The Black Crowes

I have never seen bad company so may have to see this. Especially at red rocks. Clearly Rich has been influenced by them and free. Would rather see Ralphs but oh well. Always loved Rodgers voice.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. All the hearsay seems to be stacked up against one guy, which makes me suspicious. 

So when the majority of the evidence over years and years indicates one guy is consistently a dick, you become suspicious of the evidence?  For someone who acknowledges repeatedly that he doesn't know much about a given band and that he isn't more than a casual fan of the band and claims that he doesn't have a dog in the fight, you sure do seem to be siding with one guy in this band.

If you think that CR was the Crowes, I question the depth of your understanding what made the Crowes great. Without Rich and Steve and Marc Ford and Eddie Harsh, the Crowes would not have achieved what they did based on CR's talents alone.

Chris is a pretentious douche. Marc Ford's and Rich's guitars made that band what it was (for me). Chris' lip service to everything being about the music is hysterical.

So when the majority of the evidence over years and years indicates one guy is consistently a dick, you become suspicious of the evidence?

Where is all this "evidence" of which you speak? Is there a deposition? Do we have an independent study? :lol

I saw CR in concert tonight and a woman next to me told me she tried checking out a Rich Robinson show. It was in a tiny club, a small crowd, and she's an old Deadhead about my age. St. Rich looked right at her and said, "I'm not going to play any of that hippie bullshit tonight." She was mortified. He then went on to bad mouth his brother to the audience. So I guess these guys are not exactly models of superb behavior, are they?

I'm no Crowes expert, but I know enough to be aware that Adam Macdougall, who played with them for years, now plays with CRB. I guess not everyone finds CR as intolerable as his brother apparently does.

At the show tonight, CR made a point of turning the vocals over to George Porter, Jr. twice. Not exactly diva behavior, but what do I know? Cheers!

For those interested, here is the setlist from the show. It was a blast, and they were all smiles:

Get Out of My Life Woman

Space Captain

Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa (Sad Song)

I'm a Hog for You

Sneaking Sally Through the Alley (feat. Porter vocal)

The Letter

Hard to Handle

Magic Carpet Ride > Turn On Your Lovelight (feat. Porter vocal)

A friend of mine was in this band when they were called Mr. Crow's Garden, and got booted before they changed their name and their sound.  The lineup was him, Chris, Rich, and Steve.  He remains on good terms with Rich and Steve, but not Chris.

For whatever that's worth.

Where is all this "evidence" of which you speak? Is there a deposition? Do we have an independent study? :lol

I saw CR in concert tonight and a woman next to me told me she tried checking out a Rich Robinson show. It was in a tiny club, a small crowd, and she's an old Deadhead about my age. St. Rich looked right at her and said, "I'm not going to play any of that hippie bullshit tonight." She was mortified. He then went on to bad mouth his brother to the audience. So I guess these guys are not exactly models of superb behavior, are they?

I'm no Crowes expert, but I know enough to be aware that Adam Macdougall, who played with them for years, now plays with CRB. I guess not everyone finds CR as intolerable as his brother apparently does.

At the show tonight, CR made a point of turning the vocals over to George Porter, Jr. twice. Not exactly diva behavior, but what do I know? Cheers!

For those interested, here is the setlist from the show. It was a blast, and they were all smiles:

Get Out of My Life Woman

Space Captain

Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa (Sad Song)

I'm a Hog for You

Sneaking Sally Through the Alley (feat. Porter vocal)

The Letter

Hard to Handle

Magic Carpet Ride > Turn On Your Lovelight (feat. Porter vocal)

All you need to do is watch some/read some interviews with him to see what the deal is. Does he really think someone in a Porsche from a "big record company" is going to be interested in what he is doing at this point? I think he is a great singer and makes great music.

But - much like David Crosby, I would not want to spend any amount of time around the guy. It is nothing new really though - must rock musicians are pricks. 

I would think you can trust what Steve says about the demands he made concerning the anniversary tour. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to fan any flames here. Just passing along a CRB update.

http://registerguard.com/rg/entertainment/34235966-67/let-it-grow-chris-robinson-brotherhood-nurtures-organically-sourced-music.html.csp#

If the Black Crowes fans/CRB haters would prefer that I start a separate thread for them, just say the word.

They're still looking for a permanent bassist, I assume. Even though Dave Schools plays in Hard Working Americans, WSP is pulling back the touring reins big-time (according to a press release yesterday).....

Not trying to fan any flames here. Just passing along a CRB update.

http://registerguard.com/rg/entertainment/34235966-67/let-it-grow-chris-robinson-brotherhood-nurtures-organically-sourced-music.html.csp#

If the Black Crowes fans/CRB haters would prefer that I start a separate thread for them, just say the word.

Not a hater - but you have to at least admit it is sort of a drag to hear him go on about how groovy he is. 

What I don't get about the recent drama (last few years) is that the band had this amazingly prolific period with Before the Frost (double album of amazing songs!), Log Cabin DVD, Warpaint, Warpaint Live, Croweology, acoustic/electric tour.  What happened?  It seemed the band was moving in a direction of what CRB has become.  Band politics are interesting.

• 1 month later...

It will interesting to see if he ends up making an album with Paul on vocals. That would be great. 

btw..they already announced that Mick Ralphs is coming back on the europe tour...so I guess will be the end of Rich.

I agree but the question is can either of them write a good song still.

Rich has a new album coming out soon - I think. I have actually never heard any of his solo albums. 

Listened to it a couple weeks ago. Lots of very good tracks....

Here's a really good track:

http://richrobinson.net/news/426666/premier-of-the-first-single-from-flux

And another:

http://www.hennemusic.com/2016/06/black-crowes-rich-robinson-streams.html

That 2nd song sounds like an unreleased Black Crowes song. I may get his stuff some day. I'm not all that crazy about his brother's new effort - at least what I have heard. 

• 3 weeks later...

Happen to walk by a record shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming and found Rich Robinson's Paper and The Ceaseless Sight releases in the used bin -- Ceasless is definitely better than Paper, but they are both are pretty decent upon one listen.

Nice to see Donnie Herron in the Paper credits - must have been right around the time he joined Dylan's band - he does play a nice fiddle on one tune.

He's also on some Black Crowes albums. I guess Rich re-did the Paper album for this latest re-release. Something about the vocal tracks being destroyed in a flood. 

Yeah I got the re-release version -- he writes about the flood in the liner notes -- never realized that Herron was on any of the Crowes releases.  Also saw the the below in a store window a couple of stores down - actually my wife spotted it first.

632_225x225_Front.png?region=%7B%22name%