The Black Crowes

That's odd. You would think Chris would not be like that. Sounds like the shit that went down in RATT or some other metal band.

Well not really new with these guys.  Remember when they first broke up and got back together in around 05 they started the tour without Gorman but with Marc Ford.  Pretty sure reason that Gorman held out was because of the "deal offered"...if you remember it was like 3 shows....so I bet at the time he got diluted. 

I am surprised that Rich would actually put that out there in a written statement.  It puts him in a weird light.  I mean seems like he is OK with the fact that Gorman gets less then "the brothers" already...so he may have been involved in the original dilution decision but now he is standing up for Gorman.  Who knows but strange the way it came out.

Sorry to see it end but not surprised and time will tell anyway.

Hope to see them play at least 1 more time if they get into the Hall of Fame (doubtful but maybe deserved).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Gorman though...comparing Chris to Axl.

I didn't catch that. I clicked on the link and saw that the thing was 40 minutes long, so I didn't listen to it. :lol

Seems weird, though. If the idea is that Chris is a diva type, that sounds a little exaggerated, too. He's playing small clubs, essentially by choice, because he digs what he's doing musically. I understand not everyone likes it, but that seems pretty cool to me.

Then again, I'm not a huge Black Crowes fanatic, so there might be all sorts of detailed drama here that I know nothing about. Full disclosure.

CR has made his money, he doesn't need to be playing bigger gigs. But even last Crowes run they were playing medium/large-sized theatres. I think if he's trying to put the financial squeeze on Gorman or his brother or whomever says a lot about his character. I've never met him but nfolks I know that have say he can be "difficult," to put it nicely.

Either way, I'd venture a guess that they'd get back together again some time down the road.

CR has made his money, he doesn't need to be playing bigger gigs. But even last Crowes run they were playing medium/large-sized theatres. I think if he's trying to put the financial squeeze on Gorman or his brother or whomever says a lot about his character. I've never met him but nfolks I know that have say he can be "difficult," to put it nicely.

If anything - again, without knowing a lot of backstory or hearing anything from the other side - it seems like kind of a weenie move for Chris to put specifics of a financial negotiation out there as part of an official statement. Maybe CR and/or his attorneys made that offer knowing it would be turned down, thus ensuring a breakup without actually quitting himself? There are all sorts of possibilities.

Didn't people bitch about an arrangement within Wilco at one point regarding royalties and so forth, using the "reduced to a salaried employee" argument? And yet look how easy it is to become a member of Wilco now:

http://www.wilco.coop/about-us/become-a-member/

I didn't catch that. I clicked on the link and saw that the thing was 40 minutes long, so I didn't listen to it. :lol

Seems weird, though. If the idea is that Chris is a diva type, that sounds a little exaggerated, too. He's playing small clubs, essentially by choice, because he digs what he's doing musically. I understand not everyone likes it, but that seems pretty cool to me.

Then again, I'm not a huge Black Crowes fanatic, so there might be all sorts of detailed drama here that I know nothing about. Full disclosure.

Steve talks about it in the 1st 10 minutes or so - then he want onto sports.

. Maybe CR and/or his attorneys made that offer knowing it would be turned down, thus ensuring a breakup without actually quitting himself? There are all sorts of possibilities.

I thought this, too, but why wouldn't he just say "I'm done?"

If anything - again, without knowing a lot of backstory or hearing anything from the other side - it seems like kind of a weenie move for Chris to put specifics of a financial negotiation out there as part of an official statement. Maybe CR and/or his attorneys made that offer knowing it would be turned down, thus ensuring a breakup without actually quitting himself? There are all sorts of possibilities.

Didn't people bitch about an arrangement within Wilco at one point regarding royalties and so forth, using the "reduced to a salaried employee" argument? And yet look how easy it is to become a member of Wilco now:

http://www.wilco.coop/about-us/become-a-member/

RIch put out the statement not Chris.

I thought this, too, but why wouldn't he just say "I'm done?"

Just to be passive-aggressive? :lol

Seriously, I have no idea. It does, though, as suites posted earlier, put Rich in kind of a weird light. Like, "Hey, everybody, see what a douchebag my brother is?" doesn't really make anyone look like a hero.

And don't get me wrong, I am in no way defending CR. He may be a tool, I have no idea. I don't have a dog in this fight (I know, terrible expression...).

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I got my copy of Betty's Blends Volume 2 in the mail yesterday. So far the sound is pretty good.

I picked this up, too, last year when it came out. I think it's a limited edition (like Vol. 1). I tried to pick up vol. 1, also, but it's now going for close to $500 (vinyl) and no cds/downloads available.

Yeah - it is a bit strange. It should be decent summer gig for him.   We all have bills to pay, I guess.

I was going to say money talks bullshit walks.

Plus maybe there is connection with Jimmy Page and Paul Rogers???