The Black Crowes

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kicking around the idea of buying the Friday webstream -- figure it might be nice way to end a horrible day.

Buddy of mine wanted me to fly out with him (he has the tix). Would've loved to but can't. There arealternative ways to get the webstream....

Below is a link to last night's Phil/CRB sets --- Neal Casal sang lead on some the American Beauty tunes, which kinda of surprised me. Realy liked his take on Sugar Magnolia.

Kinda wish the other guitarist wan't there - he was kinda of a one trick pony - guess he is Phil's tour manager.

http://www.jambands.com/news/2017/01/21/phil-lesh-kicks-off-brooklyn-bowl-las-vegas-run-with-complete-performances-of-workingman-s-dead-and-american-beauty

Below is a link to last night's Phil/CRB sets --- Neal Casal sang lead on some the American Beauty tunes, which kinda of surprised me. Realy liked his take on Sugar Magnolia.

Kinda wish the other guitarist wan't there - he was kinda of a one trick pony - guess he is Phil's tour manager.

http://www.jambands.com/news/2017/01/21/phil-lesh-kicks-off-brooklyn-bowl-las-vegas-run-with-complete-performances-of-workingman-s-dead-and-american-beauty

Neal is killing it here!!

They must be planning to release a live album or dvd:

The Magpie Salute

The Gramercy Theatre
New York City

01-22-2017

Source 1: MBHO 603A's KA 500 > Tascam DR-60D > CDWav (tracking) > Trader's Little Helper > FLAC 8 > Deluge

Special Thank Goes Out to Rich Robinson for finally Bending and Allowing Me to Tape the Last 2 shows........

• 1 month later...

Chris Robinson Brotherhood have announced the release of their upcoming live album, Betty Blends, Vol. 3: Self-Rising, Southern Blends, the latest installment in their series of live recordings captured and mixed by legendary Grateful Dead archivist Betty Cantor-Jackson.

“With Betty, we trust her sonic sensibilities and give her the space and freedom to do what the woman does, and what she does is beautiful and unique,” says Robinson. “It’s the stuff rock n’ roll dreams and recordings are made of. Viva la Betty!”

The album, which is set for release on May 5 via Silver Arrow Records, takes from CRB’s fall 2015 tour throughout the South, including cuts from their shows in Atlanta, Raleigh and Charleston in November of that year. The live tracks are the first offering in the series to feature CRB drummer Tony Leone.

Self-Rising, Southern Blends will be available as a 3-LP or 2-CD set. See the full tracklist below,:

Betty’s Blends Vol. 3: Self-Rising, Southern Blends Tracklist

Side A

I Ain’t Hiding

Got Love

Side B

Clear Blue Sky & The Good Doctor

The Music’s Hot

Side C

Roan County Banjo

I’m A Hog For You

Side D

Oak Apple Day

Get Out Of My Life Woman

Side E

Honeysuckle Interlude

Ride

Side F

Tales of Thunder Teeth

Girl I Love You

She Belongs To Me

It seems the tour is expanding all the time. It must be expensive to keep all those people on the road.

I didn't know this:

Sheryl Crow has two ace lead guitarists in her band, as she has for years — Peter Stroud and Audley Freed. . .
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't think I would be buying any new releases this year - but I may get this one:

THE MAGPIE SALUTE TO RELEASE SELF-TITLED DEBUT ALBUM JUNE 9, 2017 VIA EAGLE ROCK ENTERTAINMENT

NEW BAND CELEBRATES THE GUITAR TEAM OF RICH ROBINSON AND MARC FORD, BRINGING TOGETHER THREE KEY MEMBERS OF THE BLACK CROWES

THE MAGPIE SALUTE--a new band bringing together Rich Robinson, Marc Ford and Sven Pipien of The Black Crowes--will release their self-titled debut album worldwide on June 9 via Eagle Rock Entertainment. Produced by Crowes guitarist and co-founder Robinson, the musically tight and expansive album was recorded live in the studio in front of an audience at Applehead Recording in Woodstock, New York, except for the full studio track “Omission.” The album carries special significance as it marks the last recorded work by Eddie Harsch, the late Black Crowes keyboardist whose signature sound and gentle soul are woven into THE MAGPIE SALUTE.

The deeply soulful rock “Omission”--written by Robinson and vocalist John Hogg--is the album’s first single, arriving to radio in May, with a video to be released shortly thereafter. Look for the band to launch a national headline tour starting July 26 in Indianapolis.

In advance of the album’s release, THE MAGPIE SALUTE will issue a 10” vinyl 45 single of “Comin’ Home” and “Glad and Sorry” on Record Store Day, Saturday April 22 (U.S).

THE MAGPIE SALUTE--driven by the magic of the reunited Robinson and Ford guitar team--features musicians who’ve played together for decades throughout various projects and share a truly deep musical bond. Joining Robinson, Ford and Pipien in the band are drummer Joe Magistro and guitarist Nico Bereciartua. The group also boasts a fine cast of vocalists, including Robinson, Ford, lead singer John Hogg (Hookah Brown, Moke), former Crowes singer Charity White and background singers, Adrien Reju and Katrine Ottosen.

There is wide open musical freedom on the band’s debut album, with half of the 10 songs coming in over seven minutes in length, and the musicians’ wide-ranging roots are reflected in the diverse selections. They offer fresh takes of The Black Crowes’ “What Is Home” and “Wiser Time,” and interpret songs by Delaney and Bonnie (“Comin’ Home”), Bobby Hutcherson (“Goin’ Down South”), War (“War Drums”), Pink Floyd (“Fearless”), the Faces (“Glad and Sorry”), Bob Marley (“Time Will Tell,” which The Black Crowes covered on their second album) and the traditional “Ain’t No More Cane.”

I didn't think I would be buying any new releases this year - but I may get this one:

Great news, I will certainly be buying this one as well.   Mostly covers but I'm fine with that and look forward to hearing a new version of Wiser Time.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on the Hoffman board:

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Barefoot in the Head

New album set for July! Recorded in Stinson Beach in January of this year during a stormy few weeks on the the Northen California Pacific Coast. Lots of wood based instruments but it's not an acoustic album like had earlier been thought/hinted. Has Neal, Tony, Jeff, CR and Adam using lots of vintage equipment and everything from Banjo and Mandolin to Bells and Bongos. It's an incredible progression for this band and sounds so very much like them but also unlike anything they've ever done before.

• 2 weeks later...

Lack of money may be a reason why Steve is sitting it out.

Each ticket is $35 in Chicago. They are playing two shows at the Metro which holds 1100, according to Wiki = $77,000 over both nights. 

Guess that isn't too, too much when you have 10 musicians/roadies/management/travel/room/board, etc....

I paid $25 for CRB last October for a Chicago Gig. The hall that I saw them holds about 1000 and it was probably 2/3rds or so filled.

I can see a Crowes reunion happening in a few years.