The Black Crowes

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't Chris and Rich saying less than a year ago that they'd never speak to each other again?

And now they're about to get the band back together, but Steve Gorman is saying he'll never participate in what he describes as a money grubbing charade.

I'm placing pretty good odds on Gorman changing his mind the way the Robinson brothers apparently have.

Yeah, it sounds like nobody has even been asked to participate.  But that hasn't stopped the music press from sniffing around asking people if they're in or out.

On a different note, how is Gorman's book?   Does he dig into Mr. Crows Garden at all?  I was close friends for a long time with the bass player of that band, and I've heard his side of the story fairly in-depth.  I'd love to hear about that from someone else who was there.  

The book is great for all Crowes fans. The stories make it. The writing is somewhat sophomoric with a lot of lame foreshadowing at the end of each chapter. Tons of Chris bashing and surprisingly (to me anyway) a fair amount of shade thrown at Rich too. He does a fair amount of talking about the early days, mostly getting to know and be friends with Chris though. I think you'd like it.

I enjoyed Gorman’s book (I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Gorman). His narration is kinda funny, overly dramatic and f-bomb-laden, but I really enjoyed it all the same. Chris and Rich are just terrible people. Terrible. But those first 3 records will always get me, as will Ford and Harsch.

I enjoyed Gorman’s book (I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Gorman). His narration is kinda funny, overly dramatic and f-bomb-laden, but I really enjoyed it all the same. Chris and Rich are just terrible people. Terrible. But those first 3 records will always get me, as will Ford and Harsch.

I kind of lost track with that band after Three Snakes in the mid 90s. But I agree with you here that those first records were really excellent. You're about a decade younger than me so I can imagine how excited you must have been in that post-HS/college years. Hell, I was crossing the threshold of 30 and I thought bands like them and PJ helped to save rock and roll. 

I've said it here before but SH&MC is one of the very best records of the 90s. There's really not a dud in the whole bunch and the guitar tones on Sometimes Salvation is one of my favorite things in Rock. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I about 3/4 through Gorman's book  -- it is wonder that these two are back together, of course it is about money - but so it goes. I can see why Gorman is not involved, it seems like he has been quitting the band since the mid 90's.

The book is entertaining enough -- basically on one page Gorman calls Chris and asshole, then calls Rich one on the next page, then back to Chris, back to Rich and on and on and on. 

I about 3/4 through Gorman's book  -- it is wonder that these two are back together, of course it is about money - but so it goes. I can see why Gorman is not involved, it seems like he has been quitting the band since the mid 90's.

The book is entertaining enough -- basically on one page Gorman calls Chris and asshole, then calls Rich one on the next page, then back to Chris, back to Rich and on and on and on. 

I have not read it yet. I am hoping it shows up in e-book form on my local library's website. It used to be such things would not happen. But they recently got the new SRV book which was rather good. 

Yeah so they are playing by my house too lawn was $35. Show just went on sale started at $65 went to $400 for pavilion seats.. then a couple hours later they lowered the prices already. It’s crazy as the last time they came to nyc they played a venue 1/5 the size for about $50

A cynical retread of an overrated and unoriginal band whose music will largely be forgotten, and remembered for a stupid sibling rivalry. At the end of each show the brothers should get in a fake fight on stage and pretend to break the band up. Seems that's what people are after. 

I have not read it yet. I am hoping it shows up in e-book form on my local library's website. It used to be such things would not happen. But they recently got the new SRV book which was rather good. 

Yeah I got the book from my library -- he does have some cool stories about the Stones and their time with Page and Plant.