The Black Crowes

A lot of ridiculous things in that interview, but the idea that the Black Crowes would be inducted in the RnR Hall of Fame is the most laughable. I could see it happening as the list of great bands gets thinner. They were a decent derivative Southern rock band, that history will record as having no impact on music.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of ridiculous things in that interview, but the idea that the Black Crowes would be inducted in the RnR Hall of Fame is the most laughable. I could see it happening as the list of great bands gets thinner. They were a decent derivative Southern rock band, that history will record as having no impact on music.

IMO They have a strong case (in comparison to other that have gotten in recently).  Plus:  Great 4 records to start career, one of the best live bands of the era, had some hits.   Minus:  Copy of the faces/stones, uneven recording career, not a lot of influence on other bands.

I do not think they have been given any consideration yet with the nomination committee yet, so we will watch to see if that changes.

For me I loved them when they were kicking it...always looked forward to the shows.

The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame is pretty laughable and ridiculous to me. 

I don't see "derivative" as a negative. Innovation in art, IMO, is overrated  Playing music in a style and tradition of what has come before, particularly when that style has become exceedingly rare, as the Crowes brand of roots rock was in the 90s, is a fine thing to do, especially when you can do it as good as its ever been done (a point for which there will understandably be varying opinons).

To me, this performance is as good as the Stones in '72 or '69, or anything by Delaney and Bonnie, Joe Cocker, Leon Russell or anybody else from the late 60s or early 70s.  When the Crowes were on, they were pretty fucking amazing to me.  And they knew their American roots musical history and paid homage to it at every show they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oswpjZg2hTU

Agree that the RnR HoF is laughable, and they'll be letting everybody in to keep the business and the big show each year going. I enjoy some derivative music. But for me there are bands that are obviously derivative and say nothing and do nothing that hasn't been done before (Ryan Adams). And there are bands that are able to assimilate their influences and channel them through their own unique voice (Wilco). Your opinion may differ.

I was pretty blown away the one time I saw the Crowes live. Just not sure they should be honored in the same place as the Beatles, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Dylan, etc...

So the Steven Hyden "interview" was great because Steve just took over and started telling stories. That intro was really painful to hear. I can't figure out why he does an intro and then repeats everything throughout the interview. And why does he say the word "band" so much. I guess I should post this in a Steven Hyden thread...

I'm about 46 minutes in for now. I forgot that Chris was a preppy guy back then. There are videos of Mr. Crowe's Garden live shows out there. If you watch them - Chris sounds like he is straight out of Georgia (which he was). It's amazing to think that Steve had only been playing for a few years by the time they made those first two albums.

Listening to the rest now -

I think those Amorica demos are what we have on the bootlegs that appeared many years ago now. The story is that Chris gave copies to someone or more than one person and then they spread around from there. 

It's funny now that can't find that stuff out there to grab. I have 8 cds of Tall/Band songs. Plus of course they put those Tall/Band sessions out several years ago now.

Interesting that he says it was mostly a shitty time being in the band -

To your ear, what are the most “real” records or artists, past or present?

The thing is, you can talk about being retro and “only” liking music from the ’60s and the ’70s, but at least it was pure. But there are bands doing that now too, like Wilco, and some underground bands from New York. I like those Grizzly Bear records, and Durand Jones & The Indications are just great. These are people making really great music.

• 6 months later...

Saw the Chris Robinson Brotherhood again last night. It was another great show. Tight vocals. Adam was in the mix well and he didn't over play. Casal played a lot more Telecaster - more than I expected and he was great through out - real great. Chris was pretty much on, too. His rhythm guitar playing still doesn't really add anything, but he doesn't get in the way, either.

I would definitely catch them.

Apparently he is putting together some sort of band (with former Black Crowes members) to play Black Crowes songs at a festival. I have read it is going to be called As The Crow Flies.

Oh man...wasn't he just taking shots at Rich and Marc for touring on the back of the Crowes brand?

Compared to last year when I saw CRB at the same place (Thalia Hall)  - this past weekend it did seem that the band had a bit of a chip on the shoulder - esp Casal -- I always enjoyed his playing, but this weekend -he was playing with much more emotion - taking center stage - doing the typical rock star guitarist stuff -  which was great. Perhaps this is how he normally plays - but I don't I don't remember him playing like it last fall when I saw them.

Not sure if this has any correlation with Magpie - but if it does - I hope it continues. A healthy competition is never a bad thing.

I did talk about Chris' As the Crow Flies band with a few people - everybody just seemed tired of everything... 

I say keep both going and keep the Crowes on indefinite hiatus. Though I do miss Gorman.  Did Steve ever comment on Magpie - I was wondering if Rich even asked him to join. 

• 1 month later...

Must admit - the Magpie shows I heard didn't do much for me, either -- guessing Chris's new band won't either. Much prefer the brothers just doing their own solo things. 

Though I understand why they are doing it - guessing they get a better draw playing Crowes tunes. Also, it is nice that Ford is back playing with Rich and it's too bad that Eddie passed away.

He playing a Thalia, which is great - but probably will still pass. Much rather see CRB.

Esp since the tickets are a more than CRB. 

He sold out Thalia.

I can't figure out why the band name would be spelled Crow instead of Crowe!!!!!