• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

Looks like there is a release date of Sept, 2019 for Gorman's book

HARD TO HANDLE

The Inside Story of the Black Crowes

An insider biography of the Black Crowes by drummer and cofounder Steve Gorman

The Black Crowes played big, Southern rock and became popular precisely while hair bands and grunge were rebelling against it. They stayed on the radio through hip-hop’s rise to the mainstream and dominated the charts no matter what the tastes of the day might have been. They’ve sold 35 million albums and they continued to tour up until they finally had enough of each other in 2013. Even then, more than twenty years after Rolling Stone named them the Best New American Band in a 1990 cover story, they drew thousands of fans across the country at over 120 nearly sold-out dates on what ended up being their final tour.

That last tour was so successful that they planned to do a bigger, truly final 25th anniversary tour in 2015. Unfortunately, the animosity between the three founding members didn’t allow that to happen. Instead, they reverted to their old habits of fighting, blaming each other, drinking too much, and indulging all the other demons that the music industry seems to feed upon. While Steve Gorman may have felt relief at not having to head back out on the road, he did feel bad for the band’s fans. He felt he owed them one final show. This book is that final show.

Genre: Nonfiction / Music / Genres & Styles / Rock

On Sale: September 24th 2019

Price: $14.99 / $18.99 (CAD)

Page Count: 288

ISBN-13: 9780306922015

I wonder if Chris will try to block it? 

If the brothers were smart, they'd use the publicity surrounding the publication as an opportunity to put out more previously unreleased material. It's hard to imagine that actually happening, but it is sad knowing how many likely songs there are out there that may never see the light of day...

• 7 months later...

Been listening to a lot of Casal since he passed away -- I don't think I have listened to this one since a day or two after it popped up on etree --- a very solid first show, for sure. Still completely bummed about how CRB imploded at the end and then with Casal's death makes it even more so...

Chris Robinson Brotherhood
March 28, 2011
The Echoplex
Echo Park, CA

Source: JW Mod AKG 460/mk46/ck1x (DINa) > EAA psp-2 > 722
Location: 20' From Stage - At Soundboard ~2' Left of Center - 8' High
Transfer: 722 > Firewire > Samplitude SE v8 > CD Wave 1.94.8
Lineage: 24bit/48kHz > 16bit/44.1kHz > FLAC (Level 8)
Editing: Samplitude: Resampled to 44.1kHz (Ultra High 2)
Waves L2: Threshold: (Set 1: -4.5; Set 2: -5)
Dither to 16bit (IDR Type 1 Normal)
CDWave: Tracking
FLAC Frontend: FLAC Conversions (Level 8)
Foobar2000: Live Show Tagger: Tagging

Taped and Edited by Mikey Jones (terrapinj AT gmail.com)

-Set One-
01 40 Days
02 Appaloosa
03 Star or Stone
04 Mister Charlie
05 Tomorrow Blues
06 Girl I Love You
07 Vibration and Light Suite

-Set Two-
01 Eagles on the Highway
02 Tulsa Yesterday
03 Tough Mama
04 Beware
05 They Love Each Other
06 Sunday Sound
07 Star Crossed Lonely Sailor
09 So Sad
10 Ride
-Encore-
11 crowd
12 Older Guys
13 Shouldn't Took More Than you Gave

Chris Robinson - Guitar and Vocals
Neal Casal - Guitar
Adam MacDougall - Keyboards
George Sluppick - Drums
Mark "Muddy" Dutton - Bass

I am guessing the brothers will have to do something together sooner than later. Maybe they will back as duo and call themselves just the Crowes. I can see them doing well in 2000-4000 seated theaters. 

Or they can go out as trio with Ford. Of course, Ford will have to be fine with taking 10-15% of the cut or just be paid a flat rate per show.  

I haven't seen the story on this other than it happened. Are there details somewhere?

I really don't know all the details - I am sure they are out there, though. But when MacDougall was booted out or left, I just figured the band days were numbered. I think they did two more tours afterwards and then Robinson announced the hiatus. Perhaps the term 'imploded' is not accurate. I just couldn't see Casal being too happy or comfortable playing in the band without MacDougall, since he was still playing him in the Circles band. 

I think a woman was involved it all this - but again I haven't follow any of it. 

He also had that As The Crowe Flies thing going on. Apparently - he left his 3rd wife and took up with the girlfriend of the guy who did all the artwork for that band. She is in that Chauffeur's Daughter video.

He also had that As The Crowe Flies thing going on. Apparently - he left his 3rd wife and took up with the girlfriend of the guy who did all the artwork for that band. She is in that Chauffeur's Daughter video.

Wasn't it odd that it was/is actually called 'As the Crow Flies' - without the e on the end of crow?? I sort of wondered if somebody made a mistake.

And Marcus King - who I respect - but don't really care for all that much. 

Marcus didn't play the last couple gigs though. The band with him had a lot of potential but was not gelling when I saw them...

Maybe they will start making songs/videos to send to each other - as Liam Gallagher is doing. 

(You probably know this - but Oasis and The Black Crowes actually did a tour a together in 2001.)

(You probably know this - but Oasis and The Black Crowes actually did a tour a together in 2001.)

Oh yes, the Brotherly Love Tour. Don't forget opener Spacehog (also with brothers). This should have been a great bill, but it was a lackluster evening in Chicagoland anyway.

For some unknown reason - I have been watching interviews with Noel and/or Liam all summer on Youtube.  Apparently Liam has attacked members of Noel's family (online). Which seems pretty low to me. 

Much like recent Rich and Chris interviews - I have noticed they often get asked when they are going to reunite Oasis. I take it Liam wants to due to the fact he has lost a great deal of his fortune. But Noel does not seem interested. 

I think when Magpie first started Chris called it a "Black Crowes cover band" or something like that. And then of course he does that As The Crow Flies thing. 

Of course they are in for it when Steve's book comes out this fall. 

anyone want to dole out a BC recommendation or two, either studio or something live via archive or dime?

I own one Black Crowes record - "The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion."  I like it quite a bit (I'm a sucker for southern guitar rock), though others may have more informed recommendations. 

I own one Black Crowes record - "The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion."  I like it quite a bit (I'm a sucker for southern guitar rock), though others may have more informed recommendations. 

Yeah. The guitar tone on Sometimes Salvation is one of my favorite moments from that band. But I haven't really gone past the first 4 records so I'm not really a hardcore person with them.