The Pre-Thanksgiving Giving-of-Thanks Thread

Posting in the "best Wilco moments 2007" thread reminded me that even if I had nothing but Wilco in my life, I'd have a ton of cool memories and wonderful friends that I've met through VC and at shows. And I'm lucky enough to have some other stuff too, most importantly my friends and family here in the most beautiful city on earth, as well as friends and family in far-flung spots, who make me feel at home in cities and towns all around the world. But that's not all...

So, in no particular order, here's a non-comprehensive list of just a few of the people, places, and things that I'm thankful for this year:

Season 1 of FNL

Uyen's cupcakes

Once

pedicures

Carol Burnett

marching bands

burrito nights (and I'm not even all that crazy about burritos!)

swimming

Howard Fishman

small towns in Mississippi and Alabama that I didn't expect to like as much as I did (also: Graceland!)

Mart and Craig's campfire shows

Lake Tahoe

Harry Potter stuff, in particular reading Book 7 to the kids on our vacation this summer

and finally, these little critters:

364967981_8c674125bd.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm feeling thankful today, so here we go ...

-Finally being able to move out of our soul-sucking redneck jungle neighborhood into our beautiful 1928 brick bungalow in Belleville. I've never lived in a place I've loved this much.

-My delightful husband, eye-rollingly lovely parents, a great set of octogenarian grandparents, a cousin who's the sister I never had, and a really great extended family I actually enjoy.

-This girl. More than anything I'm thankful for this sweet thing, the boundless joy she brings, and the volumes she's taught me about being human:

1796229640_62694f4329.jpg

-My wonderful, awesome friends, especially the moms I hang with every Monday. They make me laugh until I wet myself, comfort me when I cry, tolerate me when I rant, and we have a hell of a good time together. They make this stay-at-home mom business a lot more fun than it's suposed to be.

-John Steinbeck, Eudora Welty, James Baldwin, Truman Capote, Carson McCullers and Harper Lee.

-Yarn hand-dyed by another one of my wonderful friends.

-The crazy generosity I've seen this year. I held a fundraiser for the Breast Cancer 3-Day. My cousin does the 60-mile, 3-day walk every year. I hosted an auction to raise funds, and we were overwhelmed with donated items and bidders. What started out as a plan to raise $500 wound up making nearly $2500. It was an amazing display.

-New friends, new beginnings, new music, fresh coffee, bamboo knitting needles, MacBooks, good tea, flannel sheets, my Basset hound and candy-apple red hair color.

My two, beautiful A-MA-ZING girls...for if it weren't for them I would truly have nothing to be thankful for this year... :wub

LibbyLou.jpg

VicMe.jpg

Oh, AND all the joy that Jeff and friends have brought me this year!!! And e-meeting (and some in real life) all of you crazy, wonderful, incredible people!!! :D

I'd like to give thanks for:

3 healthy, almost-all-grown-up children

My crazy than hell basset pup Delia

My tolerant and lovely wife

The two best parents in the world

Cold IPAs

Music (of course- duh)

All my friends- old and new

My husband :wub

My 9 year old Border Collie who still acts like a puppy, and survived surgery for removal of a (thankfully) benign tumor

My crazy cat, who survived 2 surgeries for hip dysplasia, and takes the stairs 5 at a time and flies through the air (did I mention she's crazy?)

Being healthy (I had pneumonia in 2006 and was sick for over 2 months - 2007 was a good year!)

Moving back to Seattle after a short stint on the East coast

A month in India -- one of my top 10 places to visit checked off the list :)

A safe cross-country road trip (my 7th), this time with husband, dog, cat & 4 guitars in the car - crowded, but the only way to move pets and guitars safely

Seeing Wilco and The Flaming Lips in concert

Great music, films, wine, tea, food, and friends

Overall, a good year, I consider myself lucky :)

Wishing the best for everyone in the upcoming new year!

I wouldn't even know where to begin. As hard as life gets sometimes, the good still outweighs the bad, so much. I'm loving reading your lists! :thumbup

I hope all of those of you that I love are well aware of it....you are precious to me, even if I forget (or am too busy) to say it often enough. So many of you are so dear to me, and I mean that totally, without any oversentimentality. You make my days more beautiful. If you think I might mean you...yes, I do.

What a great community this is. Thanks for starting this thread, Maudie. It's such a good thing to stop & treasure our blessings. :cheekkiss

Now excuse me, I'm trying to do some Thanksgiving pre-cooking, and if I know my smells, that one is "bacon on the verge of burning"! :blink Oh, yum.

I am thankful for my soul mate, my best friend, my boyfriend, my partner, my husband - all in one. :wub

1976006207_550ccd26b1.jpg

I am also thankful for Emily and the many people who have been available to us to help her through some very difficult times. We continue to struggle with a lot of issues surrounding Emily, but I am thankful for her life and hopeful for her future.

1986128987_0012d02101.jpg

I am thankful for my mom who is the picture of grace and beauty, my animals, books, friends, teachers, mentors, my church, my time at Loyola, yarn, baseball, the Metra train, music and much more.

I am thankful for my growth in spirituality, faith in God and the direction it has taken me. The foundations of my thoughts and beliefs have changed in really significant ways over the last few years.

I am thankful for my friends at Loyola. It took me two years in Chicago to find a place where I felt at home, and deeply connected to the community. I am so blessed to be among such vibrant, beautiful people. They are a daily inspiration and continue to bless me in ways I can't even describe.

I am thankful that I don't have cancer and that we are talking babies. :shifty

I am thankful for all of the beautiful people who stand up for what they believe in and challenge power and authority when it is wielded unjustly.

I'm also quite thankful that I got to make so many new friends this year, both off the board and from the board. Some of the people I've met this year are among my favorite people in the world, and that includes those of you on this board.

Fantastic topic, Maudie. A lot of our "thankful fors" match up, too.

I have so much to be thankful for this year. Not that I don't every year, but 2007 has been pretty damn good as years go. I'll just go general and say I'm thankful for my friends :wub and my family and my health and the health of my loved ones, and being able to travel to so many places, and buy my first home, and see so much great music, and having a job that lets me do that stuff and sometimes even subsidizes it.

I hope everyone here has a wonderful holiday season.

I'm so happy to have---

My awesome friends whose big hearts and artistic talents grow my love for them daily.

Wilcoworld...this place, you people, the music, the shows, it all blows my mind.

VS bras and their amazing powers to shape nothing into something.

Librarything...where has it been all my life?!

And of course, I'm so blessed with my lovely partner and our amazing spawn:

1506809834_l-1.jpg

I am thankful for all of the beautiful people who stand up for what they believe in and challenge power and authority when it is wielded unjustly.

I just wanted to second this. If my children learn anything at all from me I hope so much that they take this with them when they get out there in the world. It's never been more important. Bless you Kate for posting this.

Edited post of mine from another forum:

I'm thankful for being able to look into the most beautiful pair of big green puppy eyes on a foggy Saturday morning, which belong to the only person I ever wanted to be with, I ever loved unconditionally & endlessly, who ever loved me back the same way, and who consequently is the only person that has never betrayed me, lied to me, fucked me over.

I'm thankful for my beautiful horrible daughter who challenges me every day and enriches our life with countless things.

I'm thankful for still having my parents who never cease to amaze me, support me, encourage me.

I'm thankful that I got to see 3 completely amazing Wilco shows this spring after a break of almost 2 years, spending time on the road with great people.

Last but not least, I am thankful for all the other great people I had the chance to meet either online or in real life this year, they know who they are.

And finally last I am thankful for being such a bastardly bitch when I need to be, never giving in when I want to achieve something (as that is sometimes the only thing that helps you survive), no matter what it costs me, and consequently following my own high standards & applying them to others as well, even if it means to lose in the end - but at least I can look into the mirror every morning without having to puke.

Me wonderful wife and these guys:

l_fcdfa45093fca27cad16c38a07cbbf4c.jpg

My Ma, Pa, Sister, Brother, nephews, In-laws and (especially) my Grandfather.

My non-electronic friends and e-blood brothers (charles, peter).

Music. Film. Books. Art. Beer. Beer. Beer. Good Food. Beer.

and, life. It's a gift, plain and simple...a gift never to be taken granted and as long as I have it, everything else is gravy.

Today, I'm thankful for strong coffee and dark clothes that hide stains.

Also, in no particular order:

snow on the mountains

sushi night (Vancouver version of burrito night)

universal health care

organized labour

those little bags of Thinsations cookies

all the amazing musicians I've had the privilege to see over the years

campfires

maple syrup

wild salmon

and, of course, my friends, my little family, my crazy pug (is there any other kind?), and especially my LO.

1314132844_78f3617ea7.jpg