The Black Crowes

going back to girl from a pawnshop, that might be my favorite black crowes song, especially live. goddamn is it good.

southern harmony, listened to on nice headphones, is my favorite crowes album

but overall, i like amorica more i think. i've said this a lot on here before but BYS is severely underrated. that might be my 3rd fave.

I give 3 snakes the edge over BYS but I like both. I agree, Southern harmony is a great headphone record. Lots of complicated guitar layers on there.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one I like best is Tall and then Amorica. I know they are essentially the same album, but I have a fondness for spontaneous raw music.

How are the Lost Crowes? The Southern Harmony-Three Snakes Period is my favorite, but the tracklisting to a lot of the Lost Crowes appeared redundant. I know they are different takes, but from a guy like yourself who knows the Crowes well, are they worth it.

SH & MC

TS & OC

Amorica

SYMM

BYS

Warpaint

Lions

or for all of you VC'ers

SYMM

SH & MC

Amorica

TS & OC

BYS

Lions

Warpaint (did I get this right?)

You also get the unreleased album The Band.

Disc: 1

1. Paint an 8

2. Another Roadside Tragedy

3. If It Ever Stops Raining

4. Wyoming & Me

5. Predictable

6. Never Forget This Song

7. Lifevest

8. Grinnin

9. My Heart's Killing Me

10. Peace Anyway

Disc: 2

1. A Conspiracy

2. Evil Eye

3. Cursed Diamond

4. London P.25

5. Dirty Hair Halo

6. Hi-Head Blues

7. Feathers

8. Nonfiction

9. Tied Up and Swallowed

10. Wiser Time

11. Sunday Buttermilk Waltz

12. Descending

13. Lowdown

14. Tornado

15. Song of the Flesh

16. Thunderstorm 654

The songs I like from Three Snakes:

Under a Mountain

Good Friday

Bring On, Bring On

How Much for Your Wings?

Better When You're Not Alone

How are the Lost Crowes? The Southern Harmony-Three Snakes Period is my favorite, but the tracklisting to a lot of the Lost Crowes appeared redundant. I know they are different takes, but from a guy like yourself who knows the Crowes well, are they worth it.

I like them and think they are worth the money. Songs are redundant but they are different more ragged to my ears than on Amorica. I do prefer the Tall disc over the Band disc by a wide margin, but both are pretty good. Amorica is a darn near perfect album for it's genre and in comparing it to Tall I have to use the cliche's. tall is more ragged, looser, I just like the texture better overall. When I choose something to listen to it usually vascilates between Tall, Amorica and Southern Harmony.

My take:

Tall

Amorica

Southern Harmony

Band

Shake Your Money Maker

The Black Crowes Live at the Greek

Live at the Fillmore

Three Snakes

And I hardly listen to: Warpaint, Lions and By Your Side.

speaking of the Crowes. Just recently got my hands on a vinyl copy of Warpaint. I think this album is pretty solid overall. It doesn't rank up there with their peak in the mid 90's. But I like the fact that it doesn't try to hard to be anything but what it is. The vinyl sounded nice, except it is a dopey picture disc.

speaking of the Crowes. Just recently got my hands on a vinyl copy of Warpaint. I think this album is pretty solid overall. It doesn't rank up there with their peak in the mid 90's. But I like the fact that it doesn't try to hard to be anything but what it is. The vinyl sounded nice, except it is a dopey picture disc.

I like these two songs the best:

Oh Josephine

Whoa Mule

You also get the unreleased album The Band.

The songs I like from Three Snakes:

Under a Mountain

Good Friday

Bring On, Bring On

How Much for Your Wings?

Better When You're Not Alone

I started liking "One Mirror too many" after I saw them do it live. It was actually the highlight of the concert I saw. Sounds very anthemic live.

Well after hearing your responses about the Lost Crowes, I went to look at it on I Tunes and it wasn't there. I swear around the time it was released it was available . what gives? Is it still in print? I know I can get it on Amazon, but would rather just do I tunes or a local store.

Well after hearing your responses about the Lost Crowes, I went to look at it on I Tunes and it wasn't there. I swear around the time it was released it was available . what gives? Is it still in print? I know I can get it on Amazon, but would rather just do I tunes or a local store.

Buy the cds. It's a neat little package.

Well on ya'lls advice I spent a few hours Saturday running around town with my 2 year old son searching for the lost crowes (not a pun). Anyway, I finally found a copy and WHOA MULE! this is awesome. I've listened to all of Tall and half of Band and I'm loving it. I told myself to just listen to Tall on its own merits and try not compare it to Amorica. This is amazing. Feathers and Tornado completely floored me. And with the exception of a few instances where I did compare songs to thier final Amorica incarneration, I thought this was really raw and a perfect picture of a band in its prime. Anyway, I'm still giving Band a full listen, but it is not disapointing. I think the Crowes may be the best straight forward rock band in the last 20 years! Not that there is alot of company in the category.

A few comparisons: The Tall version of A Conspiracy is nowhere close to Amorica (I think that Chris really worked on his phrasing for the final Amorica version)

The Tall version of High Head Blues sounds flat during the chorus compared to Amorica

However Cursed Diamond IMHO is better on Tall and Descending on Tall is different enougth to stand alone. Althougth the Amorica version of Descending maybe the Crowes high water mark.

Anyway, if you set it apart it really is strong to these ears, like its own little world.