the best way to listen to everything in mono is hit the mono/stereo button on your receiver and then everything is back to mono. Or maybe you have a new fangled receiver that doesn't have one. I suppose the most irritating thing (which I do understand) is simulated stereo. Thats horrible. Either that or just listen to 78s, they are always mono.

But the engineering and arrangements on Laura's Columbia records is amazing.

LouieB

My old sansui 2000 has one of those buttons, but sometimes mono Lp copies have entirely different mixes than their stereo counterparts. Sounds of Silence, Sgt pepper, Over-Under-Sideways-Down are just a few examples.

B00000DF6N.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Somehow this one always gets left off or overlooked on music site's "greatest albums of the nineties" lists. Yet, in my humble opinion it's right up there with Ok Computer, Loveless, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, Slanted and Enchanted, etc.

--Mike