The Black Crowes

LeAk

Ah. I'm surprised they're not streaming more of the album since it's coming out on Tues. I'm a little disappointed to hear the crummy takes on it so far. It's been a while and I was looking forward to a batch of good new tunes.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. I'm surprised they're not streaming more of the album since it's coming out on Tues. I'm a little disappointed to hear the crummy takes on it so far. It's been a while and I was looking forward to a batch of good new tunes.

I don't think are into doing that sort of thing, along with interviews, etc. I think the album is ok - but does make me think of New Earth Mud - with those lyrics about the old west and gamblers or whatever. The sound although seemingly live, seems sanitized to me and a bit bright.

I think the problem with Warpaint is that is says "The Black Crowes" on it. There's almost too much expectation and preconceived notions from fans of the band that it's almost impossible to live up to. Warpaint doesn't sound like the previous Crowes albums, like A-man said it is reminiscent of New Earth Mud, which may be because Chris can't sing like he used to back in the Southern Harmony/Amorica days. After 2 listens. I like this record. But it doesn't sound like the Black Crowes.

Some sort of slowed down Led Zeppelin deal and/or some song on Lions?

The choruses on several of these songs are certainly catchy.

....like Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4.

HAHAHA!

come on!

you hear what i'm talkin' about, right?

and that riff is very Zeppelin-esque w/ a tinge of early Sabbath....at least that's what I hear

Two thoughts from a crowes board -

Froggie - are you going to any of those shows?

March -

03/02/2008 - Sayreville, NJ @ Starland Ballroom (On Sale 01/18)

03/04/2008 - New York, NY@ Irving Plaza (On Sale 01/18)

03/05/2008 - Boston, MA @ Somerville Theatre (On Sale 01/18)

03/07/2008 - Chicago, IL @ Park West (On Sale 01/19)

03/08/2008 - Owensboro, KY @ Sportcenter (On Sale @ ticketmaster.com)

03/09/2008 - Atlanta, GA @ The Tabernacle (On Sale 01/18)

03/15/2008 - Austin, TX @ Stubb's BBQ (SXSW Festival)

03/19/2008 - San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore (On Sale 01/20)

03/20/2008 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Avalon (On Sale 01/18)

03/24/2008 - Byron Bay, Australia @ East Coast Blues Roots Music (On Sale)

03/26/2008 - Perth, Australia @ Challenge Stadium (On Sale @ ticketmaster.com)

03/28/2008 - Adelaide, Australia @ Barton Theatre (On Sale @ venuetix.com)

03/29/2008 - Melbourne, Australia @ Palais Theatre (On Sale @ ticketmaster.com)

03/30/2008 - Sydney, Australia @ Hordern Pavilion (On Sale @ ticketek.com)

- April -

04/01/2008 - Wollongong, Australia @ Win Centre (On Sale @ ticketek.com)

04/02/2008 - Canberra, Australia @ Royal Theatre (On Sale @ ticketek.com)

04/03/2008 - New Castle, Australia @ Civic Theatre (On Sale @ ticketek.com)

04/05/2008 - Auckland, New Zealand @ Logan Campbell Centre (On Sale TBA)

04/09/2008 - London, England @ Brixton Academy (On Sale TBA)

04/11/2008 - Amsterdam, Holland @ Heineken Music Hall (On Sale TBA)

04/19/2008 - Niagara Falls, NY @ Allegany Events Center (On Sale 2/16)

04/24/2008 - Laughlin, NV @ Harrahs (On Sale @ laughlinriverrun.com) ***

04/25/2008 - Stateline, NV @ Harrahs (On Sale 2/16) ***

04/26/2008 - Valley View, CA @ Harrahs (On Sale 2/15) ***

- August -

08/29/2008 - Milwaukee, WI @ Harley Davidsons' 105th Celebration (On Sale)

Some videos from the show last night (warning: the sound quality on most of these isn't the greatest, Whoa Mule being the best):

Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLqs-NKTDl4

Walk Believer Walk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys_aze3Phzo

Oh Josephine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aguDdcvDh0E

Wounded Bird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9bz3FUd6uE

God

so much for this:

The Black Crowes are a taper friendly band that encourage their fans to audio record their performances for personal, non-commercial, home enjoyment. The band's management does a good job of informing the venues of this policy. Analog, DAT, consumer or pro equipment are welcome, as long as it is self contained and powered.

No SBD access, and No video recording is permitted. Microphones w/stands are fine to use from your seat (the standing request is to keep them at head height) and please do not set up directly in front of the soundboard. Please respect the crew and venue staff as they do their work as well as all those around you so that everyone has a good time.

Trading/Torrents: The Black Crowes ask that you please do not trade or torrent any studio material (released, unreleased or session work), SBD or Video Recordings.

Brothers Of A Feather: The Brothers of A Feather acoustic performances are "NO TAPING" performances until further notice.

This show, along with all of the upcomming "One Night Only" shows, were susposed to be no taping at all because they're planning on releasing it in the future possibly. It's like the Brother's of a Feather tour which still showed up on etree at some point.

I had that - it sounded better than what they released. I read somewhere that they are going to start doing a Dick's Picks type of deal - hence, no more soundboards on torrents sites, as well as, all that unreleased studio stuff that has been around for a long time.

i think its good but not great. after by your side and lions, this record could have been a sterile classic rock poopfest like the stones last record, but i think luther dickenson grounded them a bit more than that. his slide playing is really the heart of warpaint for me thus far (after one listen). the lyrics aren't as meaningful as the southern harmony/amorica era, but even 3 snakes was lacking after that one-two punch.

basically, its better than it could have been and i think some of the songs will transfer well live.

very excited about the park west friday.

Gold in Them Hills has really grown on me. I love the saloon piano, the various "movements" that bring out the themes and emotions in each verse, and that the song feels like an artifact from nearly a century ago. Isis meets There Will Be Blood meets Citizen Kane, but without any of the madness and twice the regret.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like some dudes did - I see there is post of Mp3s and talk of a dvd on amorica 2. I didn't even know about it.

~ Some photos ~

I like this version of Wiser Time - pretty nice groove.

"sting me could almost be on warpaint.... we're all so sick of listening to hypocrites and liars... they keep lying and we'll keep writing the songs"

"i guess we recorded 15 songs for warpaint... 11 on the record... GDOTR we thought was a good place to start. lots of rock n roll lexicon on this album. theres a real counterculture message for people in the know. its about how freedom is a two way street. If you want to have a conversation about it, thats great, but you cant just throw around words like Freedom"

"Soul Singin' is one of our most popular songs, that wasn't ever really that popular. The Black Crowes is funny that way because we have a lot of songs like that."

"... When it comes to writing, typically Rich and I have always been the same. Now Rich and I live very far apart, which is excellent for our writing music. Now Rich sends me songs on CD's and I go and work on them, and my goal is to take them and destroy whatever it is that he thought the song was going to be. Whats funny is how MAD he gets when I turn his songs into something he never thought they would be.... but its great because Rich has written so much stuff that we always have stuff to work with" then he lists a bunch of songs, including Cursed Diamond, that he has used this "songwriting method" on. LOL.

"as a singer its nice to get out of the rainforest. the rainforest is thick and lush and all the plants and creatures are begging for the sunlight, thats what the Black Crowes is."

"Theres nothing on the album thats a 4th or 5th take. Evergreen, Gods Got It are first takes. We're a band that doesnt mind it a little loose."

"When Rich and I, or anyone, plays acoustic the performance is a musical performance. Then a couple weeks into that you're begging to make a big righteous rock n roll sound."

"I love roots music a lot of imagery and sound come from country gospel funk bluegrass etc. WBW is minimal version of the blues. not about going to someplace bad. its about getting past it into the sun. the gentle people, hippie-zombie people walking into the sun beautifully."

"Wiser Time is obviously classic road song. People ask why would you write a song like that? Well, I've lived my life out here, I've contributed a great deal of passion and energy to it. Any time Rich and I sing close harmonies like that.... we are family and we are chained together by that sound until death, which is great, I love that sound"

"the present represents for us the time to be super-visceral. this is not the time for us to be super-clever... thats for advertising executives and horrible people like that