1 beloved album from your collection

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daivd Crosby- If I could Only Remember My Name

LeRoy Bach bought a copy of that after the instore last week! :thumbup

I have the Surround Sound mix of it. I want to meet the stoner at Rhino who deemed that album worthy of 5.1 and share a bong with him/her. Seriously.

f76887kx8c1.jpg

My pick is Songs: Ohia - The Magnolia Electric Company. I have the first pressing LP, with the inner sleeve customized by Molina, the CD with the demo disc, the poster of the photo from the gatefold. I tell people it is my favorite album EVER and they do not believe me.

Listen to the first song, and then proceed to buy the album ASAP.

LeRoy Bach bought a copy of that after the instore last week! :thumbup

I have the Surround Sound mix of it. I want to meet the stoner at Rhino who deemed that album worthy of 5.1 and share a bong with him/her. Seriously.

Yea I noticed he bought that and Steven Stills II, both on vinyl. Must be filling in his CSNY related works. I also don't believe it was worthy of that kind of reissue, but then again....

LouieB

surf.jpg

The Beach Boys stellar 1971 album 'Surfs Up', it upsets me that no one seems to care about The Beach Boys post-Pet Sounds.

They made some truly awesome music around this time, Holland is great too but Carl really shines on this one

you can now get it as a double CD paired with Sunflower, another underrated record

songs4.jpg

Graham Nash - Songs For Beginners, another great 70s record stolen from my dad

great to see so many people dig the Crosby record, i adore it too

only have it on cd though which is a shame

So are we all in ageement that everyone owns and enjoys the Crosby album?

No wonder your dad let you steal it. Most of the solo Crosby, Nash and Crosby, Nash, Stills, etc., I frankly don't care if I ever hear again. I have nearly all of them on vinyl because they were exceptionally easy to find in junk shops back when everyone's dad was done with them in the 80s. I won't deny they have their charms, I just am not sure what those charms are any more. (honestly not trying to start a fight here....nearly all the Byrds records stand the test of time as do some of the Hollies, Buffalo Springfield, etc.) (I have a soft spot in my heart for Super Session though....)

LouieB

I certainly think this a good reason NOT to do drugs......back in the day we simply called it "blows". I was never happy about the demise of the Airplane....

That album actually won some sort of Sci-Fi award when it came out.

That album actually won some sort of Sci-Fi award when it came out.
Yea, it was spacey enough......sort of a hippie sci-fi vision of the future....then the empire struck back......LouieB
I had never heard of it until last weekend. I saw some guy buying a used copy at a record store.
Yea, see above.....some guy we all know...LouieB
That Cigarette song is certainly getting a ton of deserved recognition.

I heard that too, and I'm happy for Jeremy. But BPS is a special treasure of original folk songs - much like Texas Campfire Tapes was.. before Michele Shocked got a record contract and started making more commercial records.

Plus this is supposed to be about unknown records. :shifty

Jeremy_Fisher_-_Back_Porch_Spirituals.JPG

(I have a soft spot in my heart for Super Session though....)

LouieB

Oh hell yes! The version of Donovan's "Season of the Witch" is a keeper (along w/ "Holy Modal Majesty").

Also- The Live Adventures of Bloomfield & Kooper. :thumbup

No wonder your dad let you steal it. Most of the solo Crosby, Nash and Crosby, Nash, Stills, etc., I frankly don't care if I ever hear again. I have nearly all of them on vinyl because they were exceptionally easy to find in junk shops back when everyone's dad was done with them in the 80s. I won't deny they have their charms, I just am not sure what those charms are any more. (honestly not trying to start a fight here....nearly all the Byrds records stand the test of time as do some of the Hollies, Buffalo Springfield, etc.) (I have a soft spot in my heart for Super Session though....)LouieB

See i'd agree with you for the most part except for Daivd Crosby- If I could Only Rember my Name and forgot to metion this gem earlier

Manasas-Stephen Stills

WHAT A Great album and on record with each side taking on a different style one of my favs.that gram nash disc has some good stuff on it but the orchestration is a but much.

also that supper sessions is great but its really an al kooper record

I believe it's been re-released of late as I've seen it in the library a bunch. How else to explain the re-surgence?
I believe you are correct. Some things should remain out of print.....(just kidding..)

Oh hell yes! The version of Donovan's "Season of the Witch" is a keeper (along w/ "Holy Modal Majesty").

Also- The Live Adventures of Bloomfield & Kooper. :thumbup

Both of these got played to death back in the day. Super Session was one of the first LPs I ever bought and set off my trying to get everything by everyone. Season of the Witch by them kicks ass.

See i'd agree with you for the most part except for Daivd Crosby- If I could Only Rember my Name and forgot to metion this gem earlier

Manasas-Stephen Stills

WHAT A Great album and on record with each side taking on a different style one of my favs.that gram nash disc has some good stuff on it but the orchestration is a but much.

also that supper sessions is great but its really an al kooper record

Yes it is an Al Kooper record. I ended up buying all of his records as a result (to a point.) Manassas I is a great album....

LouieB