The Black Crowes

Stopped by Plan 9 here in Richmond before work yesterday and was surprised to see Before The Frost on sale, which I immediately picked up.

I can't seem to figure out how to download Until The Freeze though. The address they provide to go to and enter your code doesn't have a place to enter a code. If anyone figures this out once you purchase the album let me know. Maybe they aren't posting it on there until 8/31?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read some reports that Walmart already has the album out for sale. I may try to get over there later and see if it is out. I just some photos of the packaging - it looked pretty cool. Instead of doing it the way Wilco does, I guess there is a card of some sort in the package with a code number on it that you need to download the album they are giving away.

They had it on sale at my local Wal-Mart this afternoon. I looked at it and returned it to the shelf. I haven't bought a BC album since the one with the lion on the cover.

I've listened to "Before the Frost" all the way through roughly 3 to 3 1/2 times so far and I like it.

It's hard for me to define the album. This isn't a full on straight ahead Rock and Roll album like in the past. The best word I can come up with to describe it is funky. Even if you take out "I Ain't Hiding", which sounds like something that Franz Ferdinand could have written, the album just has this funky feel to it. In a way it reminds me a little of some Allman Brothers jam type stuff or some Derek Trucks style mixing menagerie. There is some latin beat type grooves going on in some of the songs. Luther is in great form, he seems more fluid in his playing than what he was on Warpaint.

Also, I have yet to find out who is singing on "What is Home" but I want to know where they have been. It doesn't sound like Rich, from the little bit that I have heard, and I don't have a lot of vocals to compare to with regards to Luther, but wow, who ever it is needs to sing more. Beautiful vocals on that one.

All in all, it is definitely a great album, not as great as Southern Harmony, what album is, but more complete feeling than Warpaint.

Also, I have yet to find out who is singing on "What is Home" but I want to know where they have been. It doesn't sound like Rich, from the little bit that I have heard, and I don't have a lot of vocals to compare to with regards to Luther, but wow, who ever it is needs to sing more. Beautiful vocals on that one.

It's Rich, he's gotten much better since his solo album.

All in all, it is definitely a great album, not as great as Southern Harmony, what album is, but more complete feeling than Warpaint.

Good to know I'm not alone in this. It actually grabbed on the second listen and I'm enjoying it more and more. "A Train Still Makes A Lonely Sound" is still the standout track for me. Very catchy chorus on that.

i just saw them on 07/10 at a festival, so the setlist was short. but it was still a great show. luther has definitely gelled with the band more. everyone talks about MFF being gone but i think they really miss ed. this new keyboard player, imo, sucks.

I agree 100% Eddie Harsch was so much better that this new keyboard player, who is just average......

That is nice that they offer the free album in FLAC or Mp3. Of course, when I grabbed the FLAC zip folder, it turned out to be empty. HA HA

I like this album. It has a pretty nice sound, I'd say. I think I like the so-called free album better than the other album.

I am hoping some more of the shows that went into making the album pop up somewhere. Although, it could be only the one leaked out.

Ok - they sent me another code, so I could grab the FLAC files. So if you have problems, don't hesitate to get in touch with them.

According to a post I just read on another message board, the only songs not released from the shows are: Little Lizzie Mae, Find A Pearl, and an untitled instrumental.

Here is the tracklist from the one show that was sent to me last winter:

1. Chris banter

2. Aimless Peacock (1st time played)

3. Greenhorn (1st time played)

4. The Shady Grove (1st time played)

5. The Shady Grove (take 2)

6. Shine Along (1st time played)

7. Shine Along (take 2)

8. What Is Home (1st time played)

9. What Is Home (take 2)

10. Fork In The River (1st time played)

11. Roll Old Jeremiah (1st time played)

12. Houston Don't Dream About Me (1st time played)

13. Kept My Soul (1st time played)

14. Kept My Soul (take 2)

15. Make Glad

16. And The Band Played On (false start)

17. And The Band Played On (false start)

18. And The Band Played On (false start)

19. And The Band Played On (false start)

20. And The Band Played On (1st time played)

Encore:

21. So Many Times (1st time played)

22. The Dolphins (1st time played)

23. Ain't No More Cane On The Brazos

never been a crowes fan, except for the singles back in the early 90s. have tried several times. on a whim, i got this lp. i love it. it's the first album in years that i've actually want to go back and listen to again in order to pick up the nuances. just great lyrics, compelling songs in a classic format, and excellent production. ALL albums should be recorded this way. i'm only listening to the first album at this point. i love luther's playing. not much more to say. i'm really excited about diving back into their catalog in the future and i'm dying to hear the unreleased tracks from this album.

That is a Fred Neil song I do believe. Chris has quite the thing for songs about the old west, or whatever you want to call it.

Here the links to the setlists, notes, reviews, etc.:

February 21st

February 22nd

February 28th

March 1st

March 7th

It appears they were offering a "reward" for anyone who pointed out if a taper was around. I guess just the one show has leaked out so far. It is interesting that they actually note that it was taped (February 21st).

Also, I read somewhere that the vinyl version has the songs in a different order.

That is a Fred Neil song I do believe. Chris has quite the thing for songs about the old west, or whatever you want to call it.

Here the links to the setlists, notes, reviews, etc.:

February 21st

February 22nd

February 28th

March 1st

March 7th

It appears they were offering a "reward" for anyone who pointed out if a taper was around. I guess just the one show has leaked out so far. It is interesting that they actually note that it was taped (February 21st).

Also, I read somewhere that the vinyl version has the songs in a different order.

thanks for the info. gonna check this out. curious about the different order on the vinyl. btw, appaloosa is awesome.

I really like the song Greenhorn. I am surprised you don't care for the Amorica/Tall/The Band songs.

I found this at Wikipedia:

Before the Frost...Until the Freeze (vinyl version)

Side 1

1. "Aimless Peacock" – 6:40

2. "Good Morning Captain" – 3:24

3. "Been a Long Time (Waiting on Love)" – 7:47

4. "Greenhorn" – 7:12

Side 2

1. "Appaloosa" – 3:35

2. "The Shady Grove" – 4:42

3. "The Garden Gate" – 4:21

4. "Shine Along" – 4:47

5. "Roll Old Jeremiah" (C. Robinson) – 4:40

6. "Houston Don't Dream About Me" – 5:05

Side 3

1. "I Ain't Hiding" (C. Robinson) – 5:57

2. "Kept My Soul" – 5:23

3. "Lady of Ave. A" – 5:20

4. "Make Glad" – 4:18

5. "And the Band Played On..." – 4:12

Side 4

1. "What Is Home?" (R. Robinson) – 5:13

2. "So Many Times" (Hillman, Stills) – 4:53

3. "A Train Still Makes a Lonely Sound" – 4:23

4. "Fork in the River" (C. Robinson) – 4:11

5. "The Last Place That Love Lives" (C. Robinson) – 4:57

I really like the song Greenhorn. I am surprised you don't care for the Amorica/Tall/The Band songs.

I found this at Wikipedia:

cool. i wonder which sequence the band prefers. i do like a few songs on amorica, but not familiar with the lost crowes stuff. like i said before, gonna dig into the catalog a bit after i digest the new one. thanks again for the info:)

Umm, this is amazing. is luther on the left? i love the long hair, beards, and flannel shirts. rock at it's finest. think i'm gonna see them in atlanta next month.

That's some good quality video, and a great song.

It's always worth seeing them.

i watched a show on Travel Channel last night - Johnny Colt: At Full Volume - seems like this may be a regular show? he went to Thailand and did some adventure-y things - did some Thai fighting/boxing, got a Thai tattoo on the back of his head, did some rock climbing, was around cobra snakes, etc... kind of interesting to watch...